Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get under 100. Bit of a long ways off still. I've only played 10 rounds total since I started playing late last year. Played 2, 9 hole outings in the past week and shot 60 and 59 respectively. The week before I played 18 holes and shot 124 (YIKES). I have found that I really need to put the driver away and stick to my 4 wood off the tee for now, I've gotten too many penalty strokes for bad drives. In addition, my putting needs some serious improvement. I tend to overshoot and start playing tennis with the ball around the whole which really adds to my scores.

On a positive note, I had two birdie chances today, both of which I squandered lol.

Sounds like you've got a great mindset. Best of luck, you'll get there..

Thanks! I'm trying to be honest with myself when I'm playing and opt for more conservative shots for now. The area where I DEFINITELY have improve is my mid-irons (GW-6 iron) and my chipping. I have my iron distances down really well and have hit myself out of some really crappy drives. Quite frankly I'm at the point where I need some lessons for my drives, and just need to get out more and play. I feel like every time I have been out, I have improved a bit, which is always a good thing.

Thanks! I'm trying to be honest with myself when I'm playing and opt for more conservative shots for now. The area where I DEFINITELY have improve is my mid-irons (GW-6 iron) and my chipping. I have my iron distances down really well and have hit myself out of some really crappy drives. Quite frankly I'm at the point where I need some lessons for my drives, and just need to get out more and play. I feel like every time I have been out, I have improved a bit, which is always a good thing.
Yep, it sounds like it's going in the right direction.
Best wishes with the lessons, I need some with my short game which is killing me at the moment..
wish I could chip and putt like Steve Stricker. Lol

53/46 for a 99. A very ugly 99 at that. Four three putts and a four putt on the front. Guess it's not wise to bring out an untested putter with you for a round. 23 total putts on the front. Was striking my irons well, so felt confident going into the back. 4/7 FIR was nice as well. Topped a couple of FW shots on the par 5s which resulted in snowmen. Told myself I was going to turn it around on the back and I did. No blowup holes, everything was either par, bogey, or double bogey. 16 putts total on the back with one three putt on 18, but I had switched back to my regular gamer. 18 was almost a chip in for birdie (ball rolled over the cup) so not pleased with how I ended the round, but pleased with the score. Had two penalties on the back, so by my count I easily left at least 8 strokes on the course today ... maybe more.

Was choppy off the tee, but irons were good today. More practice and I think I turn the corner and stay below 100 for good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops ... Posted on the other thread .. Here is a recap ... 95 ... Just punched drives out into the fairway, then hit irons on to the green ... Hit 68% of fairways, just really short ... Putted really good with1.84

had a trouble with a couple of par 5's trying to hit it "far" and chunked or topped the ball ... Resulting in two 8's ...

Mid-short Irons did well for me, just need to work getting out of the tee box with at least 200 yards for a drive ... I am just tense in the tee box and try not to hit in bad spots rather than focusing on hitting a good spot ...

Shot 100 today on a much tougher course than my home course. Uneven fairways, big breaks on greens, elevated tees and greens and hazards to carry on every hole. Big challenge. Mid irons and wedges were awesome. Didn't miss a green inside 120. 10 of 14 fir's with the driver. (Excited with that). Putting awful, 44 putts. I need more putting practice, gotta read breaks better. Easily cost me 10 strokes. Overall very happy with my ball striking.

I just got back from Myrtle Beach. I played decent considering it was a heavy drinking adventure. Shot a 98 at world tour on the champ/open loop. Got rained out at Myrtlewood, had a 50 on the front. Wheels came off a bit at Arrowhead on the Lakes/Waterway loop, I shot a scrambling 49 on the front then imploded on the back for a 104. A lot of fun and I look forward to going back sometime.

Shot 100 today on a much tougher course than my home course. Uneven fairways, big breaks on greens, elevated tees and greens and hazards to carry on every hole. Big challenge. Mid irons and wedges were awesome. Didn't miss a green inside 120. 10 of 14 fir's with the driver. (Excited with that). Putting awful, 44 putts. I need more putting practice, gotta read breaks better. Easily cost me 10 strokes. Overall very happy with my ball striking.
well done. Sort the short game and your scores should really see some improvement...

