Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

Does anyone else feel like they hit these TOO long? (And no this is not a brag post...)

Like today I was 180 out and I hit a 7 iron over the green. The. Dropped another one cause I was curious and hit an 8 iron over the green as well.

i hit a 4 iron 245 yesterday..

still shot a 75 today (short game was on fire tonight with all those slightly missed greens)

But i feel like I might have to bend these 2 degrees weak. I hit the dead straight just really far and it is messing up my gaps

i did however hit a 3/4 PW about 130 into a strong wind, downhill for my first ace tonight!

Does anyone else feel like they hit these TOO long? (And no this is not a brag post...)

Like today I was 180 out and I hit a 7 iron over the green. The. Dropped another one cause I was curious and hit an 8 iron over the green as well.

still shot a 75 today (short game was on fire tonight with all those slightly missed greens)

But i feel like I might have to bend these 2 degrees weak. I hit the dead straight just really far and it is messing up my gaps

i did however hit a 3/4 PW about 130 into a strong wind, downhill for my first ace tonight!

Congrats on the ace!

I hit mine about the same distance as my Ping i20s, both of which I feel like are long. It took me a little while to get the distances figured out, but once I did, I've found them to be very predictable.

Congrats on your ace, dude!

And just wanted to check in on this thread and say a big thank you to everyone for their awesome reviews and input... especially Mward, rtparty, Tadashi70, etc... because it was this thread that introduced me to THP and all of this awesomeness. Heck I've even picked up a few tips from reading the different posts that have already helped my putting and short game. Just little reminders of things I knew to do, but had let bad habits creep in and I got away from without even knowing it until reading through different forum posts. Single digits may yet be here again sooner than I think.

Thanks again guys for all your time and input on the reviews. Don't know if I'll end up gaming the Apex Pro's, but I'm definitely going to give them a look.

And just wanted to check in on this thread and say a big thank you to everyone for their awesome reviews and input... especially Mward, rtparty, Tadashi70, etc... because it was this thread that introduced me to THP and all of this awesomeness. Heck I've even picked up a few tips from reading the different posts that have already helped my putting and short game. Just little reminders of things I knew to do, but had let bad habits creep in and I got away from without even knowing it until reading through different forum posts. Single digits may yet be here again sooner than I think.

Thanks again guys for all your time and input on the reviews. Don't know if I'll end up gaming the Apex Pro's, but I'm definitely going to give them a look.

They are. Great set of irons and the hguys you mentioned are top notch. I shot my all-time low round with the Apex pros today. So much forgiveness that you don't even see.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

They are. Great set of irons and the hguys you mentioned are top notch. I shot my all-time low round with the Apex pros today. So much forgiveness that you don't even see.

Congrats on the personal achievement.

And I appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback. I'm really liking what I see Callaway producing and where they seem to be going... definitely leaning their way at this point.

Keep up the good work and hope your next round is lower yet.

Ordered mine on Wednesday!!!
Went to a full fitting (my first) Have been playing my TM R-7s since I bought them new in 07 and I like them fine but wanted to know if I was properly fit and if there was anything better. I had been pondering and hitting many clubs lately and the only Cally I hit that I liked was the X2hot - I didn't even look at these because I didn't think I was a good enough player. I was leaning toward Mizunos JPX 825's or the EZ forged. After talking and hitting a few with the pro he gave me three clubs to try. A TM tour preferred which felt heavy but good and solid, better than my current set. Then the Apex which I liked but almost felt a little hollow? to me. Flew good but just a different feel maybe not as powerful. Last I hit the Apex pro with the KBS shaft and WOW. I was looking at this smallish head and thinking no way but it was easy. I kept hitting all three but kept gravitating to the pros. FWIW I just started lessons (a first as well) and am now 3 in, with 3 to go and was gonna wait to buy anything but pro said if your going to pull the trigger on something do it and then we will learn with those. Handicap has dropped from 15 to 11 in last year and goal is 9 by the end of summer. Excited to get them!! got 4-GW and am wondering what everyone uses as a sand and lob with these? I have Cleveland 588's w no complaints now?

I am playing off a 9 at the moment and absolutely love my Apex Pros. I have 5-A and play Vokeys SM4 wedges 56 & 60.
Cheers.

Last edited:
cool!! I get mine in a few days - gonna leave my 50 at home since I will have the A wedge and see how my 56 and 61 blend with the set - I hated how my old R-7s were lighter than the wedges, made it tough to transition

Give the Mack Daddy 2 wedges a look. I played Vokeys for years, but switched to MD2's this year. I would never go back!

Those do look really nice :in-love:

Now that I've got my shoulder back to full strength and my yardages down I am having a blast with these irons. Such a good ball striking day - I absolutely love the distance and trajectory control I have with these.

mine should be here this week!! Super excited right now :blob:
The order is taking a week longer because Cally says the demand is so high..

So ive played 7 rounds with these irons and my ball striking has never looked and felt so good. Callaway soft stepped my clubs, so I strengthened the lofts a little and now the ball flight is perfect. I was able to hita 9i 120yds into a 30 mph wind. Amazing balance and feel like it's just point amd shoot.

