Anyone ever check out thrift stores?

jere.01

Reaction score
Handicap
mid 20s
I hadn't, but my wife told me that the stores she frequents have a lot of golf clubs. So, I told her I was looking for a 4 wood. That afternoon, she brought in her find. It wasn't a 4 wood, but was instead an Adams Idea 4 hybrid. The kicker was that she only paid $4 for it. The club looks like it is brand new, even the grip is in great shape. So far, I've found that I hit almost as far as my 5 wood, and a lot more consistently. I am going to have to start accompanying her on her thrift store trips. Who knows, maybe I can find a Callaway driver for $5 or less. .

Thrift stores are great I got my first set of clubs from a thrift store. A nice set of Wilson's. You never know what you will find there and you really can't beat thrift store prices.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I picked up a nice Callaway rescue at Dicks pawn shop here in Myrtle Beach for $25. I hit the pawns shops once a week looking for deals

My wife frequents these stores as well. I go along every now and then. Have never found any clubs worth buying but have picked up a few nice golf shirts.

I don't but my wife does. She only goes for baby clothes normally.
They are waaaaaay cheaper and most of them look brand new since babies grow so fast.

When I first started to golf and I had no money I got EVERYTHING at thrift stores. Shoes, clothes, belts, hats, clubs...it's amazing what some people throw away.

I've had some weird putters show up at my local thrift store, but I usually look at them for some items of clothing.

I haven't bought any clubs, but one of the local thrift stores sells bags of pro v's (12-15 balls) for like $5

Goodwill but just to donate clothes and old golf equipment. Just dropped off some mint x20s last week. Also, since I participate with first tee locally I like to chip in and help less fortunate youth.

My wife likes to stop by the Good Will Store that is close to a very well known golf resort. I have never seen a club in the bin that I would use, but the golf shirts and shorts are sometimes brand new looking so I have bought a few of those. My sister was in there with me recently and I pointed out two leather vest to her, being as she rides a motorcycle she purchased one for $3.00 pretty good find IMO.
I'll bet most here figured I might go into thrift stores looking for a bargain. lol

One of my playing partners visits some Goodwill stores near Lake Norman just north of Charlotte, and he has gotten some great deals of new or new looking expensive golf shirts and even shoes.I don't think he has ever paid over $5 for any of them.

never hurts to check--I personally like the overstock last year model type of stores like TJ maxx or Ross--lots of good last year's new stuff for great prices.

It's Salvation Army outlets up here. I'll wander in once or twice a month to check for books, and they'll occasionally have a few clubs. Never found anything less than 15y old, though. And there's a TON of single 5 irons out there from what I can tell.

I went by a Savers back around Halloween to look for some clothing items my daughter wanted for her costume, and swung by the sporting goods section. They had a bunch of older Cobra irons for $2 each. There were a few missing, but the set was in decent shape, for $20 someone could have the majority of their bag taken care of.

I used to hit up thrift stores pretty regularly for clothes. The ones up here just don't seem to get as good of stuff, though so I haven't gone in a while. I do always check the golf stuff when I go, but haven't ever found anything in lefty any times I have gone.

Yes, whenever I'm in a thrift store I check out the golf equipment offerings. I've picked up head covers, putters, woods, etc. Sometimes I'll buy a club just to use the grip or shaft. Since the whole club usually costs only $1, it's a good deal.

I've found some pretty decent clubs at thrift stores. I used to leave the $1.99 sticker on the drivers because I thought it was funny for some reason.

I am still kicking myself for not making a better effort to get back to the Play it Again Sports in Washington that had a Nike Machspeed Black with a genuine AD-DI 6S for 40.00.

Got a couple of mizuno wedges, an original adams tight lies 5 wood, and 2 nike cpr hybrids at a good will for $1.99 each. Lots of polos and bags of balls. Have found anything lately but I still look.

Last edited:
It might sound odd, but my current putter was acquired from a pawn shop. It was in MINT condition too other than the grip. Pairing the condition with the difficulty of finding this particular model meant that I got a heck of a deal. I suspect this shop does not deal much with golf equipment.

The same would seemingly apply at a thrift store. I'm sure you can come across some gold mine type finds.

I always look but so far I haven't seen much in the way of golf clubs. If there are any, they tend to be a few generations old or the Walmart special. My dad finds a ton in Florida.

Back