Help me choose my next golf ball!

The_PharmASSIST

Medicinal Mulligans
Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings THP!

I've been playing golf for about a year now. I've finally been playing enough to get some consistency in my swing and my game and usually shoot between 95-100 when I play 18 holes (A MASSIVE improvement from when I started).

Up until this point I have been pretty much exclusively using pure distance balls (Top Flite D2+ Distance) mostly because they're cheap and I used to lose a ton of balls. Fortunately (when I don't accidentally slice it) I have a really solid drive and can usually nail it between 275 and 300 with a nice slight draw. My hybrid/long irons are performing solid as well.

However, my control on/around the greens is severely lacking. Whenever I try to chip, pretty much no matter what I do, the ball will land on the green and roll past its target. It has become a huge problem on approach shots as well as hitting out of green-side bunkers. Not to mention I just plain do NOT like the rock-hard feel of the distance balls.

I believe it is time for me to move past the pure distance ball and into something that has a bit more green-side control. I do understand that this problem could partially be fixed by more practice and improving my skill, but I think a change is in order. I also understand that I won't be hitting shots that roll backwards toward me either, I just want it to stop sooner.

I have been looking at several different makers, and many of the balls in the general mid/high handicap range are apparently designed for swing speeds below 90 mph (it would seem). When I have used a monitor or been fitted, my driver SS is pretty consistently between 95-100mph.

Here are some of the models I have been interested in, I'm trying to keep the cost below $25-30/12balls:
* Srixon Q-STAR
* Titleist DT SoLo
* Titleist NXT Tour/Tour S
* Top Flite Gamer
* Taylormade Rocketballz

Are any of these suggestions seriously misguided? Would my (slightly higher than average SS for a newb) negatively affect the performance of any of these? (Some seem to be marketed for lower swing speeds). Do you have any other opinions/suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!

(P.S. Plz don't tell me to use Pro V1's.. no way I'm paying $48 for 12 balls.. :banghead:)

I'd at least give the MG C4 a try. $20 a dozen and great spin and feel. Also the Vision 808 is a pretty solid value.

Help me choose my next golf ball!

Look at the Bridgestone e5 and e6 lines. Better yet, do an online fitting at the Bridgestone site (B-Fit).

Bridgestone e6 would be my suggestion.

The Gamer & Q-star are nice also look at the e5

Look at the Bridgestone e5 and e6 lines. Better yet, do an online fitting at the Bridgestone site (B-Fit).

Bridgestone e6 would be my suggestion.

I agree with these two guys. I play the B330-RX and on multiple occasion have thrown the e6 into play and the difference is hardly noticeable around the green. (Note there will be differences).

I think it is a true statement that all urethane balls spin about the same. Find the cheapest season old ball on sale you can and go with it.

Going off your location and how far you say you hit your driver on a good shot, I'm inclined to say the Bridgestone e6 or the Callaway X2Hot+. Both are great at reducing sidespin off the tee and get a nice high launch with the irons. Even when spin doesn't stop them cold on the greens, the trajectory often puts them closer than the divot than you might give them credit for. Doesn't do too much for making chips check and whatnot, but great for getting full iron shots on the green.

A little more expensive but offering more spin on shots around the green, I continue to be a big fan of the Callaway Hex Chrome and Hex Chrome +. Durable, long off the tee, and plenty of spin around the greens.

There are so many great golf balls in that $25-$30 range and none of them will hold your game back and many of them might help your scoring over the super premium balls. The already mentioned Bridgestone e6 and also the Maxfli U3 would be at the top of my list. I play the Maxfli U3 or U4 under most conditions and actually prefer them over the super premium balls which spin too much for me on full approach shots. If I have PGA Tour like conditions = very difficult course with tight pin locations with uber fast greens, l will play a ProV1 or similar ball. Unfortunately I'm not on tour so rarely have a need for a ball that is tailored to those conditions.

Qstar and NXT are solid choices that I have gamed this yr and the Project(a) showed lots of promise during my testing of it, the e6 was a good ball when I Played it a two yrs ago.

Thanks for all the awesome input guys! I suppose I had never considered Bridgestone before this. I will have to add those to the list as well.

Just another quick question, how do you feel about the difference between the DT Solo and the NXT Tour? Might I see some benefit from going with the cheaper DT Solo vs the more expensive NXT's?

EDIT: I just did the 'online' fitting for Bridgestone and they recommend the e6 as well. I will have to check it out.

Last edited:
I suppose I never considered the Wilson Staff either....

