I am just about done setting up my bag and understand gaps will really dictate this. Having said that maybe you guys see some options I am missing. Here is how it looks now (need to update sig):

Driver
3w (haven't purchased yet)
3i (for low shots)
3h
4h
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
W
SW
Putter

So that's 13. I figure the 3w will be for narrow tee shots and par 5's. The 3i is for teeing off in wind situations, and the occasional punch shot. The 3h replaces the 5w. Everything else i hit pretty consistently, with good gaps. Only question mark is the hybrids, since I have not had a chance to hit them yet. So I am a bit stumped on club #14. I guess I don't need it, but maybe I am missing a specialty club?

Any suggestions?

Loft data...

3h - 19
3i - 21.5
4h - 22
4i - 25
5i - 28.5
6i - 32
7i - 36
8i - 40
9i - 45
P - 50.5
S - 57.5

There's a lot of personal preference going on with club selection, but before you lay out the money for a 3w I'd suggest giving a 4w a test on a launch monitor as well. 3's are good off the tee, and you'd lose a bit of distance with the 4 there, but a number of people find a 4 much easier to hit off the fairway and because of this they don't lose much yardage at all in the aggregate. Then I'd drop the 3i which is a pretty darn situational club from what you're saying. Move the ball back a bit in your stance and other clubs will do the job you're thinking about.

On the lower end of the bag, assuming the PW is part of your set, I'd keep it (might consider getting it bent to an even 50*) then get a 54* and a 58* OR a 55* and 60* to fill in the wedges. Assuming your profile is up to date and you're a 36 handicapper, or thereabouts, you probably don't hit that many greens in regulation. Having more granularity in your bag on the low end will let you take more full swing shots into greens and reduce the need to hit finesse shots until you are closer to the green. That should result in shorter putts and lower scores.

There's a lot of personal preference going on with club selection, but before you lay out the money for a 3w I'd suggest giving a 4w a test on a launch monitor as well. 3's are good off the tee, and you'd lose a bit of distance with the 4 there, but a number of people find a 4 much easier to hit off the fairway and because of this they don't lose much yardage at all in the aggregate. Then I'd drop the 3i which is a pretty darn situational club from what you're saying. Move the ball back a bit in your stance and other clubs will do the job you're thinking about.

On the lower end of the bag, assuming the PW is part of your set, I'd keep it (might consider getting it bent to an even 50*) then get a 54* and a 58* OR a 55* and 60* to fill in the wedges. Assuming your profile is up to date and you're a 36 handicapper, or thereabouts, you probably don't hit that many greens in regulation. Having more granularity in your bag on the low end will let you take more full swing shots into greens and reduce the need to hit finesse shots until you are closer to the green. That should result in shorter putts and lower scores.

Thanks Jim. I have read a few posts here talking about using a 4w instead of a 3w. I like that idea a lot. I might consider dropping the 3i once I have some time with my hybrids, but I like hitting that Titleist AP2 off the tee. Almost every time I play wind is a considerable factor. So looking at the new setup...

Driver
4w
3h
4h
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
P (50.5*)
G (54*)
S (57.5*)
L (61*)
Putter

How does something like this look? The only decision seems to be 3i vs L (61*) wedge.

Another vote for a gap wedge. From a high handicapper's perspective, the gap wedge in my bag has served me way better than the lob wedge I had in there at one time. Easier to hit and made things much more manageable around the 100-110yd range.

Might not hurt to consider a 4 wood instead of a 3 wood too. Just made the switch a couple weeks ago. The higher loft has helped with confidence off the deck for me. My best shots with the 4W are just as good if not better than the 3W, but more importantly, as a high handicapper - my bad shots with the 4W have been much better than the bad with my 3W.

Thanks for the help. I like the 4w idea. Going that direction for sure.

Absolutely a gap wedge. The more higher lofter wedges you have, the better your chances off scoring low. Is a 3 iron necessary? How many times would you use it in a round? I use my 4 iron maybe once a month but use all of my wedges constantly.

Absolutely a gap wedge. The more higher lofter wedges you have, the better your chances off scoring low. Is a 3 iron necessary? How many times would you use it in a round? I use my 4 iron maybe once a month but use all of my wedges constantly.

I don't swear by this logic. By for Rob, it would be useful.

Driver, 3W, 3&4 Hybrids, 5-PW, Gap (~50)/Sand(~55)/Lob (~60) wedges, Putter.

Maybe go with set wedges versus blade, and a SeeMore putter.

I think that 3i, 4i should require a certificate of capability to be able to carry either one. Hybrids are so easy to hit, and hit well.

Wedges, on the other hand, don't even require a learner's permit. Load your bag with loft!

I am just about done setting up my bag and understand gaps will really dictate this. Having said that maybe you guys see some options I am missing. Here is how it looks now (need to update sig):

Driver
3w (haven't purchased yet)
3i (for low shots)
3h
4h
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
W
SW
Putter

So that's 13. I figure the 3w will be for narrow tee shots and par 5's. The 3i is for teeing off in wind situations, and the occasional punch shot. The 3h replaces the 5w. Everything else i hit pretty consistently, with good gaps. Only question mark is the hybrids, since I have not had a chance to hit them yet. So I am a bit stumped on club #14. I guess I don't need it, but maybe I am missing a specialty club?

Any suggestions?

For me, use the hybrids or 3w for punch shots. Just choke down and put the ball to the back of your stance.
- Lose the 3 iron
+ add a gap wedge and lob wedge

(that's what I have chosen to do anyhow)

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. I have read a few posts here talking about using a 4w instead of a 3w. I like that idea a lot. I might consider dropping the 3i once I have some time with my hybrids, but I like hitting that Titleist AP2 off the tee. Almost every time I play wind is a considerable factor. So looking at the new setup...

Driver
4w
3h
4h
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
P (50.5*)
G (54*)
S (57.5*)
L (61*)
Putter

How does something like this look? The only decision seems to be 3i vs L (61*) wedge.

I might be the lone dissenter, but... I would suggest you try and spend some time with a true higher loft LW before taking that leap. For some folks, they work very well. For others, not so much. If you are very confident in the 3i, and get good results with it, why take it out of the bag? Being confident on the tee is a wonderful thing, assuming you make somewhat frequent use of the 3i.

Definitely a gap / attack wedge. If you are comfortable with a lob wedge, you can add that. I like a low bounce 60-degree wedge for chipping / pitching over bunkers. If I use any more bounce, I blade it on anything resembling a tight lie. Of course, it depends on your distances. You may need more help closing the gaps at the wood / hybrid end. Demo the hybrids before you decide. I personally prefer hitting an iron or fairway wood. I just do not get the solid shots from the hybrids that many others rave about.

Drop the 3 iron. Get a Lob Wedge and Gap Wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loft data...

3h - 19
3i - 21.5
4h - 22
4i - 25
5i - 28.5
6i - 32
7i - 36
8i - 40
9i - 45
P - 50.5
S - 57.5

Given the pretty tight lofts with 3h, 3i and 4h, I would choose one of those clubs and get rid of the other two.
Then, given your lofts of the P and S, I would take those clubs to a club fitter, have them bend the P to 50, S to 58. Pick up a gap wedge, 54 degrees, and then see if you can hit a 60/61/62 degree lob wedge. You could still then grab another club depending on the weather and course, like your 3i or 3h or 3w, if you have them. If not, no biggie, you have plenty of club to get off the tee, the 3 iron may go 10 yards further than the 4 iron.

My 2 cents.

Back