TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Does anyone know if the stock non tp shaft in the mini with regular flex is nearly as good as the adila tour blue? I have a couple of x2hot woods and those shafts are great. I am a low ball hitter so I need as much height as I can.
I want to get the mini driver but I wonder whther to get the tp version and install the tour blue or leave it as is. I have a SS of 98 with a normal driver and shots tend to draw low with most clubs.
Opinions are highly appreciated!

The tour Blue in the X2Hot is also a made for shaft but really depends on the golfer

I put a Tour Green 75X in mine today and it really brought the spin rate and LA down to where i wanted it hit quite a few nice shots today avg about 245 per drive with it and dead straight

I put a Tour Green 75X in mine today and it really brought the spin rate and LA down to where i wanted it hit quite a few nice shots today avg about 245 per drive with it and dead straight

Is that any further than before? I already hit straight, I want it go further, ie as far as I hit the 3deep.

Has any average golfer (meaning mid handicapper with sub 100ss and average strengh) hit both the mini and the 3 deep? What were your thoughts? If I understood correctly the 3deep is a pro head just larger. If that is the case, then it is probably less forgiving than the mini. Any thoughts are appreciated. By the way, one of my favourite fairway wood ever isbthe original rbz which has a 200cc and is pretty deep. I could even hit it from the fairway without problems (and I am a pretty bad player).

Has any average golfer (meaning mid handicapper with sub 100ss and average strengh) hit both the mini and the 3 deep? What were your thoughts? If I understood correctly the 3deep is a pro head just larger. If that is the case, then it is probably less forgiving than the mini. Any thoughts are appreciated. By the way, one of my favourite fairway wood ever isbthe original rbz which has a 200cc and is pretty deep. I could even hit it from the fairway without problems (and I am a pretty bad player).

Definitely less forgiving. The sldr is so forgiving it isn't funny.

If you can't the sldr mini, you probably shouldn't be playing a fairway wood. As I mentioned previously, a guy that hits the centre of the club most of the time should go the 3 deep.

Definitely less forgiving. The sldr is so forgiving it isn't funny.

If you can't the sldr mini, you probably shouldn't be playing a fairway wood. As I mentioned previously, a guy that hits the centre of the club most of the time should go the 3 deep.

The SLDR is forgiving? In which regard?

The SLDR is forgiving? In which regard?

You can hit that thing all over the face and get a decent result, I have hit some absolutely horrific shots that have turned out ok. I haven't hit the driver or fairway in the sldr but there is no way the mini is low spin (IMO)

You can hit that thing all over the face and get a decent result, I have hit some absolutely horrific shots that have turned out ok. I haven't hit the driver or fairway in the sldr but there is no way the mini is low spin (IMO)

Oh ok, you were talking about the Mini. I thought you were referring to the regular SLDR driver.

Oh ok, you were talking about the Mini. I thought you were referring to the regular SLDR driver.

It is the mini thread :)

I think that is a big part of the reason I am annoyed. When your advertising bangs on about forward cor and low spin, it pisses people off when it doesn't perform as such (spins like a top). My tm purge has already begun, tour preferred x box gone back and have some sr2. The new adidas media top I bought has been swapped for a nike one. Just need a new cart bag (a shiny new mizzie one has caught my eye)

Back OT, if it performs better with the aldila I might keep it as it looks amazing..

Now that I've had it a few weeks and gotten used to it and have a correct size grip on it. It would be interesting to compare shafts in it, I launch this one fairly high using the 12* TP. I feel there is more I can get out of this with a different shaft. I like the feel and weight of this TP Speeder 77, what other shafts would be similar but would lower the ball flight but maintaining the same characteristics?

Is that any further than before? I already hit straight, I want it go further, ie as far as I hit the 3deep.

I already had the TP shaft in mine so the main difference is the spin rate is lower and it rolls out more i gained 10-15 yards.
With the TP shaft i had some ballooning on shots where i want a mid low flight not a mid-high
As for you being able to hit it further that is some thing you might have to play around with i don't no your swing to say for sure

I was surprised at how small the face on this thing was. Not that it was a bad thing, but just wasn't what I expected. I love the head size of this thing, and would love to get more swings with it at some point.

