Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

I'm headed camping this weekend so no golf for me. Glad you've dropped your protest ...although you may have to meet us northern folks in Elgin like last time :) we'll take it from there!

Anyone want to play this weekend? I'm probably playing the highlands with Lance (on Saturday?) and it's a bye week for softball so sunday is open too. I really need to get some rounds in.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Another question: Roughly what time (Western suburbs) of evening / night right now is it getting too dark to see where your ball goes?

Anyone for a round Sunday?

I'm headed camping this weekend so no golf for me. Glad you've dropped your protest ...although you may have to meet us northern folks in Elgin like last time :) we'll take it from there!

Yea just like last time would work fine for me. Have you gotten a pass yet?

Yea just like last time would work fine for me. Have you gotten a pass yet?

A pass?

Another question: Roughly what time (Western suburbs) of evening / night right now is it getting too dark to see where your ball goes?

Sun's setting around 810 right now, but you can probably get at least another 20-30 minutes of twilight. Depending on which way your holes run, it might be easier to see after the sun goes down. Yesterday the last few holes we were hitting right into the setting sun.

the passes that rock was talking about. punch cards or discount cards or whatever.

Oh no. Not yet. We're gonna wait until next week when we have a better look of who's coming.

Sun's setting around 810 right now, but you can probably get at least another 20-30 minutes of twilight. Depending on which way your holes run, it might be easier to see after the sun goes down. Yesterday the last few holes we were hitting right into the setting sun.

Thanks! I learned the hard way once that it can be incredibly difficult to find your ball in twilight. Once I start learning some courses around here and the pace of play, I will have a better feel.

Anybody play Bridges of Poplar Creek? Is it worth a 45 minute or so drive?

Thanks! I learned the hard way once that it can be incredibly difficult to find your ball in twilight. Once I start learning some courses around here and the pace of play, I will have a better feel.

One of the thp dans on here works there (dleavitt). It's a solid course - narrowish fairways, lot of hazards but not that long. We played it with a big group as a pre thp event round and it was in pretty good shape. It's a good enough course where I don't think you'll be regretting the drive to get there but it isn't going to change your life or anything :p The grass practice tees are terrible though - really sandy.

Agree with the above... If you are going to drive that far play, highlands of Elgin, Bowes creek or Blackstone in Marengo. Good last minute deals on golf now. Blackstone would be a hike for you. I would be surprised if you regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is near the Bartlett area, bartlett hills is in tremendous shape. The greens are as good as they have been in the seven years I have been playing it. Fairways are firm, rough is lush! Old school routing, fun course.

I might head out that way in Monday

Yeah. It's just up the road. I'm in Aurora

Yeah. It's just up the road. I'm in Aurora

Bartlett Hills is fun, especially after you have played it a few times. Certain fairways play much better from one side or the other due to trees. I'm already committed for mon, but let me know if you are in the area. Have fun if you play! Hedge right off the tee if you have the length to go for the par 5's in 2.

One of the thp dans on here works there (dleavitt). It's a solid course - narrowish fairways, lot of hazards but not that long. We played it with a big group as a pre thp event round and it was in pretty good shape. It's a good enough course where I don't think you'll be regretting the drive to get there but it isn't going to change your life or anything :p The grass practice tees are terrible though - really sandy.

Thanks! They have $25 with cart fees after 3pm which is why I was considering and someone I work with lives in Libertyville so I thought it was a decent halfway. I always weigh the green fees + fuel cost + time commitment to keep the wife happy.

Agree with the above... If you are going to drive that far play, highlands of Elgin, Bowes creek or Blackstone in Marengo. Good last minute deals on golf now. Blackstone would be a hike for you. I would be surprised if you regretted it.

Thanks! All three of those show an hour to an hour fifteen on google maps so those are ones I will give a try on occasions but probably not often.

Bartlett Hills is fun, especially after you have played it a few times. Certain fairways play much better from one side or the other due to trees. I'm already committed for mon, but let me know if you are in the area. Have fun if you play! Hedge right off the tee if you have the length to go for the par 5's in 2.

I'll have to check out Bartlett too if fun and I see it has some special rates. I love to play on decent to better courses for a great rate.

I highly appreciate all the feedback on courses! I look forward to playing a round or more with some of you!:golf:

Last edited:
Thanks! They have $25 with cart fees after 3pm which is why I was considering and someone I work with lives in Libertyville so I thought it was a decent halfway. I always weigh the green fees + fuel cost + time commitment to keep the wife happy.

I would suggest not playing it for a while. I usually play it 10 times a year and last week was the worst condition I have seen it in. Pace of play can be brutal at times too. Wait a couple weeks until it recovers from the winter

I would suggest not playing it for a while. I usually play it 10 times a year and last week was the worst condition I have seen it in. Pace of play can be brutal at times too. Wait a couple weeks until it recovers from the winter

I appreciate it! Pace of play is a big factor for me. I don't want my entire day be gone for one round.

I appreciate it! Pace of play is a big factor for me. I don't want my entire day be gone for one round.

I had 9am to 3pm off on Tuesday. Me and a buddy teed off at 10 am and had to leave at 2:45 and we were only on hole 15... it was so brutal

I hate to beat a dead horse but I am curious about the issues with Springbrook and Naperbrook since no one commented on them. Is it pace of play, the clientele, conditions, price?

Basically the only way to beat the pace of play problem in our area, is to play very early 5:30am - 7:30am on the weekends. This has worked well for me. If you like to tee off mid morning...pack a lunch and probably dinner. My group tries to get the first tee time somewhere every weekend. We usually finish at or under 4hrs depending on the course. I try to make it a 5 hour commitment but if I am leaving the house before anyone is up, I can stretch it a little and my wife doesn't mind. This gets me home in time to make lunch, and take part in whatever she has planned for the kids.

Basically the only way to beat the pace of play problem in our area, is to play very early 5:30am - 7:30am on the weekends. This has worked well for me. If you like to tee off mid morning...pack a lunch and probably dinner. My group tries to get the first tee time somewhere every weekend. We usually finish at or under 4hrs depending on the course. I try to make it a 5 hour commitment but if I am leaving the house before anyone is up, I can stretch it a little and my wife doesn't mind. This gets me home in time to make lunch, and take part in whatever she has planned for the kids.

QFT. Weekends are brutal anywhere you go.

Thanks! I have always played the very early or later afternoon. Early morning to have much of the day left and later afternoon to take advantage of lower rates. Which is best in this area is what I am trying to learn and why I have been asking so many questions. I appreciate everyone's help.

I have been trying to figure out a Saturday round. Do I go very early or try for late afternoon when my wife is working. Do I just go play alone or should I try to find partner(s) from THP?

Thanks! I have always played the very early or later afternoon. Early morning to have much of the day left and later afternoon to take advantage of lower rates. Which is best in this area is what I am trying to learn and why I have been asking so many questions. I appreciate everyone's help.

I have been trying to figure out a Saturday round. Do I go very early or try for late afternoon when my wife is working. Do I just go play alone or should I try to find partner(s) from THP?

This weekend?

I'm partial to the super early rounds, but I find that rounds later in the afternoon aren't so bad. Twilight rates get everyone moving a little quicker, and then you're already past the late morning logjam.

I'm out of town this weekend, but I'm always looking for more folks to play with.

Back