Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

So I got my hands on a classic custom in 10.5 with kusala white 61x!
Played it for the first time today and I couldn't be more impressed!!
So forgiving I even tried to hit heel and toe shots but the thing just launched high and went straight!
Much more forgiving than my (now old) gamer RBz with fubuki tour!
I can't wait to get on flightscope and see the numbers!!

Funny how few Cleveland drivers I actually see in peoples bags. I love the look, feel, sound and performance of my Cleveland Custom XL better than everything I've hit or owned with the possible exception being the Big Bertha Alpha.

Iv hit the alpha and I just didn't get on with it! To be honest after my friend a staffer for cleveland have me a classic 3wood with kussla blue I had to get him to get me a driver!
The sound is perfect!
The deep face really appeals to me!

I think it all comes down to advertising and marketing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got my hands on a classic custom in 10.5 with kusala white 61x!
Played it for the first time today and I couldn't be more impressed!!
So forgiving I even tried to hit heel and toe shots but the thing just launched high and went straight!
Much more forgiving than my (now old) gamer RBz with fubuki tour!
I can't wait to get on flightscope and see the numbers!!

Funny how few Cleveland drivers I actually see in peoples bags. I love the look, feel, sound and performance of my Cleveland Custom XL better than everything I've hit or owned with the possible exception being the Big Bertha Alpha.

I tried the BBA, SLDR, Bio cell+, really liked all three of them, but when I put them up against my Classic XL there just wasn't much difference. As a matter of fact I hit the XL a little longer on average, familiarity maybe, but I couldn't see a reason to switch. I wonder if the CXL custom head is the same as the Regular CXL, because I'm think of getting a custom with something like a red tie or OD6 in it.

I'm not sure if the heads see the same! But I like the custom due to the fact you can tinker a little! Shafts lofts swing weights etc!! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a kusala blue to plug in and play with!!

Been one in my bag (along with Cleveland fairway metals) for at least the past 10 years. Definitely a Cleveland homer here!

I'm not sure if the heads see the same! But I like the custom due to the fact you can tinker a little! Shafts lofts swing weights etc!! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a kusala blue to plug in and play with!!

That's what has me thinking about it.

Been one in my bag (along with Cleveland fairway metals) for at least the past 10 years. Definitely a Cleveland homer here!

I'm only on my 4th set of irons since 1980 but buy 3-5 drivers every year hoping to find the holy grail. Last year I bought a Callaway Xhot Pro, Razr Fit Xtreme, TM R11 and none lasted more than a couple rounds in my bag.

Played mostly with a Cleveland Classic 290 with a Kusala Black shaft the last couple of years but my new Classic XL Custom is amazing after the first few rounds.. The JDL shaft is very long while still holding up well on hard swings - love it!

I'm only on my 4th set of irons since 1980 but buy 3-5 drivers every year hoping to find the holy grail. Last year I bought a Callaway Xhot Pro, Razr Fit Xtreme, TM R11 and none lasted more than a couple rounds in my bag.

Played mostly with a Cleveland Classic 290 with a Kusala Black shaft the last couple of years but my new Classic XL Custom is amazing after the first few rounds.. The JDL shaft is very long while still holding up well on hard swings - love it!

I have both the Fubuki and JDL6 for mine. Due to injury to left arm, have not really been able to put a full swing on the club since getting the JDL. I hit it's predecessor, the Dromos, very well so I am anticipating much of the same with the JDL. I also have a Classic 290 with a Kusala White which I like very much also.

Love my XL Custom more every time I go out. When I hit it good, I get the results I want. When I hit it bad, it is definitely operator error. Can't ask for any more than that.

I picked up the standard Classic XL the other day and got a round in with it. All I can say is wow. It's the 9 degree with the 4S and I am blown away. Brand new just north of $100 and I think it's one of my favorite purchases to date. On the range it was launching so high and I was a little concerned, but the shaft felt so good and the ball flight wasn't ballooning, just high. When I got out to my home course I was outdriving my usual landing spots with my X2 Hot. Might be the shaft, or my swing, but I think this driver just fits me better. Time will tell. As of right now though, Cleveland has my attention.

Finally back to the Holy Grail. Sold it and bought it back.

Classic XL Custom with Black Tie. Doesnt get any better!!!!!

sorry for stirring up an ancient thread but does anyone have an 11g weight that they would be willing to sell? bought a brand new 9* w/ black tie and would like to play with a heavier weight in the back. Cleveland was no help and I can't locate any on the bay.

Thanks!!

Anyone still game this? Academy has them for dirt cheap and debating whether this would outperform my 910D2, Jetspeed and K15.

Anyone still game this? Academy has them for dirt cheap and debating whether this would outperform my 910D2, Jetspeed and K15.

It will be more forgiving than the 1st two. And less spinny than the 3rd.

