Laser Link White Magic Rangefinder

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this model? Such an amazing price on them now, I've played around with the previous versions of the Laser Link at my home course, which uses the reflectors on the sticks, but this one will also do other targets. Such a reasonable price point, I'm curious about accuracy and durability.
image.jpg

[h=2]Laser Link White Magic Golf Rangefinder[/h] [h=3]Play With Confidence Knowing The Target You Want Is The Target You Receive![/h] The Laser Link White Magic Golf Rangefinder works as a "hit anything" rangefinder, so you can measure to any landmark on the golf course at the touch of a button. Plus, White Magic features Target Differentiation Technology -- know that the measurement you want is the measurement you get. [h=4]Laser Link White Magic Rangefinder features:[/h]
  • White Magic is able to distinguish between different types of light reflection, then provide feedback
  • Hit the Laser Link Smarty or SmartStick, and White Magic will "beep"
  • Hit trees behind the green, and White Magic will vibrate
  • Target Differentiation Technology is available from 101 - 700+ yards
  • Trademark pistol-shape design makes this the only rangefinder you can use without holding it to your eye, which means you don’t have to remove your hat or sunglasses to get a measurement
  • Zero-In Alignment System (ZAS) combines unique red dot aiming reference with an alignment circle included on the forward lens of the rangefinder
  • Target acquisition is fast and simple -measuring the distance to any target on the golf course is easier than ever
  • Customizable measurement feedback settings. Set your rangefinder for Audio, Silent, or Vibrate
  • Easy-to-use red dot alignment system – Laser Link trademark feature
  • Measures to landmarks, such as trees and bunkers, up to 400 yards
  • Measures to a Laser Link reflector up to 800 yards
  • Large, easy-to-read LCD screen
  • Measures in yards or meters
  • Designed to measure DISTANCE ONLY, so as to conform to USGA and R&A Rules
  • Auto Shutoff - unit automatically turns off after approximately 6 seconds
  • No downloads, no annual fees, no satellites
  • Carrying case included
  • Low battery indicator
  • Weight: 8 ounces
  • Size: 6” x 2 3/16” x 3 1/8”
  • Power Source: 9-Volt Alkaline (included)
  • ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

Range without reflector: 5 - 400 yards (5 - 366 meters)
    Range w/ Laser Link reflector: 5 - 800 yards (5 - 731 meters)
    Accuracy: +/- 1%
    * Laser Link Flagstick Reflector strongly recommended[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[h=2]White Magic Golf Rangefinder... More Accurate, Less Confusing![/h]

What's the deal with the design? Is there a function to the long stalk (or whatever) coming down from the bottom? Is it simply to hold? Or to steady the rangefinder on something? I've never used a range finder, but that one has a little too much of a "Spies Like Us" look to it.

It actually feels pretty good in hand, pistol grip style. The previous models seemed pretty easy to get a distance, but they were only to the flag, but at such a better price point, especially on sale, this one has my interest peaked for sure.
I did find this video:

Interesting tech in the Target Differentiation Technology. I'd have to hold it in hand to get a grip (no pun intended) on the pistol shape.

My friend has one shaped like that, but his is red. I have no idea what model his might be, but his is terrible at picking up the pin. To be fair though his is at least 2 or 3 years old, so they very well may have resolved that issue. One thing the shape is good for is it sits nicely in a cup holder on the cart. He just leaves it there the whole round, and it's there handy when he needs it.

My brother has one, not sure what the model is specifically, but it's red. Anyway, works well enough the one time I went with him to the course.

I use the eagle version. The eagle and the red hot only work with the prisms on the top of the stick or built into the sticks, they are completely useless for anything else. I did purchase this White Magic yesterday though as it has the ability to shoot the stick without prisms, bunkers, etc just like any other laser. If you play a course with the prisms these are awesome, aim at the stick push the button and yardage displayed, really speeds things up over a GPS or other range finders.

