Why did you start playing?

About a year and a half ago, my wife and I moved to a house that was right on the golf course. I grew up fishing and still also love to fish. When our second child was born, my ability to just take off and go fishing was greatly reduced. I saw everyone golfing and it looked like fun. Plus, with the course and range being so close to the house it looked like I could go hit a few balls without killing the day. So, when my wife and I joined the club to have access to the pool for the kids, I also got a golf membership and started playing. I have been playing a little bit over a year now and am very addicted to it.

Growing up I always thought golf was boring, especially watching it on tv. A friend of mine played with his dad, and my dad tried to convince me to play, so I gave it a shot. My dad picked up an old used set for me and I think I played a single 9 hole round and shot a 120 or so. It was so frustrating that I gave up and thought I'd never play again.

Last year (15+ years later), I got this feeling that maybe golf would be something I like if I put my mind to it. I also have plenty of friends that golf and the ability for the most part to play when I want. I just made a comment about it to my dad so he picked up another old used set for me to start out with. I've been playing regularly since. I've had 21 lessons in less than a year, purchased a range/development membership at a local club and use it 2+ times a week, and play typically one 18 hole round a week.

Sometime this June or July will mark 1 year of golf for me. I've dropped my handicap to around 23 and believe it will be under 20 before the end of July. I think I'm there now, but haven't played in a few weeks due to a rib/intercostal injury. I plan to play for the rest of my life and expect to be at least a single digit handicap at some point. I don't know if I will ever be scratch or better, but I want to train and play to try and get as close to that as possible over the coming years.

May dad got me my first set when I was 7. I really didn't take a whole lot of interest in the game until I was like 12 or 13. One of my best friends lived across the street from a course and memberships for us was 200 bucks. So we each used to get 1. We'd play 9 in the late morning, go back to his place for lunch, swim, and then go back and play 9 more late afternoon.

my dad and all my friends play golf. growing up i was busy playing football and rugby. i had big dreams in football and was about to turn those dreams into reality....then i tore my acl playing rugby. never had surgery on it and just settled into a 9-5. i crave competition, i was becoming depressed, so one day my dad invited me to play golf. i always thought it was boring and i didnt think i would be interested. but once i swung that club, it was on. i was locked into the most competitive sport i had ever played. i will say when it comes to football/rugby or golf. golf is by far the tougher sport. sometimes i would rather be getting lit up by a 250pound linebacker, then have a down hill 3 foot putt on a slippery green. sometimes i wish i started earlier in life. but then again i might not appreciate the beauty of the sport. golf has done alot for me. more for me, than i could ever do for golf.

It was safer than climbing Everest.

On a serious note, my dad was a pro (played on tour) so golf was part of my childhood. Grew up and put most of my energy into my career, and sort of lost track of golf. I am literally the only one left in my entire family who plays golf, so unless I can pass it on to my kids, a long family tradition is going to disappear. Plus, it is awesome. I should mention that.

Great stories about family and friends

I liked watching it on tv as a kid, then friend asked me to play once about 40 years ago, so I rented clubs.
I fell in love instantly.

Used to travel a lot playing softball but had a minor knee injury. The wife hated me being gone for 2-3 weekends a month and my injury happened around father's day 2 years ago. When I healed she told me to go to good galaxy and pick out my clubs for father's day. Haven't looked back since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My grandfather grew up in Vermont and worked at the Rutland Country Club FOREVER. He was a scratch golfer right up until he died when I was 6. His love for the game was passed to my father and 2 of his 3 brothers. I played baseball, football, and basketball growing up and baseball through college. After graduation though, I went golfing with my dad and one of my uncles and was hooked. Neither of them are very good, but enjoy the heck out of weekend rounds. My other uncle is a single digit handicapper and one of my goals for this summer is to finally beat him. I must be getting close because he keeps ducking me....

I was fostered when I was 11 and my foster dad played golf. He realized I had good hand eye coordination and suggested I try golf. First time I played I was 2 shots better than him after 3 holes. He got angry and we left the course but he decided then and there I would go for lessons etc and the rest is history.

