Looking to buy new irons

Thrash

Champions Tour 2040
Reaction score
Handicap
After being made aware my TaylorMade 300 Forged irons are actually USGA non-conforming, I'm in the market for some new irons. My handicap fluctuates from about 8-12, but my downfall is around the greens. Ball striking is definitely the strength of my game. That being said, I'm not about to play a muscle-back blade, so I'm in the market for that players club with a little bit of forgiveness thrown in (AP2, i20 J40 DPC, etc). Any advice from people who have played any of the clubs mentioned above or in that category?

Are you playing your current irons well? As an 8 hdcp you're not going to a qualify for the us open. Just enjoy your current irons.

But shiny things are fun. I wouldn't discount the Adams XTD irons. They're bombers.

Out of curiosity, what makes the TM 300 non-conforming?

Out of curiosity, what makes the TM 300 non-conforming?

I'd like to ask the USGA the same thing :) I think it has something to do with the grooves TMaG used on their pre-2010 irons.

There are a lot a fine options. I'd just say don't buy anything until you demo the DPCs, they are really really good.

There are a lot a fine options. I'd just say don't buy anything until you demo the DPCs, they are really really good.

Those are definitely at the top of my list to try. Need to get my hands on a DPC 6i.

I'd like to ask the USGA the same thing :) I think it has something to do with the grooves TMaG used on their pre-2010 irons.

Still legal for you as an amateur

You might like the X-Hot Pros

Still legal for you as an amateur

Good to know. I wasn't sure what the regulations were for club tournaments, posting scores for handicap, etc.

Pre 2010 grooves are legal for most armature play until 2024 I believe. I think state championships and higher are where they are not allowed. If that is the only reason you are looking for new and don't play at that level you may not hae to.

The Taylormade Tour Preferred line is great this year. Apex Pro's were also fantastic. Just my favorites in that category.

The Taylormade Tour Preferred line is great this year. Apex Pro's were also fantastic. Just my favorites in that category.

I like the look of the tour preferred cbs a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look of the tour preferred cbs a lot.

They performed really nicely too. A very versatile club.

They performed really nicely too. A very versatile club.

How was the distance of the tp cb vs apex pro?

Haven't tested them head to head, but I think the CBs have a slight edge. You'd have to see for yourself though on a monitor though.

Looking to buy new irons

Depends on the person. I don't think the blow the doors off but they are serviceable.

Appreciate all the feedback. As it stands right now the J40 dpc are at the top of the list, followed closely by AP2 and tour preferred.

I have just recently switched to the AP2 714s and am in love with these irons. In the last two years, I have worked my HCP between 6-8 and decided to make the switch to a "players" club. The AP2s give me just enough forgiveness but allow some more workability not to mention they look awesome. Nothing beats the feeling of hitting a great shot with a forged club. Until this purchase, I was a big TM player but have been getting annoyed with the frequency they release clubs. Titleist meets all of my requirements with these sticks and I know that they will be around for a while. Good luck with your decision.

Back