Too Many Shot Options

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday during my round I was reminded of how many (lack there of) shots I have in the bag.

My chipping around the green is controlled by different lofts not different shots. My pitches are a series of 2 different types using different clubs. jm not a open yhe club up and hit it high. I use fww to bump and run... guess thats just how I was taught to play.

With the variences and countless option these days when it comes to shortgame, do you feel sometimes there are too many choices? Do you have many shots to choose from or are you like me and have a very limited arsenal by choice?

I keep it very simple. If I need to hit a high shot I will change the lofts with my and always make the same shot approach and if I want to keep it down I'll hit like a bump with a hybrid or something

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Never. I love having the amount of shots I have because you never know what you will need to do. You can't always pitch the ball especially out here on courses that have harder faster greens. Once you get the confidence with wedges and different shots you'd be surprised how easy they really are to pull off.

I chip with an 8 iron, or, if I have to carry something like a bunker, I pitch with one of two wedges. If I'm on the fringe around the green I use my putter. So I have four shots to choose from.

...With the variences and countless option these days when it comes to shortgame, do you feel sometimes there are too many choices? Do you have many shots to choose from or are you like me and have a very limited arsenal by choice?

I chip with an 8 iron, or, if I have to carry something like a bunker, I pitch with one of two wedges. If I'm on the fringe around the green I use my putter. So I have four shots to choose from.

I like this idea, KISS. Right now that's how I play since my wedges aren't my strong suit, but I'm working on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I practice multiple types of shots. I like knowing that if I need one (or even just want one) I am comfortable with it. sometimes I want more run out on approaches, sometimes I want less. If I only had the option of playing one type of short shot, I feel like I would be cheating myself out of a save I could otherwise get.

I have a vivid imagination and can hit a ton of different shots but have a couple of go to shots. I'm never confused or unsure of which to hit though.

I like to have a variety of shots at my disposal but there are only a couple I practice with regularity. I don't have the brain capacity to remember a bunch thank God.

I used to use just one club for all my chips/pitches. I would just move it forward or back in my stance and alter my hand involvement depending on the shot shape I wanted. I've since changed and now use a variety of clubs depending on the shot shape I want. With using one club, the margin of error was small and put a lot pressure on my putting to make up for mis-hits. With using multiple clubs, there's a wider margin of error (i.e. mis-hit still ending up close enough to the hole for a "make-able" putt).

From my point of the game there is no enough shots. It starts with what ground do I have under the ball?
fairway
a divot
mud
pine needles
sand
leaves
air ;-)
and so on

then how much green do I have to play with, how fast is it and so on.....
Or soft ground, swing agains the grain.....

I may wrong I may not but I'm glad if the conditions allow me to chose from at least two shots and I can go with the one I feel confident.... ;-)

Too Many Shot Options

I like wedge practice. Lately I have been trying to open up the face of my 60* and hit the Mickelson flop shot. I can hit it about 5 - 10% of the time during practice, have it go straight up in the air travel 10', land and stop. The other times it goes horribly wrong. Since short game practice is free, I do it as often as time allows. Would love to try it in a round one day ...

Last edited:
I have a lot of trouble hitting a high soft chip to carry a hazard or similar.

If I don't have to worry about that I'm pretty solid with my short game generally

I like wedge practice. Lately I have been trying to open up the face of my 60* and hit the Mickelson flop shot. I can hit it about 5 - 10% of the time during practice, have it go straight up in the air travel 10', land and stop. The other times it goes horribly wrong. Since short game practice is free, I do it as often as time allows. Would love to try it in a round one day ...

Haha I used to love practicing that shot, fun fun fun lol. I do love he short game practice too though.

I don't have have a lot of options around the green. I use 2 wedges and open the face when I need to. I also use the putter around the green when possible.

I have a vivid imagination and can hit a ton of different shots but have a couple of go to shots. I'm never confused or unsure of which to hit though.

Quoted for truth. This is my short game. There is nothing I won't try. A couple weeks ago my ball landed about a 20 inches in front of a tree stump, the ball was directly between the stump and the flag. I didn't have enough room to get behind the ball, so what did I do? Hit if off the stump and try and send it back to the green. I only made it to the fringe, but I sure surprised my playing partners.

I want to have as many shots in my bag as I can but lets live in reality that I have a few go to shots that I am really comfortable with.

I love practicing the short game, but usually just play the higher percentage shots during a round. It is nice to know that if you absolutely have to hit a high flopper, that you can , with some degree of success.

I took the flop shot out of my bag. I've struggled the last couple of years to execute it, and usually there is a safer option. It has been replaced with the 3-wood bump and run.

I like trying different shots all the time. Flip the club over and swing lefty, draws, fades, high, punch, punch hook. I don't have the punch fade. Do I use these shots regularly? No, definitely not. And in competition, I'm limited to basically straight shots, and like you, around the green, I will use different clubs to get varying loft. But when in competition, you need to go for the gold, it's nice to know you've at least hit the shot before if I have to pull off a 'stranger' shot.

For me, I guess, it comes down to weighing risk vs reward. I'm more willing to take higher risk for higher reward when not in competition.

~Rock

I prefer to bump and run if possible with a PW or 7 iron. If I need to flop I'll use my 58, not my strong suit but improving.
I'll usually take putter from the fringe but sometimes the width of the fringe and the grain of the grass may change that.

For me, the short game is all about creativity and I love having as many shots available as I possibly can. The key is to also know when your basic go to shot is all that's required and not to out think yourself. Luckily there are 3 different (one fair, one pretty good and one excellent) short game practice areas in my vicinity. I love to take a shag bag and just throw balls in random places to work on every possible kind of shot I may see in the course of a round - no surprises equals a confident shot. I can spend hours out there :D

Back