Why did you start playing?

My wife and I know several couples who we are good friends with. When we were all out, the guys were all talking about golfing together and I was sort of the lone man out. I had clubs but had never used them. When we took a group vacation down to MB last summer I asked if I could go along and golf with them and they said yes. I played like poop, but have been trying to improve ever since then.

My dad got me started when i was 8. He played in a league and i showed interest when i was young.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't really remember learning how to play, but my Dad played and he always took me.

I started playing because my father played and was really good at it. I told myself when the time was right, I was going to pick it up and be better than him. I'm getting there. Not quite where I want to be or where he was in the peak of his game, but I will get there. Now it's a passion he and I can share together.

Coaching football and got invited to play with the other coaches in a fund raising scramble. I had hit a few good shots where we actually used my ball and that was enough to pique my interest. Eventually bought me a cheap set of Intech $200 set of clubs and a junior set for my oldest son. It turned into something we could do together and hopefully for many many years to go. We've moved up in equipment and play every chance we get. Now my youngest son is starting to show an interest. Yay!! On that note, my eldest now spanks me and qualified for state as of today. He plays next Monday and Tuesday!!

I was a junior worker, and my boss played, he suggested I would try. I thought it could be fun, and a smart way to become better work friends.

He married my sisters best friend, I was his best man and I'm his sons godfather.

I started playing because my father played and was really good at it. I told myself when the time was right, I was going to pick it up and be better than him. I'm getting there. Not quite where I want to be or where he was in the peak of his game, but I will get there. Now it's a passion he and I can share together.

Quick Hijack!!

I just had to laugh at your user name!! That was the code to open the doors to the bathrooms at Orange County National this Sunday during the Love is in the Air event. It just struck me as funny.

My Dad was an avid golfer and took me along to play a few times when I was fairly young. I played, but wasn’t so much into playing golf as I was into experiencing golf. I mean, I was fascinated by such things as the crack of persimmon woods hitting balls, the clatter of metal spikes on pavement and paved paths, finding (mostly badly cut) balls on the course, the smell of leather golf bags, examining all the golf paraphernalia, meeting the characters at the course, etc.

Then, later on in life, for some reason (maybe to recall/relive the experience?), I thought I’d like to try playing. So I walked into a golf shop and made the salesman very happy when I bought the whole kit and kaboodle (a set of MacGregor Heritage woods and irons, putter, bag, shoes, balls, tees, etc.), and off I went. And I liked it, both playing and meeting the people who played.

At various times since then, I’ve had the opportunity to play a lot of golf in stretches. I mean, I would play almost every day for several years, then play only occasionally for a few years, then go on another golf bender, then play infrequently for a while, etc., etc. Presently, I’m on what may be my final bender. I hope it lasts as long as I do….

For me I owe my passion for the game to my grandfather. One spring morning he took me along to drive the cart. What he didn't know was the minute I laid eyes on that RAM wood driver it would be over. Would give the world to be able to tee it up just one more time.

Quick Hijack!!

I just had to laugh at your user name!! That was the code to open the doors to the bathrooms at Orange County National this Sunday during the Love is in the Air event. It just struck me as funny.

Lol! That's pretty funny. I actually use the user name for pretty much everything got it from Jeter's old Six4three5 Nike Jordan cleats, but your story is better lol.

I had friends who played who invited me along with a text at 6 in the morning that their 4th was too drunk to get out of bed. Amazingly enough, I wasn't too drunk to get out of bed. That was almost 7 years ago. That game's addictive.

My late father really loved the game and was a + handicap for many years. He was a career Army man, and played on some of the Army golf teams in various places, stateside and overseas. He tried to get me interested in the game when I was younger, took me with him to the course a lot when he was stationed at Kagnew Station in Asmara Ethiopia (now Eritrea). I mostly would caddie for him, hit a few balls now and then. I didn't really get the "bug" until the early 80's , then it bit really hard. I have had an on again/off again love affair with the game ever since. The off part was partly due to giving up in disgust a few times, but mostly put it aside for family raising kids, work, and my own time in the Army. I often wish I had gotten the bug when I was younger, who knows what could have happened.

