Birdie on the 1st! he survived though.

baldguy

Part-Time Sasquatch
Reaction score
Handicap
15.3 GHIN
So today I stepped up to the first tee and pounded my driver... right into the center of a blackbird that decided to try for an interception. I've never even seen that happen before. He dropped straight to the ground and lay there, not moving for at least 2-3 minutes. My playing partner and I both assumed he was dead and just kindof looked at each other in disbelief. A couple other birds came over and started pecking at him, which was even more strange... then he got up. He was hopping around by the time we left for the green. Didn't see him fly off, but he wasn't acting like he was injured - just stunned. Definitely the strangest thing I've experienced on the golf course.

Randy Johnson-esque. Very cool story and what a bizarre mid air collision. I've never had anything like that happen, but my ball did end up in a robins nest before.

Randy Johnson-esque. Very cool story and what a bizarre mid air collision. I've never had anything like that happen, but my ball did end up in a robins nest before.

hehe, funny you say that. My buddy's response was "dude, you just Randy Johnson'd that bird!" :D

Funny story. I never hit anything on the fly, but I did hit a goose once with a badly bladed wedge, knocked him down, and he was flopping around for a bit. They like to hang out in the fairways here off the Menominee river--and crap all over them. I watched him for awhile, expecting him to have a broken wing at least, felt pretty bad about it too. Then he, and the rest just flew away. I was relieved at first, but then thought he should have died instantly in a puff of feathers taking a hit with my massive ball speed and all. lol

hehe, funny you say that. My buddy's response was "dude, you just Randy Johnson'd that bird!" :D

That's funny. My buddy and I were out last weeks as a guy we were paired with almost hit one. He teed off and the bird flew almost into the ball. He spread his wings and seemed to hit the break to avoid it. We made the same randy J comments. Happy hunting sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely thought of this when I read his post!

I'm amazed that the bird survived. I saw a bird get hit mid-flight once as a teenager only about 30 yards off the tee and the impact was very similar to Randy Johnson's kill.

Glad yours survived.....I had a buddy nail one with a 3W about 25 yards after he hit it....lets just say there was lots of feathers involved.

this was a pretty big bird. not quite a crow... they're called "grackles" but I used "blackbird" because I wasn't sure anyone would know what a grackle is :). I also think I caught him just right... he definitely was alive the last time I saw him. and when we finished 9 I looked back to see if he had dropped dead later, and there was no bird.

images

That's just amazing that that happened, I wonder what the odds of that are?

Those things are tough! There is one that is always dive bombing my roommates cat, it's pretty funny to watch. The cat even caught it once but it got away, and this is a cat who kills a pigeon and brings it home every week or two.

Glad it was ok. Small target! I hit a sheep at home park golf club just outside London many years ago, right in the side, with a low but fully hit driver. It didn't even flinch. Just carried on eating...

Glad it was ok. Small target! I hit a sheep at home park golf club just outside London many years ago, right in the side, with a low but fully hit driver. It didn't even flinch. Just carried on eating...

haha! I think I would have fallen over laughing if I had seen that. awesome.

haha! I think I would have fallen over laughing if I had seen that. awesome.
My playing partners were very sportsmanlike, and it was only about 15 minutes before they were able to carry on, after wetting themselves laughing at me....:bulgy-eyes:

One of my first times out as a kid I hit a seagull on the 1st hole, my dad hit a squirrel running in front of his ball on the 4th hole and I hit an old lady in the nose on the 8th. The guy behind us said "you guys are hot today". Disclaimer: on the 8th I pulled a high 9iron left and over a tree that was in front of the next tee box. It was a short par 3 course and my dad and i both yelled fore a bunch of times. When we got there she had her glasses in her hand rubbing her nose. She was laughing and said "I heard you yell fore and looked up instead of down." I felt awful and her husband was pissed. About a year later I got hit in the collar bone. I was in the middle of the fairway when I turned to grab my clubs. Guy never yelled when he hit his drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty impressive feat, glad the bird was OK! All I've ever hit was a turtle... which was not impressive in the least since it was on the rollout from a nasty slice.

You weren't playing around here today were you?
zapububy.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

that's pretty crazy. My buddy skulled a 7-wood and hit a Canada Goose square in the tail pipe. But that goose was sitting on the fairway. Getting one mid-flights is pretty epic.

I did that to a gold finch in a high school meet. And that's my state bird!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using tapatalk

This gave me a good laugh, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I had a buddy hit a squirrel the best part was it ran towards the ball but luckily for it the ball was not moving that fast just stunned it

That is pretty nuts. I've never hit a bird, but have come close to hitting geese on several occasions.

Had a friend do this on a worm burning shot, also on the first hole of the day --took out a bird. We laughed for a long time--but more because he picked it up with his wedge and gave it a proper funeral in the nearest sandtrap. He went into full mortician mode and even took off his hat. :laughing: Not a lot of good golf that day, but it was quite a fun round!

I did it for him and anyone I play with, If you hit a real bird--I am scoring you for birdie!

That's pretty crazy, I've never seen anything like that!

#8 at my home course runs along side of a farm that is home to a couple of peacocks. We always here them making the awful racket they make.
A couple weeks ago a pair of them actually popped out of the tree line and headed along the left rough/tree line. I said "You know someone is gonna get close to a birdie" and of course it was me. I pulled a low left drive that flew about ten feet over their heads as it went by them.

Back