Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

This weekend?

I'm partial to the super early rounds, but I find that rounds later in the afternoon aren't so bad. Twilight rates get everyone moving a little quicker, and then you're already past the late morning logjam.

I'm out of town this weekend, but I'm always looking for more folks to play with.

Well I am always looking to play more often and cheaper rates make it easier. I'd rather play two rounds for <$60 total in the afternoon heat rather than one round over $40 any other time. I need the practice. And the stress relief of being out in nature.

So any one up for tomorrow for a later afternoon tee time? (or a very early morning at a great rate)

Anyone interested in an early morning or late afternoon round tomorrow please PM me.

Prefer to stay under $35 for the round but am flexible into the low $40's.

edit: I picked up a deal for tomorrow on GolfNow. I am open for next Friday afternoon or weekend.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in an early morning or late afternoon round tomorrow please PM me.

Prefer to stay under $35 for the round but am flexible into the low $40's.

edit: I picked up a deal for tomorrow on GolfNow. I am open for next Friday afternoon or weekend.

Let us know where you ended up today and how you liked it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: I am relatively new to the Chicago area and am hoping I can get some feedback of potential courses. I prefer playing more often on average to good courses with good deals rather than any course at higher rates. I have only played Village Links of Glen Ellyn in this area (a company outing) and found that course acceptable and they show an after 3:30 pm rate of $25 which I assume is walking. I noticed some others such as Carriage Greens, Fox Valley and Phillips Park had some version of after 2 or 3pm twilight specials.

With that long winded intro, I am asking for help to find the best 2 to 5 courses within approximately 25-30 miles of 60565 that meet the following conditions:

* Well kept greens.
* Decently kept fairways.
* Less than 5 hour round on a weekend (preferably less than 4 1/2 hours)
* There is some time available I can play 18 for less than $30 on a weekend (maybe $35). It doesn't matter if walk or ride or the start time as long as I can complete 18 before dark.

Any help is appreciated!

Previous suggestions are all great courses. I also like Bliss Creek in Sugar Grove, Blackberry Okays in Bristol (a bit more expensive but has deals on Golf Now), and Whitetail Ridge in Yorkville.

Previous suggestions are all great courses. I also like Bliss Creek in Sugar Grove, Blackberry Okays in Bristol (a bit more expensive but has deals on Golf Now), and Whitetail Ridge in Yorkville.

Thanks!

Let us know where you ended up today and how you liked it!

I got a $24 GolfNow rate with cart at Naperbrook for last Saturday. Course wasn't too bad, decent shape, pace was good. Mostly enjoyable despite my search for my swing. The rough earned is name, however. It was thick. I struggled to get my rhythm, took a 52 on the front with only 17 putts. However, I birdied the 13th (#4 hole) and parred 3 others on the back to keep me a few shots below 100. Again with 17 putts. What struck me was how friendly the staff was there. Plus they put up with my flirting and even encouraged it. :bananadance: I am thinking I will hit some twilights there and keep looking for deals on GolfNow and such.

I started out at Village Greens of Woodridge with a similar rate from TeeOff.com on Monday. The course was hurting in a lot of places and wasn't nearly in as good of shape. The greens were much faster. Hard for me to judge the course itself because I played as bad or worse as when I first started. I couldn't do anything right. Part of that was the hurry up and wait. It was horrible. I couldn't get into a rhythm. After a little over 2 and a half hours, I was only starting the 7th hole. :banghead::at-wits-end: The golf gods had seen enough by the time I reached the 8th and provided a mercy killing of my round in the form of thunderstorms. I can see this being a decent course to play with a cheaper rate but not if the flow is always so slow. I don't mind waiting for the group ahead to clear but I shouldn't be waiting for them to tee off while they wait on the group ahead of them to clear. More than one group should never be at the same tee box after #1.

I guess people were all out of town for the weekend, because my weekend rounds were both around 4 hours with hardly a group to be seen (1 pm and 10:30 am tee times at that).

I guess people were all out of town for the weekend, because my weekend rounds were both around 4 hours with hardly a group to be seen (1 pm and 10:30 am tee times at that).

Saturday was like that for me. Monday was not. Where did you play?

Nice! I played in 3:20 Sun (timber creek, Dixon) and just under 4hrs Mon (Highlands, Elgin)

We were the first group off both days :)

Playing hilldale tomorrow morning. Hope it's in good shape!

Playing hilldale tomorrow morning. Hope it's in good shape!

I played there a couple of weeks ago and the greens were pretty good. Some bad areas in the fairways but over all pretty good. I don't remember any glaring issues.

I have only played there twice but had fun both times...

I played there a couple of weeks ago and the greens were pretty good. Some bad areas in the fairways but over all pretty good. I don't remember any glaring issues.

I have only played there twice but had fun both times...

I've played it a handful of times. Pretty tight off the tee. In the summer the greens are super quick as well. Not the longest course but always a good time

Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

Looking for a round in the western suburbs tomorrow. Anyone?

Update: Played Orchard Valley all alone on the course, beautiful morning.

Last edited:

Jealous. Would loved to have gone but work calls.

Dr,
Is OV doing better? Heard it was in pretty bad shape...

It's getting there, they're re-sodding some stuff today. The back 9 is in pretty good shape, temporary greens on 2 holes on the front. The front is still closed weekdays, not sure when it'll open up again.

Hey for everyone in the area, there's a HUGE demo day being held June 7th at Pro Circle Golf in Spring Grove. All the manufacturers are there and you can test pretty much everything on grass. There's usually giveaways and stuff as well from the companies that are there. Wilson usually has their fitting truck on site. Thought everyone may want to check it out if they're free.

http://www.procirclegolf.com/demo_days.htm

Hey for everyone in the area, there's a HUGE demo day being held June 7th at Pro Circle Golf in Spring Grove. All the manufacturers are there and you can test pretty much everything on grass. There's usually giveaways and stuff as well from the companies that are there. Wilson usually has their fitting truck on site. Thought everyone may want to check it out if they're free.

Figures it would be when I can't participate. Oh, well. Go hit some drivers, eh.

I will....and the Apex :)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Terrific! Thanks! I may take my son. Three hours round trip in the car may be a deterrent though.

I noticed a lot of single manufacturer demo days in the area coming up but that seems to be the only non-private multi-manufacturer demo day.

Yeah they do good business up at Pro Circle. Been there for a looooooong time. You can even test and order Scor wedges there.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Walked 9 at Phillips park yesterday afternoon. I have to say that this is the best I've seen that course look....ever. I've been playing there for 13 years now an it's never been this green. The greens are extremely firm and the rough is deep. But it sounds like it's deep everywhere right now. Playing in a tourney there on Sunday. The flight I'm in plays from the whites (thank God for that early season 16.4 handicap) so in theory I should be able to play most par 4's 4iron wedge and par 5s driver 5-7i. There's at least 5 holes where I could take a run at te green from the tee.

I have a half day next Friday if anyone is looking to play

Terrific! Thanks! I may take my son. Three hours round trip in the car may be a deterrent though.

Swing on up! Derek will be there and I should be able to squeeze an hour or two and head up there as well.

Back