Drills for proper weight shift

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
Seems like one thing or another for me the last year or two, but it seems one of my swing faults has been no weight shift and hanging back through impact.

What are some drills I can do to help feel the proper weight shift and groove the feeling? Also, any tips on set up to help with this?

I saw Michael Breed on GC do a drill where he was taking a small step with the front foot to initiate the downswing. This helped a little, just wanting to hear what has helped you all.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Seems like one thing or another for me the last year or two, but it seems one of my swing faults has been no weight shift and hanging back through impact.

What are some drills I can do to help feel the proper weight shift and groove the feeling? Also, any tips on set up to help with this?

I saw Michael Breed on GC do a drill where he was taking a small step with the front foot to initiate the downswing. This helped a little, just wanting to hear what has helped you all.

I was doing this chair bump drill. You can YouTube I think. Works pretty well but I was also helping my mom with her weight transfer and there's a drill where you play the ball outside of your front foot to get the feeling of having to get forward to get to it. Eventually you start to move it back to normal position. Hope that makes sense haha that drill should be online as well

I was doing this chair bump drill. You can YouTube I think. Works pretty well but I was also helping my mom with her weight transfer and there's a drill where you play the ball outside of your front foot to get the feeling of having to get forward to get to it. Eventually you start to move it back to normal position. Hope that makes sense haha that drill should be online as well

Crossfield had a good video on that drill I think. Helped me some.

The ball forward drill helped me a bunch. When I still have issues, I'll raise my left heel just slightly, no more than 2in, and slam that down to start my downswing. I know that's heresy to some, but it helps. I suffer from massive hit impulse and tend to start the downswing with my upper body, so the heel slam helps me get going from the ground up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Preset the right leg at address. Get into your address position and flex the inner thigh while keeping the knee flexed. Go ahead and make you back swing and just concentrate on the tension you have created with the inner thigh of the right leg. This will do two thing; 1. keep the right knee flexed 2. not allow you to get on the outside of the right foot. As you make you move back into the ball you will shift over to the left with ease. Make sure you keep your head behind the ball and allow the lower body to move left.

I definitely feel like the weight shift is helping me to not hit behind the ball. Now to address my other issues without losing track of this one.

Preset the right leg at address. Get into your address position and flex the inner thigh while keeping the knee flexed. Go ahead and make you back swing and just concentrate on the tension you have created with the inner thigh of the right leg. This will do two thing; 1. keep the right knee flexed 2. not allow you to get on the outside of the right foot. As you make you move back into the ball you will shift over to the left with ease. Make sure you keep your head behind the ball and allow the lower body to move left.

To emphasis this feeling, I put a golf ball under the right side of my right foot. This increases the feeling of where your weight is and makes it very easy to shift your weight through to the left side.

I'm definitely getting the feeling of shifting my weight. I feel like I'm standing up as I shift and swing through though

Back