Shortening a driver - swing weight question

yahtzee

Novice
Reaction score
I play a SLDR 12* with AD-DI6 at 45"....I believe the SW when it was cut down ended up at D6....To me, it feels heavy...If I were to shorten it it would feel heavier, right? How do I fix this or does a few pts make that much difference?

Shortening it will reduce the swingweight. You could also put weight at the top of the shaft to reduce swingweight further.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree, I believe the shorter length would slightly lighten the swing weight

Ok, great....will maybe go to 44 3/4" as I am hopeful to get better contact with a shorter driver.

I shortened my driver 1/2 inch and really couldn't tell the difference in weight. I know I made better contact so I think it is well worth it.

I shortened my driver 3/4" or 1" and it decreased swing weight. The difference in swing weight is noticeable but not a big deal for me. I find it more comfortable to swing and didn't lose yardage by shortening it.

I'm currently playing my driver at 46" and choking down to 45.5 and I love it. I'm driving the ball longer and straighter than ever before. It's amazing what confidence with a club can do for your game. Just might take the plunge and cut the 1/2" and then weight the tip a bit to keep that SW the same.

I'm currently playing my driver at 46" and choking down to 45.5 and I love it. I'm driving the ball longer and straighter than ever before. It's amazing what confidence with a club can do for your game. Just might take the plunge and cut the 1/2" and then weight the tip a bit to keep that SW the same.
Do you weight the tip with lead tape?

Every inch you cut off takes off 6 swingweight points. So cutting half an inch would take off 3 and make your driver go from D6 to D3.

Ok, great....will maybe go to 44 3/4" as I am hopeful to get better contact with a shorter driver.

I'm at 44.75 and love it. I'm also 5'9" tall.

I shortened my driver 1/2 inch and really couldn't tell the difference in weight. I know I made better contact so I think it is well worth it.

I butt trimmed mine 1.25 inches and can not feel the difference in SW. It is all about being able to "feel" the head and I can still feel it during the swing.

Back