The only negative I have about these is the finish. The brusehd look is nice but shows everything.

Got the clubs today!
I do have a question about the Lamkin grips that came with them. These are the stock Lamkin Crossline with the grey butt.
I ordered MIDSIZE but these do not indicate midsize anywhere and feel small. Can anyone help me determine if these are too small? No markings?? Beautiful clubs in hand just felt weird to my hand as I am used to Golf Pride Tour Wraps (and don't use a glove) TIA

Spoke with pro I ordered from today. He said the stock grips do not come in midsize but they tried to build em up with tape. I told him they felt small to me so he is going to see what he can do.
Did I mention I LOVE THESE CLUBS?!

Spoke with pro I ordered from today. He said the stock grips do not come in midsize but they tried to build em up with tape. I told him they felt small to me so he is going to see what he can do.
Did I mention I LOVE THESE CLUBS?!

Hopefully he can get it straightened out for you. The Apex Pros are great clubs--I've loved mine from day one.

The Apex Pros are great clubs--I've loved mine from day one.

I have as well. Now that I have got more comfortable with them I am so confident with hitting any shot. I might have to put these up for just a bit until my replacement 8i comes in.

I have as well. Now that I have got more comfortable with them I am so confident with hitting any shot. I might have to put these up for just a bit until my replacement 8i comes in.

What happened to the 8 iron?

I'm interested in some new irons and after reading the posts regarding the Apex Pro and the newer technology in golf clubs, I decided to give them a try. I currently play Callaway X14 Pro. They have been really good to me, so I've had no reason to change them out. My favorite clubs are 9 and PW. I can really control the ball and attack the flags with my short irons.

I started my search with Callaway. After all, I've had a lot of success with them.

After warming up with my 9I, I hit an Apex Pro 6I (stock demo) with KBS 110-S Shaft for about 40 minutes on Trackman. It was my first session on Trackman and, WOW... I was overwhelmed (data overload)!

The average results looked good to me, but.... I noticed that I was being punished for mis-hits (which was about a third of my shots). Shots off the toe would sometimes penalize me by as much as 20yds. On the flip side, I was greatly rewarded for good contact. My instructor was curious about the sweet spot, so we put on some impact tape to compare sweet-spot shots vs off-center shots. When hitting the sweet spot... one word... AMAZING. I hit a total of 10 shots with the tape on. Eight shots with sweet spot strikes (2 shots were about 1/2" towards the toe and were deleted). I was carrying the ball 187 to 194 yds (with my highest roll out to 209). All 8 shots were left of the target line by no more than 11 yds. I just stared at the numbers... speechless. Possibly the tightest dispersion that I've ever seen for me, with a 6I.

X14 Pro 6I
Avg Results:
SS - 89 mph
Carry - 162
Distance - 175

Apex Pro 6I
Avg Results:
SS - 88 mph
Carry - 173 yd
Distance - 183 yd

Conclusion: I am not quite ready for these clubs. I am concerned about the misses and the Mrs. (when she sees the credit card statement:nono:). I may have been spoiled by the forgiveness of the cavity backs in the X14 Pros and have to work on hitting the sweet spot. On the other hand, I may have to get these in the bag so that I CAN work on my swing consistency.

BTW, for my next Trackman session, my instructor says he'll try to get the Apex (regular) with the Recoil F4 shaft. :fingers-crossed:
Also, forgot to mention these clubs are beautiful.

Great stuff. I enjoy the Apex with recoils quite a bit.

I've been playing KZG irons for the last 10 years which I've been pretty happy with.

But I will probably be getting a new set of clubs after this golf season. I think my age is catching up to me (I'm 56). I've played stiff shafted graphites but last time I had my fittings checked - my swing speed put me right on the edge of needing regular flex (and that was 6 yrs ago). I'm heading down to a week long golf school in October where as part of the school they will do a detailed analysis and fitting and then can custom order clubs for me (and they do work with Callaway)

So I've been reading this thread and seeing all the good feedback here and am now getting excited.....so my question is:

Will these Apex Pro's be a good fit for a guy like me who is a mid-handicapper (12-15) who is happy with straight shots and not really into "working" the ball.

The golf school will have a lot of clubs for me to demo, but I'd like to have some preferences before I arrive.

What do you guys think?

The Apex Pros are tremendous irons. My question to you would be that if you prefer the straight shot, is there a reason not to consider the regular Apex? I have both here and enjoy both, but definitely love the total package of the Apex irons.

The Apex Pros are tremendous irons. My question to you would be that if you prefer the straight shot, is there a reason not to consider the regular Apex? I have both here and enjoy both, but definitely love the total package of the Apex irons.

If I like irons, I tend to keep them for a while - and maybe some day I may want to work the ball.

Having said that, are the Apex Pro's too much club for my current skill level?

What do the Apex Pro's offer that the regular Apex do not (or vice versa...)?

Back