Wedge grind and bounce for thin tight lies ?

Hotled

Reaction score
Handicap
old age
I love my 54 rtx, but I need a 58 or 60 to compliment it.
The main issue here is we almost always have a thin tight lie or are on hardpan.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what bounce and or grind is best for this?
Feel free to offer manufacturers models as well, but remember I'm a LEFTY.

I tend to like the 1 dot 58* RTX on Texas hard pan. Will likely go 2 dot for MC though.

I play mid bounce on all mine on hard alabama pan

I'd go with a 60/08 for those tight lies on hard ground. Gives you the versatility to get out of various situations from 75 yards and in.

I'm wondering about a grind with some heel relief so I can open her up without increasing the bounce to much.
In a perfect world I would just get another RTX and have it sent off for a custom grind, but that gets pricey.

I have. 60-07 vokey S grind

I think I'm going with a Titleist SM5 60.08 M Grind , I can get one in like new for under 100.00 not sure about the x100 shaft though.

You typically want less bounce for tight lies. I play a 58 degree with 10 degrees of bounce and dont really have a problem even on tight lies. As for opening the face and not having too much bounce, maybe try something like the TM ATV or Nike Toe Sweep. Both of those have some of the heel area ground away so that you can open the face but still not have too much bounce. You could probably do that to a normal wedge and get a similar effect but I dont know how youd go about doing that and I dont want to give you bad advice.

Well I broke all my own rules and ordered a 59* Trusty Rusty. Heck at 49.00 new, I think it will be a good buy and perform well enough.

Wedge grind and bounce for thin tight lies ?

Hopkins channel grind 60. Check out the live testing thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
LH so I only have one choice of finish according to the website.

I have a 62/06 bounce that i use on super tight lies

Just an update.
Got the Trusty Rust in and took it out yesterday.
Unfortunately I didn't like it much at all. It was awesome out of the sand and rough but not so good on the hard pan. It had to be a perfect swing to work, and I'm just not that good. I did like the shaft and grip allot though.
My RTX seemed to have more spin even from sand and was easier to control.
So boxed it up..off it goes.

Back