So had my first round with this driver in the bag. Played the front 9 holes at Lonnie Poole with the K15, and the back nine with the Cleveland Classic XL Custom. My yardages are weak, as is my ability to get off the tee ... and I am really scuffling right now. I'm hoping my lessons can get this sorted out for me as it's a good portion swing issues but a good portion mental at this point. I thought the Game Golf side by side comparisons were good though. I had one drive that was longer with the K15 (plus 2015 e6) but didn't have as severe a case of the rights with the Cleveland XL Classic (and 2013 e5). The longer average with the Cleveland is a bit of a misnomer as the K15 average has to deal with a 46 yard stinker off of one of the tee's.

Ping K15
816104fe23f930b8f7ea3b0c6c248679.jpg

Cleveland Classic XL Custom
f3d64714d1f6e7f71558d4252e84ab58.jpg

Last edited:

Yes! I gamed it last year with great (for me) results, until I accidentally broke it. Bought a 2012 Nike VRS to fill the gap and it was in the running for the most accurate driver I have ever used, but it just didn't have the pop of the CXL. I tried all the newest drivers this year, but none seemed to surpass the CXL for me by any appreciable amount, so I bought another one. It has the same specs (10.5* B,.asha stiff), and I am enjoying it immensely. I hit it better than the 910d2 and the jetspeed. About the K15: my most common miss is a straight right push, sometimes way right. If that was my usual shot the K15 would be a godsend (since it is draw biased), but unfortunately I hook it like crazy most of the time.

I wanted to pop in here and give a few thoughts. My current gamer is broken, and my Bio Cell is loaned out, so I worked a trade out with a friend for his Cleveland Classic XL with the B. Asha shaft.

I think the first thing I want to say is that after 2 rounds with it, I have yet to hit a shot that didn't feel amazing. Some of them missed the mark (usually a high block slice) but everything feels SO solid with this driver. I am extremely impressed. Secondly, it's extremely forgiving. It's a true fairway finder. I don't think it's as long as my D200, but it's long enough. For a driver that can be had for like $80, I think it's tough to beat this one.

I wanted to pop in here and give a few thoughts. My current gamer is broken, and my Bio Cell is loaned out, so I worked a trade out with a friend for his Cleveland Classic XL with the B. Asha shaft.

I think the first thing I want to say is that after 2 rounds with it, I have yet to hit a shot that didn't feel amazing. Some of them missed the mark (usually a high block slice) but everything feels SO solid with this driver. I am extremely impressed. Secondly, it's extremely forgiving. It's a true fairway finder. I don't think it's as long as my D200, but it's long enough. For a driver that can be had for like $80, I think it's tough to beat this one.

Agree with everything. I think the ACP and the CCXLC are two of the best feeling drivers I have ever hit. I put a 7Z08 in the CCXLC, and it still needs a showdown with the BC+ for the long run in the bag...

It is a great driver. It feels/sounds like I'm crushing it, even when I'm clearly not.

i recently got a Cleveland Classic XL Custom 10.5 with a miyazaki JDL6s(5543) having played the XL270 with stock C kua 39 stiff(6424)for 4 years which i like except for the closed face. So i got the CCCXL, early days but mixed results thus far but it feels like a heavy iron bar as im so used to the Ultralite! plus im a lightweight too! SS 90mph, i tried taking the 7g weight out of head but ball just ballooned, albeit i did close face that day so +1 loft. The first day i got i open face so -1 loft, weight in and was losing it right a bit
Has anyone experimented with putting the Ultralite series shaft into the Classic XL custom, i have the .350 adaptor so thats not an issue, just dont want to do if others have had bad experience. My motives are a lighter shaft (45 versus 61) because i think its best to leave the weight in the head(surely its there for a reason?!) i tried to get a b asha 3 but failed. ps before anyone says i should get an SL290, i know!! i tried the Stiff last year, didnt like , too stiff, but am thinking of going Reg if this plan doesnt work but that said that looks very tip soft (7511).....thoughts anyone?

I did it. I actually ended up using a different shaft than both of them in the Kusala Blue, but go with what feels the best to you.

thanks, according to the Cleveland Catalog that Kusala Blue is very similar to the JDL6(s) that i currently have in there both in weight(same 61g)and flight. So whilst it probably wont suit me it begs the question what shaft did you have in there originally and why did you want to swap it... weight, flex, flight, launch? thanks

Oh how I miss this driver,I murdered this thing. Too bad mine had defects but I may look online to find another to bag soon

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Oh how I miss this driver,I murdered this thing. Too bad mine had defects but I may look online to find another to bag soon

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I missed this thing, too! I missed it so much that I bought a new one! I played a 10.5* in 2013 and hit tons of fairways. I sold it to a friend so that I could try and get a few extra yards out of some other hot drivers at the time (SLDR being one of them). I'm now back in business with this thing, now at 9*, and ready to see lower scores again.

I may potentially cut it down to 44", does anyone know if Cleveland still has the weight kit for this head?

Back