Lessons, Practice, Equipment - How Do They Rank in the #JourneyToBetter?

Proper practice from taking lessons or finding another way to do learn. There is no way I would have improved and no way anyone gets lucky to shoot a new PB that is 11 strokes better than their last with out proper practice and I learned what to practice to get better through lessons. I am not playing a club fit to me except driver so I have adjusted my game to the equipment I am playing.

Good question here.

Having gone the routes of not taking lessons and trying myself, taking lessons with moderate practice and taking lessons with a bunch of practice, I'd say it works like this for me:

30% Lessons
50% Practice
20% Equipment

Lessons have increased my knowledge of what I should be doing vs what I do in a huge way. Tons of practice has helped me train my body to sort of do the right things, but experience has shown me that I did a whole bunch of wrong things without the lessons.

Equipment is important too. No matter what, I still have a driver profile that works best for me and without it my misses are far worse. I still have a putter that I am most comfortable with and use the best. Could go on, but you get the point.

for me lessons- 45, practice 50, equipment 5. In the past 4 years, I spent 5 hours on lessons and many more than 5 hours practicing, but lessons gave me a baseline of what to practice on and what things to look for in my swing, and what i want my future swing to look like. Without the lessons, my practice would be meaningless. I gave equipment 5 because unless you're playing some really ho-dunk bobo counterfeit equipment i think any modern club will give you similar results.

Practicing and drills = 90% (be sure to devote more practice time to short game to see quickest improvement)
Equipment = 10%

Practice: 50% Range time, getting on the course, chipping and putting on the practice green, getting comfortable with making your swing happen under a lot of different circumstances.
Lessons 30% Making your swing better and more consistent, learning the adjustments you can make, and occasionally getting dialed back in after your zero drifts a bit.
Equipment 20% Once you've done the first two, getting the optimal equipment to take advantage of your swing.

Lessons - 50% Without lessons everything else is pointless. I would never have been able to practice efficiently, or with a purpose.
Practice - 40% Got to put what you learned in your instruction to work!
Equipment - 10% Because it all needs to add up to 100%. I think current equipment is so good, that just getting a good fit will work complement the game but won't make or break it.

I'm fairly close to your percentages. Having Freddie point out some of my flaws has helped a lot, but getting out and getting reps to be consistent has helped even more. Equipment is a much smaller part especially since I haven't changed a ton yet.

if i go by my golf game as how i got to where i am now it would be way off. i have been constantly improving since i started taking golf serious about 4 1/2 years ago.
its been practice 60% play 30% and equipment 10% mosltly just seeing what works for me and building on it all by feel.

For me it 60% lessons and 40% Practice. I recently made a trip and played with a friends clubs and shot the same or slightly better than usual for me. But more practice and coaching can take you to the next level.

I feel it is 50% Lessons, 35% Practice and 15% Equipment. You have to know what you are doing and then apply it on a daily basis. I feel equipment has gotten to the point where you can get away with a little more than in years past

Back