Alright, here is an updated list, balls in bold I'm considering more than the others after more reading:
- Srixon Q-STAR
- Titleist DT SoLo
- Titleist NXT Tour/Tour S
- Top Flite Gamer
- Taylormade Rocketballz
- Callaway SuperSoft
- Bridgestone e6

Out of all the remaining balls I've listed, which one would YOU pick and why?

Of those four it would be the e6 without a second though. Great feeling ball. Solid performer on full shots.

E6, great ball

I suppose I never considered the Wilson Staff either....

Alright, here is an updated list, balls in bold I'm considering more than the others after more reading:
- Srixon Q-STAR
- Titleist DT SoLo
- Titleist NXT Tour/Tour S
- Top Flite Gamer
- Taylormade Rocketballz
- Callaway SuperSoft
- Bridgestone e6

Out of all the remaining balls I've listed, which one would YOU pick and why?

There are a lot more factors that come into play other than personal opinion/preferences - some people spin the heck out of a ball so don't need a spinner ball - others struggle with distance so need a more distance-focused ball. Also playing conditions, etc. can have an affect (wind, dry, wet), etc.

My suggestion would be to get 1 sleeve of the Srixons and 1 sleeve of the Bridgestone e6 - I have found a few Q-stars while playing and really liked them - decent distance and the short game spin was very nice - comparable to some of the more expensive balls I have played previously.

The reason I say try the Bridgestone is there are lots of great reviews across the entire Bridgestone line if you give THP a search - can't hurt to try them.

Goodluck with your search!

Whenever I try to chip, pretty much no matter what I do, the ball will land on the green and roll past its target.

I struggled with roll out with E6 (but brilliant in all other aspects) and I know a few folks said similar. Personally, just couldn't adjust. I found the Q-star (AD333 in UK) better in this regard.

But all the fun is in trying them out, be sure to report back!

Thanks for all the input again! I'm going to the pro shop today and I think after reading all of this, I'm probably going to pick up some: Bridgestone e6's and Srixon Q-Stars. Both of those seem to get decent reviews. Everyone here seems to be in love with the Bridgestones so I need to at least take a look at them.

Yea, you're not going to get spin from any of those balls comparable to something with a urethane cover. If that's your primary goal I wouldn't buy any of the balls on that list and start looking at things like the e5, Chrome+, project(a), etc.

Thanks for all the awesome input guys! I suppose I had never considered Bridgestone before this. I will have to add those to the list as well.

Just another quick question, how do you feel about the difference between the DT Solo and the NXT Tour? Might I see some benefit from going with the cheaper DT Solo vs the more expensive NXT's?

EDIT: I just did the 'online' fitting for Bridgestone and they recommend the e6 as well. I will have to check it out.

PM me your address and I can send you a few of the e6's.

Bridgestone e6's for sure. Also try out a sleeve of Wilson Staff Duos both are really great balls for the price!!

Lots of good choices but I would add Callaway X2 Hot 90+ balls, tailored for your swing speed:

callaway_x2hot.jpg

Or the Callaway Supersoft:

6722_Callaway-SuperSoft-Hero.jpg

The Bridgeston E6 is a nice ball too but I had trouble with it. I've found both of the Callaways to be extremely effective within their price point. And, you can pick up the Supersofts for $16 per dozen at times.

Last edited:
i would also trow into the mix the Nike pd soft as a good softer cheap ball for only $11.99 a dozen.
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/nike-golf-power-distance-soft-golf-balls-with-sharpie.html

I picked one of these up on the course and was surprised how well it played.
When I was a better player years ago, I used either a Wilson Staff Smartcore or a Bridgestone B330. The Smartcore played well for cheaper but the B330 provided me better spin. I didn't care that much for the ProV1 when it came out. I liked the way the Wilson and the Bridgestone played for me. I currently am trying out a few. I am struggling to regain my swing and find spin on the greens. Here is how they performed for me.

B330-RX:
all around good ball, lose some distance compared to distance balls; still not as much spin as I would like on approach; putts very well, pricey unless try older model

Wilson Duo:
good to great distance, putts well, very very soft feel takes some getting used to, no major difference in spin noticeable from RX on approach but a little less on chips, inexpensive

Nike PD Soft:
good to great distance, putts well, similar spin to the Duo; surprisingly felt very good (I have never been a Nike golf ball fan before now), not overly soft feeling like the Duo, can be had for cheap

Titleist NXT Tour:
good distance, adequate spin (similar to RX), putt and chip well, moderate price

Titleist ProV1:
good distance, decent spin (a little better than RX), putt and chip well, expensive

From your list, I'd say test the NXT Tour S, Q-Star, and the E6... All great balls, but perform a little differently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back