I played with my father and grandfather as a kid, mostly as a way to just hang out with them. I gave up in high school, and aside from a few fun beer fueled outings, didn't really play at all until 2 years ago when my doctor told me no more running or hockey due to yet another knee injury (tore my meniscus, it was the last straw). I dragged my old Dunlop blades out of the garage, along with the metal 6* driver I had, and starting hitting the range. My wife took pity on me and bought me new clubs for Father's Day.

Last year was my first year of "really" playing, and as frustrating as it is, I love being out there both with my friends as well as solo. I like having goals to work/shoot for.

I had a couple of friends who had been playing for a few years that ask me to go with them once when I was 15 years old, I really sucked and shot around 130 for 18 holes, couldn't hit a ball straight for anything. I liked the game but didn't have much money and had many other hobbies, (hunting, fishing, horses, farming, girls, music), so I watched very little golf until my son was 17 and getting ready to go off to Bellarmine University for college. They had a 9 hole course on campus and so his interest sparked mine and the rest followed. I developed a love for the game and a huge respect for those who play well consistently. I find it to be a great stress relief and exercise is very much needed as we grow older.

technically I played in a couple of family scrambles in the 90s when I was a kid using borrowed clubs. Went to the range a few times in 2012 and hacked away. played my first real round of golf with my own clubs August 2013 at the ripe old age of 33. now I have what some would call a golf addiction... there are worse things to be addicted to :)

It was a family sport my mom knew a lot about because her dad played. But truthfully my mom put me in it because she didn't want me in her hair all summer long as a kid. She wanted me outside doing something and what better than golf

Dad took it up when he was older, and introduced me. Now for the first time I can spend some time playing and I like it the best off all sports I've played and coached...

For me when I really started playing more than once a year, it was as an escape from coaching football and the stress it had.

Could have never dreamed it would turn into what it has for me.

Started for me as something for me and my buddies to do outside together and drink a few beers. Was just a casual thing until I joined a golf league. Since then though it's become much more than that to me.

My Dad started playing when I was 13 and the first time I caddied for him, without even swinging a club, I knew this was a game I wanted to play. It's been in my blood ever since.

In 1991, I graduated the police academy and was assigned to the 49 precinct in the Bronx. Great group of guys, we all bonded immediately.

Looking to fill time off-duty (constructively!), although none of us were golfers, we'd all routinely play an Executive course near me in Rockland County.

The company and their antics were always more fun than the game but once the accidentally good shots became less and less of an accident, I was hooked.

Some played throughout the years but only two of us (out of about 12) stuck with it and took up the game semi-seriously. Freddy and I were partners at work for 10 years and in a regular foursome for 20+ and counting.

I was into the more physical sports, football mostly and basketball. But following an achilles rupture in '98 during a flag football game, golf has been my competitive source since.

After moving to Seattle I soon found my favorite watering hole. The regulars and the manager posted their scorecards on the wall. After looking at their scores I said to myself, "I can beat that," so I took a couple lessons. The first time out with the guys I won $20. Been hooked ever since.

I was fostered when I was 11 and my foster dad played golf. He realized I had good hand eye coordination and suggested I try golf. First time I played I was 2 shots better than him after 3 holes. He got angry and we left the course but he decided then and there I would go for lessons etc and the rest is history.

All of the stories have been interesting. This one really cracked me up!!

I saw it on TV and thought it looked like fun.

I got burned out on baseball, so my dad and I took up the game together. I eventually went back to baseball, but I have not left golf since.

Why did you start playing?

My business professor last year said "around 65% of business deals are made on a golf course, wether that's true or not isn't really the point, however if you want a leg up in business learn how to golf because golf is a businessman's game." And I've been hooked since then!

It was a generational sport in my family. My Great Grandfather, Grandfather, and Dad all played. So I grew up around it, and my brother and I started to pick it up and it turned into a passion. Not many can say they played golf with 4 generations playing at the same time, so I'm lucky in that respect. Years later, it's one my fondest memories.

Back