My dad didn't start playing until I was around 15 it so. He took me sporadically, but I didn't really get going until my early 20s when I started working with some guys that played on a golf league.

my grandfather asked me if i would like to hit golf balls with him when i was 12 years old. that was in 1972 and have been hooked ever since. i took off about 7 years from the game when i became a volunteer fire chief in my home town. then my son six4three5 started showing a lot of interest in the game, he got me back in to golf in a big way, new irons, new woods, new bag, new shoes. that was 2 years ago. i just hope i can help my son get to be as good a golfer as he can be. he has a lot of talent and i hope some of my experience can help reach his best game possible

The way things have worked out for me, golfwise, I'm tempted to answer the question with "just to prove I can spend my time as fruitlessly as the next guy"....

However, the real reason is that, when I was a young lad, not even 10 years old, I was absolutely fascinated with the golf equipment I saw stored away in the back entrance of my friend's house (his parent's clubs). Over the next few years, I became determined to give golf a try, and find out the strategy connected to each of the different clubs in the bag. I first played golf when I was 12, and have had the golf itch intermittently ever since.

I bought a cheap set so I could go hit the driving range with some coworkers. When I moved up to Washington, a couple of the guys I worked with played so I started trying to play with them. What began as an excuse to get out with a couple friends and drink, turned into a love of the game and I've been playing since.

My dad always played and took me as a kid but I never really took to it. Once I got older me and some friends used golf as an excuse to get away from our girlfriends for a day and drink, smoke and be merry.

Somehow it turned from a social thing I did with friends to a personal love affair with the game.

Because my grandpa played. He was my inspiration.

I owe it to my dad for introducing me to the game at age 12. I feel in love with the game the moment I first pured a drive. I was also very bored with baseball mostly standing around as an outfielder. Golf was a great excuse to quit baseball.

Mom and dad both played so whenever they went out I wanted to as well. They bought me a set of juniors. Then I went to a little golf camp and they got me my first full set of clubs and I loved it. Stopped playing for a while but this summer I needed something to break the monotony of baseball and picked up my clubs again and have been addicted since

Tapatalkin away

My great grandpa was head pro at Mountain Dell Golf Course here in Utah for 27 years. Before that he was head pro of what is now the Salt Lake CC and other courses around town. His wife was an elite player as well and was known all over the state. Their son (my great uncle) was all state and won multiple state titles but unexpectedly his mom died way too young and both great grandpa and he went into a tailspin. My uncle wasted his talent and life on drugs and alcohol.

Since I was young, I've always wanted to fulfill the dream and carry on the family legacy. Something my uncle couldn't do.

I just started playing this year. I started playing for several reasons. I'm 37 years old and I work as a registered nurse. I work in a stressful environment and I need something to do during the week that will help relieve stress and get me outside. I live in an urban area after growing up in the mountains of West Virginia. It seems that besides parks, the only place to escape the urban sprawl of mankind is the golf course. It's very relaxing and scenic for me to walk or ride a golf course and see trees, hear birds, and smell grass. I know that sounds cheesy but it's the truth. Another reason is that I like the challenge of golf and the strategy and complexity. It challenges the brain. I have always been fascinated by golf but never took the leap and played. I'm so glad that I took that leap!!

Sincerely,
Kenny

My company had an annual golf outing with customers and he needed 1 more person.... I went out with my brother a couple times, and I was hooked. Joined the local club in town, bought clubs (and more clubs... and even more clubs...).

Almost 10 years later, and I want to get out even more then I did when I first started playing.

My father got both me and my brother playing when we were kids

Learned back in Middle School. My parent's got me lessons and my first bag for my birthday.

Now, I'm addicted.

Back