Stock vs. Aftermarket Grips

HuskerFan24

Reaction score
Handicap
I have Ping G15 Irons and Taylormade R11 Driver / Woods. All of them have the factory or stock grips. I was thinking of upgrading, but have never done so. Originally it was just to change the "look" of my equipment, but am curious, is there a value to switching? It is not that I feel I need them, but have never replaced them and therefore don't maybe know what I am missing. Any thoughts?

I have Ping G15 Irons and Taylormade R11 Driver / Woods. All of them have the factory or stock grips. I was thinking of upgrading, but have never done so. Originally it was just to change the "look" of my equipment, but am curious, is there a value to switching? It is not that I feel I need them, but have never replaced them and therefore don't maybe know what I am missing. Any thoughts?

Stock Ping ID-8 with ribs are among my favorites. I've put them on non Ping clubs! As for aftermarket, I'm partial to Lamkin and hate Winn, but that's just me.

I agree with Mark with loving Lamkin and not liking Winn. All my clubs will be getting I-Lines this week!

plenty of benefit to switching, even if the stock ones aren't worn out yet. You might find a grip that fits your hand better or that you like the feel of more. being comfortable with your grip can be a game changer, especially if the ones you have are too small.

I would absolutely suggest heading to a local golf stop to try out some different grips and see which ones you may like better or worse. Grip feel is a very personal experience and should be treated as such IMO.

I would absolutely suggest heading to a local golf stop to try out some different grips and see which ones you may like better or worse. Grip feel is a very personal experience and should be treated as such IMO.

I agree with this, most stores have a ton of grips attached to pieces of shaft so that you can hold them and find what fits you, a grip is pretty important and personal.

I prefer having the same grip on all my clubs. I like the "uniformity" and consistent feel no matter which club I have in my hand.

All a matter of personal preference. If you like uniformity in grips all through your set, then change. Some like different feels on different clubs, and maybe stock grips are giving you that, so no need to switch right now. They will wear out with use so you will eventually have to change them, but when and with what grip is up to you. Tons of great options out in the grip market.

I'm with the folks who really like the ID8 grips. I'd probably put them on my other clubs.

Couldn't say it any better than Jimmy did.

I prefer to play without a glove, and some stock grips seem to beat up my hands moreso than others. I've changed all of my stock grips over and haven't looked back.

Also, learn how to do it yourself. It couldn't be any easier and will not only save you some $, but add a hobby for those rainy nights/weekends.

Absolutely dude there's advantages! There's so many good grips out there that don't come stock, you're selling yourself short by not trying them. Like others said, I'd go to your local shop and give some a feel, I think you'll find something you love. Good luck!

A couple of things: One, getting uniform grips means uniform weight at the grip end of your clubs. Might be an issue, might not be. Getting uniform thickness of your grips might be a huge issue. Getting all your clubs the same diameter in the hand can be a huge benefit, IMO.

Try other grips, there are some out there that is probably better for your game. My advise, buy one grip and try it on the course. it may feel good in the store but when you get to playing it, it may not be the grip for you.

As many have said above and will say after me - TONS of advantages.

Forever I have played "standard" size grips until my instructor took a look and said "It looks to me like you are strangling the club" which I was I realized - holding onto if for dear life and my fingertips were pressed against my palm. Went and got fitted for the proper grip a month or so ago and I now have New Decade Multi Compound Mid-size grips and I couldn't be happier - really took my wrists out of the shot so my hands are "quieter" - now I have a nice straight ball flight with a slight draw if I try and "step on it"

Also, keep in mind when selecting what kind of grip the playing conditions you play in (humid, dry, wet usually, etc etc) - I am a firm believer in the New Decade MCs.

Further, not sure if you considered this but putter grips have come a long way and there is a ton of praise for the super stroke series.

In the end, head over to a reputable golf shop and chat it up with them (highly recommend a PGA superstore if you have one by you)

Good luck!

I prefer midsize grips so I amways swap out the stock for the Golf Pride MC midsize.

Back