Freddie Please Help w/My Driver Swing

sparksjr

Reaction score
Handicap
Traveling
Freddie...one quick video of my putting and you had me all squared away. I'm hoping for similar success with this video. The more I see pictures and videos of my swing the more uncomfortable I look. Believe it or not I was hitting really good drives today but I am still inconsistent. There were a couple fades and hooks/pulls in these sequences and this is the best I could do by myself trying to video my swing.

What I have been working on is a wide base in order to help with my balance. I also flare my right foot out to help with a shoulder turn (I am not very flexible). The only other thoughts are to have a loose grip, try to keep my elbow tucked on the downswing and try to emphasize holding my follow thru.

I have no idea if I am accomplishing any of this and thats why I need your help! I am sure I am doing 100 things wrong and any pointers/drills you can give me are much appreciated. I am also not very knowledgeable with golf/swing terms so you may have to dummy it down for me.

Thank you in advance!

Here is what I like; your tempo and weight transfer. These two must stay in place and I promise more consistent tee shots.

What at I want to see you change is your posture. You stand very erect at address. I'd like to see you bend at the waist and allow the arms to hang under the shoulders. I'd also like to see that left arm strait at address. From the shoulder to club head I'd like to see a straight line or as straight as you can get.

These are two of the major flaws I see. Once these are implemented I will be able to clearly see any other small changes that are needed. But if you stay with you tempo and weight transfer and these two changes I feel you will improve and start hitting more fairways.

Are your misses left? Your swing plane is fairly flat which isn't always a bad thing depending on what type of shot you're going for. My 2 cents ....but your tempo is right on tap bro.

Are your misses left? Your swing plane is fairly flat which isn't always a bad thing depending on what type of shot you're going for. My 2 cents ....but your tempo is right on tap bro.

Yeah my big miss is typically left with an occasional push right when I get lazy/tired.

Thanks for the input guys, I will post up a pic of a new stance at address and make sure that's what you are looking for.

Is this any better?

nu4uhade.jpg

yquqesa6.jpg

Sorry for tapatalk pics.

I also want to learn more why and how as it relates to the golf swing so that one day I don't have to ask for stuff to get dumbed down. Can you tell me what being too upright is causing or preventing just for my understanding?

By standing to tall you limit the path the club can travel along. in order to get the club to the top you either have to take it way outside and up or around you body (flat swing plane). By bending at the waist like you have in the above the picture you have given your arms room to swing back and get the club more on an upright plane. This position also allows you to swing the club on a slight inside to out swing path. Basically you have created space between your body and your arms.

If you ever get a chance to see Henrick Stenson's stance with driver and where he bends both at knees and waist it is almost picture perfect. I try to emulate it but come nowhere near to that of Henricks posture.....I've had too many surgeries so I try to get comfortable without allowing it to force bad habits.

Freddie Please Help w/My Driver Swing

Thanks. I will look up some pics of his address on the tee box.

I believe I am so upright due to this thought of trying to keep my spine straight and really all I am doing is standing more upright, lol.

You are built a lot like JB Holmes. Look at his setup and how the waist bend and knee flex allows him to swing through and down the line. Also look at how it is maintained.....

feb_jbswings01_600x600_0_zpsb5e7b648.jpg

feb_jbswings05_600x600_0_zpsd1b4e617.jpg

This pick is a front view and a good one to immolate

ilar01_onething_zps129d182f.jpg

The line from the shoulder isn't perfectly straight but its close

Thanks. I see what you are saying about the left arm. I guess that is achieved with a little spine tilt...one of many things I tend to forget to do.

UPDATE:

I just so happened to get a GoPro for my birthday and I took it with me to the course today as I worked on what you have noted above Freddie. I can't quite get the left arm straight thing down just yet but I think I am making progress on not being so upright at my address. I worked on this with my irons today as well and it also helped there. Here are a few swings from today, it was a good day off the tee as I hit 8 fairways and it could have easily been 10 if it weren't for two drives that just rolled out into the first cut about 2 ft each.

Let me know what you think and any more pointers would be appreciated! Thanks again for your help!

Much better posture, good job. No we just need to add more power and leverage into your swing.

UPDATE:

I just so happened to get a GoPro for my birthday and I took it with me to the course today as I worked on what you have noted above Freddie. I can't quite get the left arm straight thing down just yet but I think I am making progress on not being so upright at my address. I worked on this with my irons today as well and it also helped there. Here are a few swings from today, it was a good day off the tee as I hit 8 fairways and it could have easily been 10 if it weren't for two drives that just rolled out into the first cut about 2 ft each.

Let me know what you think and any more pointers would be appreciated! Thanks again for your help!

Gotta love the go pro!

swing your swing

Much better posture, good job. No we just need to add more power and leverage into your swing.

Thank you sir! I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Back