Hey guys!

Yesterday I shot a 43 on a 9-hole executive course (par = 33). Aside from my meltdown on the 8th hole, it was a fantastic outing!

bogey - bogey - par - par - bogey - double - bogey - 8 - par

About me: I'm 24, and just started playing golf in January (taking lessons). I currently don't play a driver, but I hit an 18 degree hybrid off the tee, which gets me about 210 yards (and absolutely crushed one about 240 with carry yesterday!). My biggest issue right now is short chips with my wedges; I either hit them thin and sail the green, or leave it short because I'm scared about hitting them thin.

My previous best on this course was a 49, so I was really excited. I mainly play the executive course because I've been playing alone, but I'm hoping that I can break 100 on my next full round.

Hey guys!

Yesterday I shot a 43 on a 9-hole executive course (par = 33). Aside from my meltdown on the 8th hole, it was a fantastic outing!

bogey - bogey - par - par - bogey - double - bogey - 8 - par

About me: I'm 24, and just started playing golf in January (taking lessons). I currently don't play a driver, but I hit an 18 degree hybrid off the tee, which gets me about 210 yards (and absolutely crushed one about 240 with carry yesterday!). My biggest issue right now is short chips with my wedges; I either hit them thin and sail the green, or leave it short because I'm scared about hitting them thin.

My previous best on this course was a 49, so I was really excited. I mainly play the executive course because I've been playing alone, but I'm hoping that I can break 100 on my next full round.

Very well done. Glad to hear you are having lessons. Enjoy..

Very well done. Glad to hear you are having lessons. Enjoy..

Thanks! They've truly helped a ton.

The highlight of my day was on the second hole, a 381 yard par 4. I hooked the tee shot left into the woods, surely lost. Frustrated, I gritted my teeth and hit a second tee shot 220 right in the center of the fairway. I followed it up a a 6-iron shot that landed a foot from the hole, which I tapped in to salvage a bogey. (Odd for the best hole of a round to be a bogey, but I was pumped!)

Thanks! They've truly helped a ton.

The highlight of my day was on the second hole, a 381 yard par 4. I hooked the tee shot left into the woods, surely lost. Frustrated, I gritted my teeth and hit a second tee shot 220 right in the center of the fairway. I followed it up a a 6-iron shot that landed a foot from the hole, which I tapped in to salvage a bogey. (Odd for the best hole of a round to be a bogey, but I was pumped!)

Ive always found that it's how many bad shots I hit that makes the difference for me, rather than how many good ones. Of course others will be different. But if you can hit a drive and 6 iron like that, with a bit more consistency I hope your scores come down quick...

Ive always found that it's how many bad shots I hit that makes the difference for me, rather than how many good ones. Of course others will be different. But if you can hit a drive and 6 iron like that, with a bit more consistency I hope your scores come down quick...

Haha unfortunately there's a big difference between what I can hit, and what I can hit consistently. I just happened to hit 2 great shots in a row, albeit after a bad one.

Played 9 holes today on the real course and shot a 50. I was actually +7 after 3 holes, but gritted my teeth and bogeyed the next 5 straight. Going to play 18 tomorrow and hopefully report back something below 100!

Last edited:
Way to buckle down. That is big improvement. Congrats.

Played this morning and shot a 91. 45/46 started off with a double and quad, no warm up. Ended up with two doubles, no breakfast. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it haha. Had three pars and a birdie. Three putted twice.

I am happy to report that my playing has improved to the point that I will be reading and picking up in the breaking 90 thread.
I appreciate the help and insight this thread has offered.

Good luck to everyone! I will be checking in from time to time!

CJ

Played 18 yesterday; not my best effort. 50/54 for a 104. Putting was poor, and I played the par 3's poorly. 8/14 FW, 1/18 GIR and 34 putts. 4 penalties all on the back 9 were ugly. I did drive the ball better so that was encouraging.

