Thinking on transition......

Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
Lets be real... we all crave Distance. Many player will spend hundreds just to get that extra 5 yards!!! But also with the urge for more distance. We dont want to sacrifice accuracy and workability! !

When I started playing in highschool. I had a set of Northwestern Blades. Throughout my 4 years of school I learned these clubs. Distance wasnt an issue and my accuracy was pretty decent... being 15 shooting in the 90's I was proud.

Fast forward practically 15 years....

I am using a set of Old Cobra Baffler blades like this...
5etyqatu.jpg

And honestly I am not playing my best with them. For starters they are short and have already talked with a local shop about getting fitted for them.
Now I am wonder if it is even worth it... cause I am not getting any distance with them And im considering dropping the blades....

Question being. How does one make the transition of going from using Blades to modern cavity backs???

All I ever hit was Blades... but frankly.... I lost my swing and my ability to hit those blades like I used too.

I reckon Im in search of simplicity. ... But being on a very strict budget that restrains me from going fancy....

Kinda scared of change.... Any words of wisdom and direction of pointed fingers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thinking on transition......

There are plenty cavity backs that are aimed at so called better players out there. The clubs I use, AP2's have a nice thin top line, minimum offset and plenty of feel. I've never played blades, but I would imagine they are similar to playing an AP2, you just get a little more forgiveness if you mishit it slightly with the cavity back. Just about every manufacturer does a players cavity, it's just a case of getting out and hitting some. If money is an issue, look at an older model or even second hand.

Try as many as you can. Read some of the reviews and thoughts on the forum. And realize that pretty much every modern cavity back will offer you more forgiveness and as much playability as your current irons.

I mean I guess I stay using blades for nostalgic reasons.... But I just cant get the distance with them anymore.....

Sod nostalgia mate, if help is available in the form of cavity backs, then why not use that help. How many pro's use blades these days? Sure, there's some, but there are plenty taking advantage of cavity backs too.

Yup I know what youre saying.... Im just wondering if its an easy transition going from a blade to a Cavity back...swing wise and such.

Yup I know what youre saying.... Im just wondering if its an easy transition going from a blade to a Cavity back...swing wise and such.

it's the same golf swing, just with better results :)

Im just wondering if its an easy transition going from a blade to a Cavity back...swing wise and such.

Other than you, who still plays with blades? All the thousands of people that made that transition years ago did just fine. Lots of very cheap cavity back sets out there. Look at Knight irons on ebay. My set was less than $200 for the complete set of clubs with bag. I have beat the hell of of the irons and am going with PING this summer once I am back in the states.

I learned to play with blades, and played them for many years. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything with the new irons. I tried to prove to myself once that my old FG-17's were just more accurate than cavity back clubs, pitting my FG PW against my CI-9 gap wedge. Both clubs are the same loft. I hit balls of the same brand, but different colors with each club, white for the blade, and yellow for the CI. I noticed a pattern emerging that I didn't expect. More yellow balks were closer to the hole than white balls. I know it was not a scientific testing, and a small sample, but I was trying to prove that blades were more accurate. The opposite happened, not by a huge amount, but still pretty obvious. I posted about this on here before once, don't remember when. Anyway, give the new clubs a fair try, you might be surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My last three sets of irons.
eqa3ajet.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I miss my TaylorMade blades quite a bit. I love my Apex Pros and wouldn't trade them but I personally love a smaller head and thin sole. The "transition" isn't hard at all. Especially after you put a bad swing on the ball and only lose 5 yards instead of 15.

Appreciate the input fellas!!!!

If you want cheap cavity backs go to Giga golf. You "e-fit" yourself and order the club's, shafts and grips of your choosing.

Will check that out thanks!

Sod nostalgia mate, if help is available in the form of cavity backs, then why not use that help. How many pro's use blades these days? Sure, there's some, but there are plenty taking advantage of cavity backs too.
85% of pro's are playing with blades and probably 95% forged but the real comparison lies within cast vs forged because there happen to be many forged cavity back offerings nowadays.

85% of pro's are playing with blades and probably 95% forged but the real comparison lies within cast vs forged because there happen to be many forged cavity back offerings nowadays.

Care to quote the source for your statistics. I think you're way off on blades in the PGA.

Let's start at the beginning. Your blades are from 1999 if I'm correct. The same year I got my ISI's. :)

In those fifteen years a couple of things have changed. Actually quite a lot, or really so many that we can't really compare clubs anymore. Today you can choose in four different groups of clubs, I'm using Titleist as an example here:

Blades and musclebacks
mb_forged_714.png

Cavity back
cb_714.png

Players Irons
ap2_714.png

Game improvement
ap1_714.png

Most amateurs needn't go to the blades/musclebacks and even the cavitybacks are too much for many. And to be fair: you're looking at getting some help, you've stated your handicap is in the higher regions and you've sort of lost your swing. So you'll probably like all the help you can get right? Well game improvement irons it is then!

What irons to choose now? Well, that's a bit of a thing. It depends on your budget, on what feels best for you (within said budget) and much more. It's time to find a big golfstore and hang out there for an afternoon or two. Get your swingspeed measured, find a matching shaft flex and start hitting just about every brand and iron that fits into your category. My tip would be to stay away from the exotic brands for now, stick to the bigger names. Get used to the thick topline, to the clunkyness of the clubs, but also to the buttery soft feeling on off-centre hits compared to your current irons. After you've found something you like, set it aside in your mind. Come back a week later and try again. From there it's up to you!

Let's start at the beginning. Your blades are from 1999 if I'm correct. The same year I got my ISI's. :)

In those fifteen years a couple of things have changed. Actually quite a lot, or really so many that we can't really compare clubs anymore. Today you can choose in four different groups of clubs, I'm using Titleist as an example here:

Blades and musclebacks
mb_forged_714.png

Cavity back
cb_714.png

Players Irons
ap2_714.png

Game improvement
ap1_714.png

Most amateurs needn't go to the blades/musclebacks and even the cavitybacks are too much for many. And to be fair: you're looking at getting some help, you've stated your handicap is in the higher regions and you've sort of lost your swing. So you'll probably like all the help you can get right? Well game improvement irons it is then!

What irons to choose now? Well, that's a bit of a thing. It depends on your budget, on what feels best for you (within said budget) and much more. It's time to find a big golfstore and hang out there for an afternoon or two. Get your swingspeed measured, find a matching shaft flex and start hitting just about every brand and iron that fits into your category. My tip would be to stay away from the exotic brands for now, stick to the bigger names. Get used to the thick topline, to the clunkyness of the clubs, but also to the buttery soft feeling on off-centre hits compared to your current irons. After you've found something you like, set it aside in your mind. Come back a week later and try again. From there it's up to you!

WoW........ Now thats an explanation I was looking for!!!! Thanks!!!!

Back