How to best utilize my new, giant backyard?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
So this March I moved to a more rural area near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The wife likes the "country" so here I am. (Broadlands Golf Club is practically in my backyard, for anyone who's familiar with it - it's the driving range I use!) I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of my yard, though I'm pretty sure I'm over an acre overall. This includes a very big backyard with a good deal of length. I tested it out just now with a couple clubs just to see what happened. I was able to hit basically a full pitching wedge with plenty of room, but the 6 Iron I tried flew into the neighbor's yard. (My 6 iron is only about 150 or so, keep that in mind, and the grass needs mowing so it wasn't a pure shot.)

So what would you do if you had a large backyard you could use for home practice? Those of you that have a large backyard, what do you do? Should I get some kind of mat to put out there to hit off of?

Here's a pic. My yard extends all the way to those trees in the far back.

IMG_20140521_103008.jpg

Upkeep would be crazy expensive but I've always wanted a practice green in my back yard to practice short game. Won't ever happen but a guy can dream!

If you have free range on what to do with your back yard, I'd set up a green on the far end near the trees, and then have a couple different areas that you can use to chip from and work on your 120 yards and in shots. I personally would just use movable mats for the full/half swing shots so you aren't tearing up the yard.

Probably cost a lot to get the green all set up, but man that'd be an awesome place to practice the short game.

I think a short game area will be sweet maybe a bunker

I think you should model it after Dave Pelz's yard

dave-pelz-aerial-backyard.jpg

A synthetic putting green would be great. They cost a few thousand installed but you may be able to do somer or all of the work yourself and do it for less. I putt a putting green in my man cave a couple months ago and my putting is certainly better with all the practice I'm getting in.

Short mow an spot and stick a flag in the grass. Get really good with your wedges.

Short mow an spot and stick a flag in the grass. Get really good with your wedges.

I was thinking something a little more along these lines than a full blown installation. :) Maybe adding a green could be a "future state" I could aspire to. I thought maybe I could also plant a "golf" type grass seed out there by the trees.

You might consider buying a mat to protect your grass. You'll tear it up hitting off it.

That is a definite. I tore it up a bit on the 3 shots I hit today.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You might consider buying a mat to protect your grass. You'll tear it up hitting off it.

This guy has fantastic ideas!

Having a synthetic green in the back yard is a dream I have but not one that is likely to happen anytime soon.

Check out birdie balls, they have strike mats and chipping/pitching targets for a decent price. Also you could get a few birdie balls and try them out, farthest I've hit one pure is near 60 yards.

I'd have a green and bunker from the 'Tour Green' company that has a shop right here. My 140 yards and in game would be amaaaazing!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I would plant either rye grass or what ever grows well in your area right up to the tree line and keep it mowed tight like a fairway. Put a flag or two in the middle of it and hone your wedge game.

Monster turf mat plus birdie balls for long irons plus gamers for wedges equals awesome time

Tappin it up

I live in FL. I hit balls everyday and can take monster divots, but it don't matter cause Bahaiah grows like crazy. Plus it's my yard. I also live in the woods.

I know how my wife would use it if I decided to make a golf course out of it.
I would be looking up at it instead of down :(

^^^^this^^^^

Easiest way of doing it. Also short mow hitting areas and rotate them around your yard to let the divots heal. Bucket of sand with seed mixed in to fill in the divots. I did this on a much smaller scale when I owned my home with a much smaller yard.

Your wedge game will become spot on in no time. I wish I had your yard now that I have a son old enough to mow it!

Enjoy!!

They make artificial turf greens that will hold full wedge shots. If it were me, that's what I would do. Then I could practice my game from 90 yards and in, and have a practice green.

~Rock

I have room for a full sand wedge across the back. I became a master with that one club. Quarter swings, half swings, and full swings. When every other part of my golf game was a mess I knew I could always stick it close when inside 70 yards.

This is what I did with mine.... not near as much room as you have.
The chipping mat...a Monster Mat, sets 40-45 feet from the green, so I hit over the sand trap. I can also practice hitting out of the sand and 10 foot putts with various breaks and two levels. Since a 8 square foot section of sod is only $3.25, I will sometime hit directly from the mowed grass and replace the section when it gets too many divots.

10380657_10152215794458401_5289498131230097112_o.jpg

Back