I use the eagle version. The eagle and the red hot only work with the prisms on the top of the stick or built into the sticks, they are completely useless for anything else. I did purchase this White Magic yesterday though as it has the ability to shoot the stick without prisms, bunkers, etc just like any other laser. If you play a course with the prisms these are awesome, aim at the stick push the button and yardage displayed, really speeds things up over a GPS or other range finders.
I can't wait to hear how it works on the course, I tried one out today and it didn't seem to grab the targets accurately or very quickly.

I can't wait to hear how it works on the course, I tried one out today and it didn't seem to grab the targets accurately or very quickly.

The White Magic version? I was debating the higher priced one at $299-20%, think it came in around $230ish with their sale.

The White Magic version? I was debating the higher priced one at $299-20%, think it came in around $230ish with their sale.

Yeah the white magic version. I'm going to try and put it head to head with my buddies Bushnell.

I just got one of these for sub-$150 and it works great. Target differentiation is very helpful, but I have no issues at all locking onto the prisms on flagsticks. It also is pretty easy to use when targeting other things on the course (hazards, trees, etc). I don't know how much more I would really need from a range finder.

It's nice to hear all of these positive reviews. All the guys I am on the course with have the handy dandy Bushnell range finders, but I don't have an extra $300 laying around and I didn't want to be "that guy" with the weird looking range finder in the group. These reviews make me want to invest in one of these because you can find them for about half of the price of the "standard" range finders on the market now...

I still don't care for them.
Harder to use without a doubt and in some cases do not work at all.

Them? As in rangefinders in general? I had a rangefinder a few years ago but I could never get consistently accurate readings to the stick. I tried an Android golf GPS app the other day but it sucked the battery down so quick I had to stop using.

Last edited:
That was what I found after testing it outside on the course, my bushnell just finds the targets better and the jolt on the flag is a nice touch.

I don't understand what problems people have locking onto flagsticks? I can easily hit the prisms at my local course from 225 yards.

I don't understand what problems people have locking onto flagsticks? I can easily hit the prisms at my local course from 225 yards.
I don't believe people have a problem with the prisms. It is hitting flag sticks without reflectors / prisms.

Them? As in rangefinders in general? I had a rangefinder a few years ago but I could never get consistently accurate readings to the stick. I tried an Android golf GPS app the other day but it sucked the battery down so quick I had to stop using.

Nope, I love rangefinders. Have quite a few of them and some are better than others without a doubt.

I don't believe people have a problem with the prisms. It is hitting flag sticks without reflectors / prisms.

This is very true. When you travel and golf at many different places, some courses do not use them. Then add hitting other objects and getting some "unique" readings compared to lasers and while the technology has gotten better across the board with the group (rangefinders), this one has been left behind in my opinion.

Don't almost all courses have prisms? I can't remember the last course I played that didn't have them.

Nope, I love rangefinders. Have quite a few of them and some are better than others without a doubt.

This is very true. When you travel and golf at many different places, some courses do not use them. Then add hitting other objects and getting some "unique" readings compared to lasers and while the technology has gotten better across the board with the group (rangefinders), this one has been left behind in my opinion.

Are there any good rangefinders out there that I won't need to sell a kidney to acquire?

Don't almost all courses have prisms? I can't remember the last course I played that didn't have them.

Most do, but not all. But I will say there is more to it. I use my rangefinder for distances all over the course. In fact I use it for that much more than I do for the flagstick.

Are there any good rangefinders out there that I won't need to sell a kidney to acquire?

Cost is something that I cant assist with because everybody's budget is different. I know THP just ran a contest for the new Bushnell Pro edition.

I will agree that the precision required by target golf may be a little over the top for this model. Generally I take a few readings on a non-prism target to ensure I'm getting an accurate reading.

Cost is something that I cant assist with because everybody's budget is different. I know THP just ran a contest for the new Bushnell Pro edition.

Thanks. I entered it last week. I was thinking under $300 preferably.

Edit:Unless I am lucky enough to win, of course!

Last edited:
I use the White Magic when the courses have the prisms or if I want to know the distance to edge or bunker, water, etc. Otherwise it usually just stays in the pouch hanging from my bag if the course has GPS on the carts. I am not that good to need exact distances to flags, front/middle/back is all I need. But for around $125 I think the White Magic is a steal.

Back