How long to give a new club?

2-3 range sessions for me to be convinced. I've had too many bad initial impressions for a club that i hit like crap, only to come back the next day, make a minor adjustment, and turn it into one of my favorite clubs.

If you're playing another option that much better, I wouldn't change it. I wanted to love my SeeMore, but it just didn't work out for me.

For me a few range sessions and 2 on-course rounds. This happened to me with the R1 - I really really wanted to love it - was even fit for one on a LM but at the end of the day it just didn't transfer to be a very consistent club...traded it for a black tie shaft and rangefinder...

For me a few range sessions and 2 on-course rounds. This happened to me with the R1 - I really really wanted to love it - was even fit for one on a LM but at the end of the day it just didn't transfer to be a very consistent club...traded it for a black tie shaft and rangefinder...

I've been fit to clubs that ended up being turds on the course as well. Super frustrating. I think the more consistent the swing gets, the less of an issue that is for me... At least I hope it is. :D

In my instance its a unique situation. I do believe in club fitting and hitting clubs before hand. Wasn't able to with this one. I've got 10 rounds in with the club. Going to give it a few more rounds before I decide what to do.

I never buy until I've used a club both on the range and on the course. I'll know before any money ever changes hands.

I tend to tinker a lot, but if a club isn't performing on the range, it may not even make the course. I like to give it two to three rounds as a true test, he third round is only if I got mixed results in the first two.

I never buy until I've used a club both on the range and on the course. I'll know before any money ever changes hands.
That's how I am. I'll hit tons of balls on several different occasions to be sure about it before I spend a lot of money. Exceptions being a low cost ($50) used club if I think it might work for me. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars, I'll know if I can use it before I ever spend the money.

That's how I am. I'll hit tons of balls on several different occasions to be sure about it before I spend a lot of money. Exceptions being a low cost ($50) used club if I think it might work for me. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars, I'll know if I can use it before I ever spend the money.

It is the one thing I love about my home course. If they have any clubs you want to try, you can take them to the range and to the course and for as long as you like. If they don't have what you want, they will get it ASAP. They always try and have several demo's of everything.

I've just now assembled a set that is all less than 5 years old, except for the 905r. I can't really afford to mess with things much, if it doesn't work, it's usually me and I work on the swing.

I don't put a club in my bag until I am comfortable with it. My last set of irons got 2 months of range time before they went into my bag.

I don't put a club in my bag until I am comfortable with it. My last set of irons got 2 months of range time before they went into my bag.

No way I could wait that long, half the season would be over! I haven't taken too many clubs out in a short time but if I don't have confidence I tend not to pull that club. If I go for a while without using a club in my bag I will usually know it isn't for me.

Depends. Bad enough and it's shunned immediately. Maybe after a range session even. Ain't nobody got time for that.

^THIS...

I guess I'm a bit different than most but I have trouble letting go. I give clubs quite a while before they get the boot.

/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I once sold a club after 6 swings. I took it to the course to play 9 holes, teed off with it on all of the holes I would normally use driver on, and boxed it back up and relisted it that evening.

I tend to stick with clubs. I may not use them repeatedly, but I'll hang on to them and even put them back in the rotation every now and then.

My game is so inconsistent, I'd be changing my whole bag every other hole.

I've had clubs that take a good 4-5 range sessions to dial in or get comfortable with.

Now, granted, I may have had 3-4 different SWINGS at those sessions too. But I've learned not to give up on a club too quickly.

Well, my son "bought" me a new driver a couple of years ago (He's 2 now, so saying he 'bought' it is more a matter of accounting). I hit it great for a month, just as I'd been hitting it great for a month in the store before I bought it. Then it went awful. Either hitting it only 15 feet off the ground, or hitting it high enough, with a 90* slice. A did that for 1.5 years. About a month ago, something clicked with some lessons I've had on my irons, and then I saw something on Golf Channel. I went out to the course, gave it a try, and now I'm hitting the driver better than I ever have. So I guess it just depends how much patience you have.

~Rock

When I get a new club it's usually after A/B-ing it with the club it's going to replace. If it's not significantly better it's not even being bought. but in your situation where you were not able to test it before buying I would do the same thing - Take it to the range. If it's not any better than the club I'm wanting to replace it won't even make it to the course. Why spend months and countless strokes trying to make something work just because you spent money on it? Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and admit it's not the club for you.

It is the one thing I love about my home course. If they have any clubs you want to try, you can take them to the range and to the course and for as long as you like. If they don't have what you want, they will get it ASAP. They always try and have several demo's of everything.

That makes a huge difference. Private club?

2 rounds is my limit. My brand new AP1's gave me nothing but high scores during the first round after a range session. The second round was even worse. Took them out, bought AP2's and have been shooting better ever since.

Side note: Had my lowest 9 hole round yesterday. Shot a 38, first time breaking 40 in my life. Words couldn't describe my happiness. Used my 3 hybrid off the tee on every driving hole.

I usually do multiple demo sessions before I buy, and do a direct compare with the club it's replacing so by the time I pull the trigger I'm pretty certain the club is going to work.

All that being said, if it doesn't come around in a month - which for me is usually a couple of rounds and maybe 4 range sessions and I'm hitting everything else OK, then I'm out.

With putters, if I'm not comfortable with it, missing the sweet spot or just not putting a good roll over the ball after 2-3 sessions it gets the hook. If those click it can take me a while longer to get the distance dialed in.

I guess I'm lucky. Not only does my local golf shop let me demo either a 6 or 7 iron, they also let me demo a driver or 3 wood if they have it. So after all that, even after I order and pay for it, the shop has a 30 day return policy where they give you 90% back in store credit.

I can even demo different shafts. The only bad thing is I play an X-stiff and they have a very limited amount of x-stiffs so I just have to go on feel and hope the dispersion tightens up which so far it's worked out. They typically don't do returns on components but they are generous with customers who have made multiple orders with them rather than ppl who just take advantage of demoing different stuff with no intent to buy.

Depends. Bad enough and it's shunned immediately. Maybe after a range session even. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm with you there. Some are just plain misses right out of the gate. They never see the course. I know within 15 balls that's just not going to work.

On things that see the course, they typically get 1-2 rounds. I don't play as many rounds as most on here though due to time, so that might be two months worth of practice as well.

Back