I played my first round with the 14 degree mini driver today. Hit some really nice drives, and had some pushes. Once I get the timing down this will be a really nice addition to to my golf bag. Also hit it from some high dry rough on a par 5 second shot. It had a low boring flight, and went straight.

It reminds me of an "old school" 2-wood. The shaft length is about the same, as is the size of the head. Its way more forgiving though.

Tried the 14* with the stiff stock (the only one there) on range at a TM demo day. Also tried the sldr driver in 10.5 and 12 stiff stalk. I found the mini much easier to control as my driver swing is not that reliable (also the rubber tees were too high to be fair to the drivers). I could also hit this well off the deck (shorter than off the tee but straight). I was also getting much better roll forward with the mini. Its longer and straighter than my current r flex driver which is on the way out anyway.

It is surprising how many people are having success off the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the speeder 77 3w shaft in my R1 and have been using that the last 2 days. I am getting better distance with the R1 but I feel like I can control the mini better. Have another speeder shaft coming to put into my R9 460 to experiment with. Glad these shafts are only $12 on eBay lol, darn adapters cost more than the shafts do. Wish they would have kept them all the same.

Forgot to mention. I don't carry fairways because I get to much fade/slice and not enough launch. I was able to launch the mini off the deck and pretty straight. Anyone try it off wet fairways?

Put the speeder 77 3w shaft into my R9, omg I wish I would have gone to a shorter shaft earlier. I'm not taking the mini out of the bag, think I'm going R9 with the speeder 3w shaft it plays at 8.5*, mini at 12*, 3w SLDR at 17* then altitudes 4 and 5 irons. Gives me good separation on that side of the bag. I like the mini on the shorter holes where it leaves me with 9-GW and will use the R9 on longer holes to try and keep me with 7i or less into greens.

Put the speeder 77 3w shaft into my R9, omg I wish I would have gone to a shorter shaft earlier. I'm not taking the mini out of the bag, think I'm going R9 with the speeder 3w shaft it plays at 8.5*, mini at 12*, 3w SLDR at 17* then altitudes 4 and 5 irons. Gives me good separation on that side of the bag. I like the mini on the shorter holes where it leaves me with 9-GW and will use the R9 on longer holes to try and keep me with 7i or less into greens.
The SLDR 17* seems to make a good complement to the Mini plus they can be had for a good price

Hit this extensively again today. I think tm must have a lot of the hats with 17 on them and they are going to embroider a - in front of the 17. Becauae there advertising should be "at least 17 yards shorter than your current 3 wood"

Today was the ususal story of hitting one in the screws and expecting it to end in a certain spot and be disappointed when I got to the ball. I don't think I have ever hit a club that a mishit goes pretty much as far as a centre hit. It is so disappointing, looks so good, performs in such average fashion. It's kind of like one of those kit cars from the 80/90's, looks good on the outside but with a shitbox engine and no performance. Hopefully my big bertha arrives soon.

Hit this extensively again today. I think tm must have a lot of the hats with 17 on them and they are going to embroider a - in front of the 17. Becauae there advertising should be "at least 17 yards shorter than your current 3 wood"

Today was the ususal story of hitting one in the screws and expecting it to end in a certain spot and be disappointed when I got to the ball. I don't think I have ever hit a club that a mishit goes pretty much as far as a centre hit. It is so disappointing, looks so good, performs in such average fashion. It's kind of like one of those kit cars from the 80/90's, looks good on the outside but with a shitbox engine and no performance. Hopefully my big bertha arrives soon.

Have you put it on a moniter yet i found that the stock shaft and the TP shaft both spun to much for me the switching to the Tour Green helped a ton

Sorry guys, can someone quickly confirm, .335 will fit? I have the TP version if that makes a difference?

Sorry guys, can someone quickly confirm, .335 will fit? I have the TP version if that makes a difference?
Yes the TP bore is .335 i changed the shaft on mine last week

Yes the TP bore is .335 i changed the shaft on mine last week
wow that was a quick reply! thanks man, gonna try the tour green I think, I am spinning and hitting it to high right now, something needs to change! any other shafts anyone has had some decent success with?

wow that was a quick reply! thanks man, gonna try the tour green I think, I am spinning and hitting it to high right now, something needs to change! any other shafts anyone has had some decent success with?

I choose the same shaft for the same reasons you are thinking about it my other choice was a 7m3 if the tour green does not work that will be my next stop

Back