Gaining consistency with heavier shafts

Evok

Don't worry, Be happy!
Reaction score
Handicap
Just seeing who else has gained any consistency by going to a heavier shaft. My main focus is on driver and fw's. I just recently starting thinking about going heavier in my driver and 3w because they are my least consistent right now. Now I know this will very between player and getting fit will tell of course and I'm sure consistency could be gained via swing changes but just for conversation who's gone up and seen improvement? My thinking stems from my irons feeling great and I've been hitting them really well (120g KBS tour up from 85g old set) and the same goes for my hybrids (75g up from 65g old set) but I lose the consistency when moving to 3w (40g) and especially driver (51g), those are the clubs I haven't messed with. Personally they feel super light and sometimes I feel all over the place and makes me wonder if the drastic weight difference between my set is causing it. I've never messed around with heavier shafts in those clubs (big box stores nearby don't have much) and definitely plan to but I figured before I make the trek to a good fitter I'll ask the fine folks here. Thoughts?

It's worked well for me as well.

120g TT DG S300 shafts in my irons
82g Diamana Ahina in my 3 wood
72g Diamana Ahina in my driver

I'm looking at the 90g Ahina shaft for a hybrid too.

I also think the torque makes a huge difference for me. I play x-stiff shafts in my woods and have found more fairways. I think it has less to do with the flex throughout the shaft and more to do with its resistance to twisting (for me).

I went from heavier shafts to lighter shafts (110 to 85), and noticed it. More distance, but my swing was all over the place. Decided to go back to get fit, shaft optimizer recommend the shafts below, and I think that it's going to be a good combo...still waiting for them to come in though from order, so haven't tried them out anywhere but in the simulator.

Every time I've been through a fitting heavier has proven better for me. I went from 72g to a 79g in driver and am looking at dropping in a 89ish in 3wd and going 100ish in my hybo if it stays in the bag, irons have proven to work better at 120-130g

Heavier just works for me I can feel the club better and get it through the ball more consistently than a lighter shaft.

I have hit lots of light shafts and I can hit them and do well with them, but this requires lots of changes in tempo and release that I don't want to do. I want clubs/shafts that got my swing and do not want to change the swing to fit the club.

I like a heavier shaft myself but they aren't for everyone. It sounds like you do well with heavier. I can only assume you swing pretty hard.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I definitely plan on trying some stuff but just wanted to get some insight. Freddie I don't have a crazy fast ss (driver is around 100-103) but my transition is pretty quick. Just feels all over with the 50g shafts. Wish my local store had more to try out but they don't.

Evok like you mine isn't super fast (104-108 consistent driver 90-6i) but I'm told it's my hand speed through impact that effects what shafts work best for me.

Driver - 65 gram
Fairway woods - 75 grams
Hybrids - 85 grams
Irons - 130 grams
I find that i get more constant tempo which leads to more constant play
I find that if i go lighter than 60 grams in my driver i get quick and too heavy my swing speed slows down too much

Definitely recommend the fitting--this is the direction they took me with heavier shafts and a specific ball flight spin profile too--so the complete fitting helps a ton to dial it in. For me it was the Nippon Modus 3 tour 120 S.

Just found this older thread and I have noticed that since going to the CTL I have more dispersion issues, now I know a lot of that could just be be lining up wrong, etc.

But I never considered the lighter shaft might be a factor.

I went from C Taper S SS to the CTL S SS trying to get reduce the wear on the joints, but to be honest I am just as sore as ever which I just write write off now as a age related thing. I like the CTL but wonder if anyone else has seen similar things from going lighter? I would love the try the MCI or Program shafts (in 100 or more weight) but just can't get my head around a set of shafts that nearly cost as much as the irons.

I like light in my irons but I like heavier in a driver. I feel like I have better control that way.

I went lighter in my driver and fairways this year, from mid seventy grams in the driver and eighties in fairways to mid sixties in the driver and seventies in fairways. Did not see much loss in control. I did maintain a heavier weight in my iron shafts though, I tried the KBS Tour V for a few rounds and did not care for the lighter weight.

