Any BBQ smokers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you have or have any of you used the Masterbuilt electric smokers? How well do they work and more importantly, hows the quality of the smoked food? Thanks!!!

A friend of mine has one and really enjoys it. I haven't had anything off of it but it's easy and he says it gives a good smoke to his food.

Do any of you have or have any of you used the Masterbuilt electric smokers? How well do they work and more importantly, hows the quality of the smoked food? Thanks!!!

I also have one of these. great device, virtually newbie-proof. The quality of the resulting meat is as good as any smoker out there, you're just limited to using chips and a bit limited on the size of what you can fit in the box. Other than that though, it smokes just like anything else. Cleanup is easy, maintenance is very low, and ease of use is incredible. The very first things I smoked in mine were chicken thighs... *literally* the best chicken I've ever had.

Small shoulder for a family gathering today:

Not barbecue smoking, but my dad and I are smoking 25 lbs of meat and two 25lb turkeys today. We've done this a ton in my life time, but I've never documented it. Hard part is over.

uma8yve7.jpg

ymaqyra9.jpg

2y4a2upy.jpg

7egumese.jpg

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 owner here :) Smoked a brisket and ribs for Father's day.

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 owner here :) Smoked a brisket and ribs for Father's day.

That's a great cooker. I have one of those as well as my Lang offset. Can't beat the smokey mountain for the price.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've got six racks of ribs sitting with 3 different rubs sitting in the fridge and three sauces (fruity, sweet, spicy) are simmering as we speak. Going to smoke them over my favorite pecan wood. Tomorrow is going to be delicious.

I wish I could get pecan wood around here!

I'm gonna do my first brisket tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I'm gonna do my first brisket tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Full brisket or just the flat? You have a solid game plan?

Full brisket or just the flat? You have a solid game plan?

Just the flat, 5.75lbs. Got it marinating in my rub right now. I'm gonna smoke it in mesquite. I'm figuring about 7 to 8 hours.

I'd keep it in the smoke for a couple hours then foil. The flat can really dry out, especially when it's by itself. Adding some moisture in the foil is never a bad idea. Good luck. You'll learn a lot with your first one.

I'd keep it in the smoke for a couple hours then foil. The flat can really dry out, especially when it's by itself. Adding some moisture in the foil is never a bad idea. Good luck. You'll learn a lot with your first one.

I was debating foiling it. How many hours in should I do that would you think?

Just a small one getting ready for tomorrow:

f15bd9a22b2fc5b1bb0d2386b3fff5ed.jpg

I was debating foiling it. How many hours in should I do that would you think?

I usually foil about 2, maybe 2.5 hours in. Any longer than that and the smoke really isn't penitrating the meat anyway. The foil will help it steam and stay moist.

I usually foil about 2, maybe 2.5 hours in. Any longer than that and the smoke really isn't penitrating the meat anyway. The foil will help it steam and stay moist.

Do you leave the foil on the rest of that time or do you take it off near the end?

Do you leave the foil on the rest of that time or do you take it off near the end?

that's kind of a personal preference thing. I leave it on for the whole time with brisket, because I want all the moisture I can keep in the flat. The points are always juicy, and I'll usually cube them up, throw them back in the pit with sauce to set a glaze and do the burnt ends. If you're not injecting, I'd suggest leaving in the foil the whole time and maybe even adding a little beef broth in the foil just to steam that moisture into the meat. If you inject, inject with the grain of the meat and that will keep it from having a bunch of dark "wounds" where the needle went in and injected it.

that's kind of a personal preference thing. I leave it on for the whole time with brisket, because I want all the moisture I can keep in the flat. The points are always juicy, and I'll usually cube them up, throw them back in the pit with sauce to set a glaze and do the burnt ends. If you're not injecting, I'd suggest leaving in the foil the whole time and maybe even adding a little beef broth in the foil just to steam that moisture into the meat. If you inject, inject with the grain of the meat and that will keep it from having a bunch of dark "wounds" where the needle went in and injected it.
Awesome

Dinner
db02de5c654b90848ee7291f384218ba.jpg

Those would work well in my smokey mountain. I'd love to get some actual sticks of pecan to use in my big cooker some time.

Yeah smoking isn't a big thing so we don't have a large selection of types wood but the local store (BBQ's Galore) is good for everything else.

Smoking wings and brats right now on cherry wood.

Smoking wings and brats right now on cherry wood.

Nice. I've never done brats before let me know how they come out. I just wrapped 6 racks of ribs after having them smoke for 3 hours and have no beer (yet).

Nice. I've never done brats before let me know how they come out. I just wrapped 6 racks of ribs after having them smoke for 3 hours and have no beer (yet).

Smoked brats are different flavoring than regular that you grill, poach, etc. They are truly awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back