How deep is your rough?

Where I play, the initial rough is very tough to play out of. It isn't very thick but it is really coarse and can be inconsistent so there are plenty of funky lies to be had. Not much in the way of on course trees either so they really let the rye grass grow and it becomes a Shinnecock-esqe, deep, gnarly fescue soup that is brutal to get out of. So if you miss the fairway, don't miss by very much.

my home course has some thick stuff to contend with, but the area off the fairways is mostly full of trees, creeks, moguls, OB and such. Plenty of other types of trouble to get into.

At my home course the rough is long and sticky, and seems to stay wet forever. Many a ball has been lost just off the fairway and it takes a Tiger-esque swipe just to get the ball out.
A few of us THPers played there recently and the rough was a source of frustration for everyone by the end.

It really is absurd there. If you find it, 9 times out of 10 the only smart play is to take your medicine and hit a short iron or wedge layup. Unless you're checkered, in which case you take out 4 hybrid and knock a ridiculous 200 yard shot over several bunkers and a water hazard onto the green. :bulgy-eyes:

At my course it varies, but it's mostly average to slightly longer than average, with a few lush spots where it can get really tough. It's almost always fairly wet and sticky though, with this being the PNW, so a bad lie can make things quite difficult.

The rough at the county public courses here is something you would like to avoid, but not terribly deep. If I had to estimate, probably inbetween 1.5-2.5 inches. It's thicker around the greens than it is surrounding the fairways.

It depends on the course. Most don't keep that high this time of year in flea but as the summer creeps in it will become challenging

Which I feel is a factor when it comes to slow play..........

My home course generates it's 126 slope rating from small greens and trees everywhere. If the rough was deep the place would be impossible.

Somewhere between fair and atrocious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

How deep is your rough?

At my homecourse the rough is pretty forgiving, when there is grass that is. We have a young course, 9 of the 18 holes are just open for a year and should have been opened half a year later.

Played a course yesterday where there are three cuts of rough:
About 3 inches for the first cut.
About 6 inches for the second cut.
Knee-high for third cut.

And it's heavy grass, where your ball will sink to the ground. So actually it was brutal :D

As the spring rain has started to fall the rough has begun to grow. I had a few shots out of it yesterday that were simply terrible. It all depends on the lie though. My approach into 17 green was only 100 yards but my ball had settled into what looked like an old divot in the rough. You could easily see the ball but there was a thick clump of grass behind it and my shot came up short and into the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I play public golf courses all the time .. And I especially love the older courses . Depends where you hit it .. Some spots a inch or less .. Others (where maintenance neglects ) could be almost a foot .. Literally . What I love about public golf courses , never know what to expect. .. Did the country club thing for a few years .. But public courses are the bomb .. IMO . The sad thing. , a lot of park dept courses have unlimited budgets when it comes to course maintenance and upkeep . Unfortunately they tend to be in worse shape than country clubs . Must be union work ethic ( I'm a union guy.. So I know )

Both of the courses I play here locally in Australia are public courses but very well kept, rough anywhere betwen 1/2 inch and 2 inches depending on the hole and how far up the hill you are. Always well kept rough though so its not impossible to get out of and gives the player a chance. Slope anywhere between 128 and 130.

Seems like most responses seem to be pretty deep or at least deeper than what I think mine is. Now I'm going to have to measure it the next time on out.

Here in California precipitation and thick rough are a very rare sight from May through October. This year we have mandatory watering restrictions so I imagine the rough will be non existent.

Right now its about 5 inches. We've been getting quite a bit of rain, and the rough simply can't be mowed right now. It's usually kept around 3-3.5 inches. Needless to say, you don't want to be in the rough right now. My average score per hole when staying in the fairway is about +0.5 over par. My average score per hole when getting in the rough is about +2.0 over par.

~Rock

Both of the courses I play here locally in Australia are public courses but very well kept, rough anywhere betwen 1/2 inch and 2 inches depending on the hole and how far up the hill you are. Always well kept rough though so its not impossible to get out of and gives the player a chance. Slope anywhere between 128 and 130.

Only in Australia, there are things in the rough that are trying to kill you. And the variety of murderous nature is huge. Definitely protects the pace of play though.

I'd say its 3-4". In spots is really thick, and in some locations it is sparse, which is worse when your ball lands on bare dirt, between two clumps of 4" rough.

Found out today the rough mowers will be set to 2-1/2 inches.

Played today, and the rough was definitely longer than I remember it being at the course I play my league at. There were a few shots where the club just got grabbed, and I don't know that's ever happened there. Probably the only thing I don't like about my G15s.

I played a course recently that only had rough on the backs of a few greens to keep the ball from rolling into the woods. Other than that they eliminated all the rough. It was interesting because the combination of no rough and natural sandy ares combined for many balls to just keep rolling into the trees. Rolling through doglegs or being slightly sideways was very penal.

My home course is trimmed really really short ... the way I like it ... now back in the 70's and 80's it was lot longer ...:angel:

My home course rough is not bad at all right now. Maybe 1.5". With our Bermuda fairways the rough lays down in the winter when it goes dormant and is just now really beginning to grow hardily again. By late June and all the way through September it can get super gnarly. 3 inch bermuda rough can just swallow a ball as they just drop down to the bottom and don't sit up.

Back