I seriously need to stop ignoring practice on the greens.

Short game practice is my number 1 concern this early in the season, I need to spend an adequate amount of focused time as well.

I spend at least a few minutes each night on my Birdieball putting green working on my stroke. My pace has never been better around the greens and I'm holing a lot more putts now because of it. 3-putts are very rare now.

I'll go out to the range with the intention of working on full swing. But, if I look over at the putting green and no one is on it, or maybe only 1 person, then that is the first place I go. Pure, uninterrupted putting practice, w/o doing the "putting green etiquette dance" with anyone else. I'll stay there for at least 30 minutes, unless a bunch of golfers decide to start putting. After that, I go do full swing.

I am already pondering such an addition, in my basement, this coming fall. Would be nice (and beneficial) to do this more regularly.

The funny part was I never told my wife about it - sort of a birthday present for myself! I planned on being home to give her the news before the delivery/installation but of course they came early and I wasn't home yet when they showed up. She has been putting up with my golf nonsense since high school so she gave me a little bit of a hard time for not telling her, and took our two girls on a Nordstrom shopping day as my penalty. :act-up:

I went with the high quality outdoor putting green carpet from a buddy of mine that owns his own Putting Green company here. It's about $4.50 a square foot but it should last forever as it has a 25 year outdoor warranty. It has a very good roll and I've already noticed an improvement in my putting. l love going down there to watch a little golf with a cold one and hit putts for an hour. My 8 year old is getting to be a very good putter as she like hanging out with me in the man cave!

This is definitely the wrong viewpoint - but the way I have always looked at putting is that it is entirely based on feel. Some days I got it and others I don't. How do you practice feel? I get there are drills to work on, but I just have no patience or interest in doing so.

Any tips to make the practice green more bearable and useful?

The funny part was I never told my wife about it - sort of a birthday present for myself! I planned on being home to give her the news before the delivery/installation but of course they came early and I wasn't home yet when they showed up. She has been putting up with my golf nonsense since high school so she gave me a little bit of a hard time for not telling her, and took our two girls on a Nordstrom shopping day as my penalty. :act-up:

I went with the high quality outdoor putting green carpet from a buddy of mine that owns his own Putting Green company here. It's about $4.50 a square foot but it should last forever as it has a 25 year outdoor warranty. It has a very good roll and I've already noticed an improvement in my putting. l love going down there to watch a little golf with a cold one and hit putts for an hour. My 8 year old is getting to be a very good putter as she like hanging out with me in the man cave!
That is awesome. Unfortunately in my Condo there is no space but it does sound like a good future investment.

This is definitely the wrong viewpoint - but the way I have always looked at putting is that it is entirely based on feel. Some days I got it and others I don't. How do you practice feel? I get there are drills to work on, but I just have no patience or interest in doing so.

Any tips to make the practice green more bearable and useful?

I think that you practice to make that feel appear more consistenly. It takes a lot of focus and that's the hardest thing about practicing on the putting green. So much easier to lose focus there than anywhere else on the range I think. I'm working on setting up a routine that zeroes in on the key components of my best feel so that I have a roadmap back to it. I also must stop tinkering. I've found something that works for me, and I'm going to stick with it come hell or high water.

Back