R1 shaft options and opinions

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
So last year I was fitted and the end result was stiff shaft in the r1 with a ss average around 92-93. This year my SS is down round 88 right now. as it's early in the season I'm sure it will pick up with practice and confidence and the stiff should be fine, however right now the stuff isn't cutting it. Drives lack power and distance, and I'm not getting off tees well. I think a slower controlled swing will help but with as already down I am contemplating buying a regular shaft for it for the time being til things come around.

Does anyone have opinions or suggestions on what would work well with the R1? I know nothing about the million options out there. My flight tends to be a little draw with an acceptable height at 10.5 degree loft. My misses are are pulls and pull hooks with an occasional slice usually from over correcting something.

I don't know that I'm looking for a change in launch or anything drastic but just a good shaft that can help me find more fairways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are fine with the current shaft sounds like a swing flaw might be the issue maybe take a lession and see if the instructor can figure out why your driver has lost some pop

I think you are fine sounds like a swing flaw might be the issue maybe take a lession and see if the instructor can figure out why your driver has lost some pop

Agreed. Give it some time and don't overthink it too much.

There is no doubt that I have some sort of flaw in my swing lol. I was just surprised to see my swing speed dip and figured the shaft change may be in order since I'm obviously not loading it enough

You could always give it a shot if you can possibly demo some, but I wouldn't spend the money unless you know for sure.

Listen to Hawk.

Here's a thought - head to a store where you can demo the R1 with a regular flex shaft. Seeing the results may help answer any questions about how much benefit you'll get from a shaft vs. swing change.

Listen to Hawk.

Here's a thought - head to a store where you can demo the R1 with a regular flex shaft. Seeing the results may help answer any questions about how much benefit you'll get from a shaft vs. swing change.

This. And then, if you don't see a big difference, it's time to get a lesson. I've been hook city lately with my driver, and couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong, and a lesson finally allowed me to suss out the fact that it was 95% an alignment issue. The other bit was overactive hands. Lessons are good.

Yeah I think I will definitely go into golf galaxy and do a side-by-side comparison see what happens.

How much difference is there between different manufactures and shaft types. I know there's a lot of talk about kick points and things like that should I look into any of that or is that overthinking

Yeah I think I will definitely go into golf galaxy and do a side-by-side comparison see what happens.

How much difference is there between different manufactures and shaft types. I know there's a lot of talk about kick points and things like that should I look into any of that or is that overthinking

I think you are asking some closely related but different questions.

The fact there is no standardization among the various manufacturers for what R, S and X means leads me to conclude there is a lot of difference between the assorted shaft manufacturers and their products.

There was a thread not too long ago discussing that the average golfer sees almost no difference in performance between flexes, so I think it is fair to conclude switching from S to R probably won't make too much difference for you.

Lastly is the question of switching shafts from one OEM to another. I don't know enough to comment on that, best leave that one for the experts like Hawk.

Go hit a R1 in regular flex and see if it helps i would not worry about kick points and bend profiles at this point unless you are trying to achive someting else by changing shaft ie. lower ball flight or reduced spin

Go hit a R1 in regular flex and see if it helps i would not worry about kick points and bend profiles at this point unless you are trying to achive someting else by changing shaft ie. lower ball flight or reduced spin

Yup I'm not looking for any specific difference In launch or spin rates. When I bought it last year I tried both regular and stiff and the stiff gave me better carry and dispersion numbers. But I really had to get after it to hit it as long as I'd like. Now with a slower SS my thought is with a regular I wouldn't have to swing out of my shoes. I can dial it back and still out enough load on it to get the distance. I suppose I'd only end up back in the predicament I was when I opted for the stiff which was a little bit of spraying my drives despite getting decent carry distances.

I think you are asking some closely related but different questions.

The fact there is no standardization among the various manufacturers for what R, S and X means leads me to conclude there is a lot of difference between the assorted shaft manufacturers and their products.

There was a thread not too long ago discussing that the average golfer sees almost no difference in performance between flexes, so I think it is fair to conclude switching from S to R probably won't make too much difference for you.

Lastly is the question of switching shafts from one OEM to another. I don't know enough to comment on that, best leave that one for the experts like Hawk.

I remember seeing that thread. Interestingly I have a copy if taylormade a official fitting guide and at the time I bought the R1 I was on the cusp if stiff which If I recall correctly they have the recommendation of 93 and above for stiff. I questioned it at the time but the numbers said go with the stiff. Now I'm beginning to think it was a mistake. I played fairly well with it towards the end of last season but the start of this year has been rough.

Yup I'm not looking for any specific difference In launch or spin rates. When I bought it last year I tried both regular and stiff and the stiff gave me better carry and dispersion numbers. But I really had to get after it to hit it as long as I'd like. Now with a slower SS my thought is with a regular I wouldn't have to swing out of my shoes. I can dial it back and still out enough load on it to get the distance. I suppose I'd only end up back in the predicament I was when I opted for the stiff which was a little bit of spraying my drives despite getting decent carry distances.

I think going to regular flex there is a chance some of you distance will come back with out fixing you swing but Accuracy is likly to suffer

I remember seeing that thread. Interestingly I have a copy if taylormade a official fitting guide and at the time I bought the R1 I was on the cusp if stiff which If I recall correctly they have the recommendation of 93 and above for stiff. I questioned it at the time but the numbers said go with the stiff. Now I'm beginning to think it was a mistake. I played fairly well with it towards the end of last season but the start of this year has been rough.

My SS averages right around 95. I've definitely had times when I lost as much as 5mph because of swing flaws (then regained the lost MPH's when they were fixed). So I understand what you are talking about. I happen to have both stock R1 shafts - the Aldila and RocketFuel (both stiff). The RocketFuel is softer in the tip section so it feels completely different - if someone gave it to me without me knowing what it was I might have interpreted the softer tip to mean it was an R flex. I can see some changes in performance based on shaft but they are negligible, especially in comparison to the changes I see because of my hacker swing. I don't mean to minimize what you are looking to do, just based on my own experiences in this same space I don't see the shaft making a huge difference for you. Just my 2 cents.

My SS averages right around 95. I've definitely had times when I lost as much as 5mph because of swing flaws (then regained the lost MPH's when they were fixed). So I understand what you are talking about. I happen to have both stock R1 shafts - the Aldila and RocketFuel (both stiff). The RocketFuel is softer in the tip section so it feels completely different - if someone gave it to me without me knowing what it was I might have interpreted the softer tip to mean it was an R flex. I can see some changes in performance based on shaft but they are negligible, especially in comparison to the changes I see because of my hacker swing. I don't mean to minimize what you are looking to do, just based on my own experiences in this same space I don't see the shaft making a huge difference for you. Just my 2 cents.

Nope not belittling my concerns at all....it's very helpful info. I think you all are probably right that it won't make a huge difference but I had to come to the experts here to be sure I wasn't going down the wrong path.

I will test the regular again and see of it makes any difference. I see some cheap used ones in ebay so if anything I can pick one up and give it a real world test.

I tried all the popular drivers out right now and not a single one felt better than the R1. So I know a new driver isn't even a thought right now anyway but had to give them a
Try anyway as like most people it's an addiction for me!

Back