Driver suggestions for a new golfer (lefty)

poisondonut

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All,
I started playing golf last year at a par 3 9 hole course that was very short so only irons were required. Now that I've started playing longer courses, I've been using a 10 degree hand me down driver. Unfortunately last Sunday the driver head flew off the shaft. Oh well, it was very old.

I'm looking to buy a new driver, but I honestly have no clue what that old driver was except that it was a deep driver, but no info on the shaft. I was able to crush a few hits quite nicely, got probably upwards of 280 yards on very good hits. My irons are steel shaft ping eye 2's, I have no idea if this can help with what driver to go after.

I really want to stick to something affordable but good quality ( say $80 or less, I'm on a budget). Used would be okay as well. Any off the top of your head suggestions for a lefty?

When I was hitting with the old driver at 10 degrees, I got pretty good ball flight, and only when I struck poorly did I shoot line drive type shots.

Thanks in advance.

other stats: 5'10, male, 28 years old, keep in good shape and quite strong.

with that budget, you have fewer options... and it also takes any sort of fitting out of the equation. I think many folks here would agree that the amp cell is a great beginner's driver (and not just for beginners, either). They can be had for around $80 used if you look around.

what is it you are after distance or keeping it straight if you are looking for a cheaper driver try to find a nike sumo2 square. My first driver helped me keep straight, it also helped my 3 mates when they started off as well. Prob get one for £40-50

The Clevleand Classic XL is down that low already and you would have a great shaft that is valued more than that.

You may be able to snag a Callaway X-Hot Driver for $80 used, that provides a pretty good mix of forgiveness and performance.

Here is the homepage review on it: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=19347

I agree that last year's X-Hot is right up your alley. It gives a great combination of distance and forgiveness. I'm GUESSING that you would do well with a regular shaft but that's a guess. When in doubt, I would go regular. However, you're not getting an X-Hot for $80: http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com...3,default,pd.html?cgid=drivers#view=inventory

so....

This is a great choice for your first driver:

supers.jpg

I'm not saying you should buy this specific one...I'm not advertising...just an example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adams-Golf-...80913169695?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item58b031b51f

And, by the way, any of the Speedlines would be a good start. The Speedline LS is usually cheaper and more than likely good for you, especially as you improve. Heck, you can get a Speedline 11 for less than $30 at places and it's still a good driver.

Look for a used cleveland classic xl custom or adams fast 12ls. Both can be had for cheap and are solid.
good luck. Hit em straight.

Poisen: Being left handed you are in a very unique situation when purchasing clubs. If you do not live in a large city your situation will be even more difficult in that left handed clubs are considerably more difficult to find than right handed, and therefore not readily available for testing before purchase. Also, even if you find a Driver you really like, your swing will probably be improving over the next several years, and what would work for you today, may not be proper to meet your needs a year from now.

For those reasons I offer the following: Whatever you buy, try to get an adjustable club. This will allow you the greatest flexibility in adjusting to your swing characteristics.

Most major manufacturers have been making adjustable drivers for the past several years in which the head has adjustments for fade or draw, and the shaft can be adjusted for loft; or can be switched to a softer or firmer flex. These top of the line clubs are readily available online in used models from 2011 through 2013 for under $100.

If you can find a quality used adjustable club in your area that you can try before you buy, all the better. Stick with the most popular "top of the line" clubs, and read as many of the large online store reviews, by purchasers, as possible. Look for large numbers of reviewers and highest ratings.

Be wary of personal online brand and model recommendations, such as found in these forums, as many golfers are not only manufacturer biased, but also may not be able to relate to your swing needs.

I am a left handed 75 year old golfer who lives in a small town in northern California and still plays bogie golf several times a week. Almost every club I have purchased in the last 15 years has been purchased without ever having the opportunity to test one like it because of the lack of left hand availability; but all of the clubs I own (presently 5 drivers, 3 iron sets, about 15 woods and hybrids) are fully playable, quality clubs. They have just been benched because of my changing needs as I get older.

I do hope this is of help to you. If you cannot find what you need, and need further help, let me know by replying to my post, and if you are willing to pay the postage, I may be able to help you further.

Good Luck!

Poisen:

Be wary of personal online brand and model recommendations, such as found in these forums, as many golfers are not only manufacturer biased, but also may not be able to relate to your swing needs.

Irony of this statement aside, I've found the suggestions on THP to be first rate, often better than suggestions I've found in stores and even among pros, all of which also have brand biases.

To each their own, though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Irony of this statement aside, I've found the suggestions on THP to be first rate, often better than suggestions I've found in stores and even among pros, all of which also have brand biases.

To each their own, though.

THP hasn't steered me wrong either. Lots of great advice and reviews.

THP hasn't steered me wrong either. Lots of great advice and reviews.

Interesting reactions to a very general note of caution about forum advise on the entire internet. Obviously there is some great advise, and there are some great reviews on THP. Also obviously my comment was about individual commenters, on forums throughout the internet, NOT THP . That said, I stick by my cautionary comments.

I have A cobra AMP I cAn send you if you want, I have the stock stiff shaft and a stiff kuro kage with it

Forgot to add, my amp is a 10.5 and both shafts are cut down to 45", lefty of course.

PM your address if you want

Hey CBill, Thank you so much for your offer and sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I really would appreciate any help and paying postage would be no problem at all :)

I'm currently playing some very old clubs (ping eye 2's) 3-7,9 so i know at some point i need an 8 and PW, any suggestions? My woods are also old ping woods that at some point I need to replace but they still hit pretty well. The lacquer and paint are gone so it was recommended by a PGA salesman to retire them and buy something new before the wood gets damaged.

The only concerns about driver are what level of stiffness I would need. I don't know what my swing speed is, is there some way to find out?

The advice on buying something adjustable is something I didn't realize you could do so I'll definitely make sure to see if what driver I go with can be adjusted as my game changes.

Donut: saw your post today. Sorry for the delay. Will take me a few days to put things together. I have a driver I think you will like. Also some other clubs. Just need the time to go through what I have. Give me a day or two. I will be trying to send you a PM. Also, please resend your previous PM. I do not think my settings were set to receive PMs; but I have changed settings.

Will be waiting to hear from you.

Back