Ident to a heavier shaft in my driver and I hit it much better. Still debating on which way to go with my irons.mi have KBS tour s in now and have considered the ctl

I like a heavier shaft myself but they aren't for everyone. It sounds like you do well with heavier. I can only assume you swing pretty hard.

That doesn't have to be the case. I am by no means swinging hard but in fitting found a definite relationship between shaft weight and ball flight/spin. The heavier the shaft the better my ball flight got. I ended up with KBS Tour 90 R shafts as they were the heaviest we could find.
I am seriously considering the same for my driver as moving to the lighter shaft in the SLDR from the R1 has not helped me hit the ball more consistently.

That doesn't have to be the case. I am by no means swinging hard but in fitting found a definite relationship between shaft weight and ball flight/spin. The heavier the shaft the better my ball flight got. I ended up with KBS Tour 90 R shafts as they were the heaviest we could find.
I am seriously considering the same for my driver as moving to the lighter shaft in the SLDR from the R1 has not helped me hit the ball more consistently.

What doesn't have to be the case?

...that he is swinging pretty hard

Based on my professional opinion and what I read, he has a heavy load into the ball with some speed. Not seeing his swing and going off what he posted I wouldn't think he had a slower swing speed.

Based on my professional opinion and what I read, he has a heavy load into the ball with some speed. Not seeing his swing and going off what he posted I wouldn't think he had a slower swing speed.

Is that typical, that heavier shafts work better for guys who load the shaft hard at the bottom?

Is that typical, that heavier shafts work better for guys who load the shaft hard at the bottom?

A heavier shaft will work in this case because of the results he is seeing with heavier iron shafts.

Everyone's swing is different so shafts will react differently. But there are certain base line checks that would show me red flags.

There are also guys that can swing both light and heavy shafts because of their smooth tempo.

Thanks. I have been trying to figure out why I am better with heavier shafts in my irons (KBS Tour 90 R at 95 grams) and I am wondering if my driver and fairways would benefit as well. My typical miss is right because I don't get the toe around and I have a late release because I release on the outside of my left thigh.

i went to a 82g diamana in my 913d2 and it was the best thing i've ever done..... it had a 62g rip which i think was a little longer off the tee but could hardly find a fairway... lost about 10 yards with the 82g shaft but i'm hitting at least 5 more fairways a round....

Hey guys I have a similar question/comment. Right now I'm playing 85 gram shafts in my irons, was fit for a 135 gram shaft a few months ago, and had them installed in my PW and AW. I have a fast ss, but also pretty smooth and do well with the 85 gram shafts(still time for a change). After playing the heavier shafts I don't think they're right for me.

Tried the kbs tour v 110 gram shaft and I really liked it. Should I tell my fitter how the 135 gram shafts have been working for me and see if he has kbs tour v in stock to try? Thinking I should at least have one installed and see how it works out...

I went from lightweight 75 gram shafts to the KBS Tour V shafts in the irons/wedges, and accuracy/consistency improved. Did the same with the hybrids and ditto. I am considering doing the same with the fairway woods and driver. Seems to help with swinging hard (over-swinging I guess), but I didn't lose any distance so I'm happy for now. I have very active hands/wrists and believe that when I get used to the shafts (get stronger), the problems that I had with the lighter shafts will return, so I've started taking lessons.

The lessons did far more than any equipment change to improve scores, so I'll continue them next year.

I'm enjoying knowing where the ball is likely to go for now though.

I went from lightweight 75 gram shafts to the KBS Tour V shafts in the irons/wedges, and accuracy/consistency improved. Did the same with the hybrids and ditto. I am considering doing the same with the fairway woods and driver. Seems to help with swinging hard (over-swinging I guess), but I didn't lose any distance so I'm happy for now. I have very active hands/wrists and believe that when I get used to the shafts (get stronger), the problems that I had with the lighter shafts will return, so I've started taking lessons.

The lessons did far more than any equipment change to improve scores, so I'll continue them next year.

I'm enjoying knowing where the ball is likely to go for now though.

Thanks a lot. So your saying you put kbs tour v shafts in your hybrids, or switched to a different heavier shaft? I was actually going to get a lesson in before I changed my shafts, so I'm glad you mentioned that.

Back