I've been golfing seriously for about 9 months now. I have seen my "good" round scores drop from the 120 area to 105 area. My goal is to consistently break 100. I've broken 100 twice in my past 12 rounds (99 and 97), but I have been all over the place. Sometimes I can drive the ball well. Sometimes i can hit my irons. I get betrayed in a major way by one part of my game in each above 100 round. Trying to practice more and play less to groove my iron play.

I took 2 lessons and have been incorporating swing changes. I think I have moved too fast. It seems that my old bad habits creep back during my rounds. Unfortunately, I never notice until after the round and I view a swing that a friend has recorded. ARGH!!!

I'm hoping to use this thread as motivation to keep practicing and hopefully I am able to use the break 90 thread by the end of the season (November time frame)

Last 12 rounds (from April 23 to June 7):
46 (9 holes, +10 over par)
88 (par 62 course, +26 over par)

After coming close on my last round with a 106, I broke 100 for the first time today!

45/48 for a 93!

Had a few blowup holes to kick off the back 9 but I rebounded with a few pars to keep it together. Pretty excited now lets go USA!

After coming close on my last round with a 106, I broke 100 for the first time today!

45/48 for a 93!

Had a few blowup holes to kick off the back 9 but I rebounded with a few pars to keep it together. Pretty excited now lets go USA!

Congrats!!! What do you think you did different?

45/48 for a 93!

Had a few blowup holes to kick off the back 9 but I rebounded with a few pars to keep it together.

Now that's how you break 100 for the first time. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was only able to play 9 the other day, and I wouldn't have made it (shot a 52). But man did it feel good.

It was a serious, serious improvement over where I used to be, and this was my first time out this summer (work, school, yada yada).

I normally drive 225-240—the other day I had two drives of 275-280 that found the fairway. Felt incredible. Also had more quality, higher arching iron shots and my first putt attempt with the new putter—12 feet, drilled.

I gave it away on a par-5. Not a bad drive, little right, but I was on a hill and it took me three shots to get out. I then I had to pitch out and three-putted (didn't mind this one, hole was tough, we all three-putted). So that's 3-4 strokes on that hole I simply gave away.

For me, it's good. Hope to have better news soon! Thanks for all the tips guys.

I feel like I'm knocking on the door to the 90's. In four rounds this season I've shot under 110 in all four. This last Sunday I finished the front 9 at even 50 with one blowup hole that included two OB's and a three putt. 56 on the back nine due to poor chipping and two OB tee shots. Gonna put in some short game practice this week and attack it again next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! What do you think you did different?

Confidence! I had been striking the ball really well lately and I just felt calm and collected walking up to the first tee.

I only lost 1 ball off the tee, and made great contact on all my second shots. Sure I didn't get many GIRs, but when you're just trying to play bogey golf, it's pretty huge to be just off the green after 2 shots on a par 4. Thankfully I was able to par a few to make up for a few blowup holes.

Speaking of blowups, I thought the day was ruined on the back 9 after I went double-triple-double-triple on holes 11-14. But I calmed down and realized I was getting away from my backswing, swaying instead of turning. Once I got that sorted out I got back to my bogey ways and hit pars on 17 and 18. In previous rounds I would've given up and said "oh well, another round ruined," but instead I kept telling myself "you can do this. figure it out." This recovery was probably the part of my round I was most proud of.

been reading through some of the older posts on this thread, from when I was posting here regularly. It's very impressive to see how so many people have improved significantly over the past 6 months! It's also a bit demoralizing to realize that I've been shooting low 90s scores regularly for about 4 months, with only a couple of recent dips into the 80s. Even though my own game has improved by great strides on many fronts, the scores just aren't dropping as fast as the improvements should seemingly justify. I think I'm edging closer to being in the 80s on a regular basis, but IMO it is good to look back a few months and realize that improvement comes in many forms that aren't readily apparent on the scorecard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back