Random Block Slice

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,

Need a little help here. I don't have a video but wanted to confirm a thought of why my miss right now is a block cut or block slice. These shots come out of nowhere after hitting some shots really well. It is mostly with the driver but can happen with the irons but not much.

My thought is that I am dipping the back shoulder down, putting me under plane with a wide open face, and not bringing it down and out towards the ball (90 degree rotation). Does this make sense? I will go from nailing a drive with a 5 yard to hitting one way right and moving right.

This is maddening because this is usually not my miss at all and I wasn't in the right frame of mind to fix it while I was playing yesterday.

Thanks in advance!

A block cut or slices comes from getting out in front of the ball not hanging back. The block would constitute a square club face but lagging behind you so its square but right of its intended target. Since the arms are moving left you impart some side axis spin and get the shot that starts right and tails even further right.

If you had said you were just slicing the ball I'd say you were hanging back.
Freddie,

Need a little help here. I don't have a video but wanted to confirm a thought of why my miss right now is a block cut or block slice. These shots come out of nowhere after hitting some shots really well. It is mostly with the driver but can happen with the irons but not much.

My thought is that I am dipping the back shoulder down, putting me under plane with a wide open face, and not bringing it down and out towards the ball (90 degree rotation). Does this make sense? I will go from nailing a drive with a 5 yard to hitting one way right and moving right.

This is maddening because this is usually not my miss at all and I wasn't in the right frame of mind to fix it while I was playing yesterday.

Thanks in advance!

Freddie,

Thanks in advance!

There are three swing instances where I have the same problem:
  1. Try to hit long - I grip too tight and revert to a baseball swing leaving the face open with a bit of an outside / in path. This one pushes right and then fades or heavily fades farther right. If I cast, it slices.
  2. Not finishing - I don't complete my rotation to finish which leaves the face slightly open at contact and I push / block it to the right. Not as far right as #1.
  3. Try to hit easy - in an effort to relax my swing, I overcompensate and I dip my right shoulder as I come through. However, this problem can send it left or right.

I do complete my weight shift so I am not hanging back on the right foot.

Last edited:
A block cut or slices comes from getting out in front of the ball not hanging back. The block would constitute a square club face but lagging behind you so its square but right of its intended target. Since the arms are moving left you impart some side axis spin and get the shot that starts right and tails even further right.

If you had said you were just slicing the ball I'd say you were hanging back.

Ok I'm not denying I'm getting my weight through but I have a feeling I'm letting the back shoulder tilt down and not working down and out. This pushes my path too in to out.

Are my thoughts all wrong. I have been told in the past when I was doing this that I was dipping the shoulder rather and rotating it.

Sent from my Moto X

Freddie played 9 holes tonight and man my ball striking was way way better. I concentrated on a slow wide takeaway and then starting the down swing with a small little bump of the hips. I know this can be bad if overdone but I didn't over do it and i hit more solid shots than I have in a while.

Thoughts? What could I have been doing that a small bump forward seems to have helped me?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back