Trying to Break 80 Club

I'd go with 44 and 79 :) You played 18 consecutive holes in sub 80. Makes no difference that you played 9 before that.

Agreed. Id do the same thing

Yeah guess I'd do that too if it weren't that I walked the 85 with the same guy and followed it up with 9 holes with another. Just feels odd.
Anyway: I know I tend to break 80 so I'm not that upset. Just need to do some qualifying cards soon to get my handicap down. :)

I have a question for the forum -
When trying to shoot scores under 80, do you ever think about the round in terms of six 3-hole groupings? I heard somewhere, not recently, that a nice way to aim for sub-80 rounds is to play three holes in 13 strokes or fewer, with 13 being the goal. Then, at the end of your round, 6x13 = 78.
Sure, some courses have easier stretches, while other courses are not set up for that (par 5-4-5, for example).
Do you think it matters? Or do you just try to play and not even worry about your totals until the end?
Thanks.

Well I broke 80 for the second time in my life. I played 27 holes and shot a 45+39+40. So my last 18 was a 79 ?.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I have a question for the forum -
When trying to shoot scores under 80, do you ever think about the round in terms of six 3-hole groupings? I heard somewhere, not recently, that a nice way to aim for sub-80 rounds is to play three holes in 13 strokes or fewer, with 13 being the goal. Then, at the end of your round, 6x13 = 78.
Sure, some courses have easier stretches, while other courses are not set up for that (par 5-4-5, for example).
Do you think it matters? Or do you just try to play and not even worry about your totals until the end?
Thanks.
Actually I've found that when I play with people I don't know that I tend to work shot-to-shot and doing so gives me the best end results. So I try not to think of more then "this shot and where to put it".

I've been training myself in letting everything go between shots. I make jokes with the people in my flight, we laugh, we dance, we skip or whatever makes us happy. When I get to my ball it takes me about 45-60 seconds of concentration and then it's all about the fun in the flight again. :)

Played 54 holes this weekend including 36 today. 83, 83, 85 for the weekend. The magic from last weekend's back to back 79s is gone at the moment. Swing plane is off with the irons (at least I think that's the issue) and they were very inconsistent this weekend.

On a side note, missed a hole in one by 3 inches this afternoon.

Actually I've found that when I play with people I don't know that I tend to work shot-to-shot and doing so gives me the best end results. So I try not to think of more then "this shot and where to put it".

I've been training myself in letting everything go between shots. I make jokes with the people in my flight, we laugh, we dance, we skip or whatever makes us happy. When I get to my ball it takes me about 45-60 seconds of concentration and then it's all about the fun in the flight again. :)

I agree 100%, I feel I play my best golf when I have the music going and I'm not thinking about golf.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I been shooting solidly in the 80's so far, but I can't seem to get it any lower. However, I don't feel too bad about it because I haven't played the same course twice while out in AZ, and most of them are brand new to me. I always seem to have that hole or two where one bad shot turns into double/triple bogey, and there go my hopes of a sub-80 round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I been shooting solidly in the 80's so far, but I can't seem to get it any lower. However, I don't feel too bad about it because I haven't played the same course twice while out in AZ, and most of them are brand new to me. I always seem to have that hole or two where one bad shot turns into double/triple bogey, and there go my hopes of a sub-80 round.
So you're a travelling player then? It's quite a bit harder to play low scores on tracks you're not familiar with :)

I played a 39 yesterday on the harder of the two loops. Hit one in the water for a double, missed a put for par and shanked one out of a bunker.. Still made bogey. Had an incredible sandshot a few holes later to give me birdie. Played well considering the weather and being soaking wet :)

So yeah I shot a 77 today. In a match, lots of pressure.. Feel my round was crap though I did shoot two birdies and an eagle.
Handicap down from 11.2 to 10.6 :)

Two guys in the flight:
10.9 handicap shot 90
15 handicap shot 88

40/38 - 78 today for my 3rd sub 80 in two weeks and 4th ever. Crazy thing about today was that it was very dull. Driver was ok, irons were bleh, putter was decent and it all added up to 12 pars and 6 bogeys. lol I was so disappointed in the way I was hitting the irons that I had no idea sub 80 was even a possibility til I looked at the total after walking off the 18th.

For years I could not break the 80 barrier then somehow managed a 74 out of nowhere ten years ago. It is such a mental thing. Once I did it my next three rounds were 79! It's amazing how once you break 80, the challenge doesn't seem so daunting when you are +6 or +7 standing on the 17 tee.

Once again, I had three blow-up holes that got me...two doubles & one triple. Shot an 83 which could easily have been a sub-80. Oh well, I'll try again on Tuesday!

Shot 82 today on a course I never played. Hit the ball solid off the tee and with the irons. There were a few blind shots, which caused a lost ball because I needed to layup instead of hitting my best drive of the day!!!

Overall I had 10 pars 2 doubles and 6 bogeys. 10/14 on fairways and 9/18 on greens. I need to work on getting up and down instead of getting up and 2 putting.

I feel the 70's are right around the corner and it is just a matter of playing a few more rounds. Now I need to schedule the time!

For years I could not break the 80 barrier then somehow managed a 74 out of nowhere ten years ago. It is such a mental thing. Once I did it my next three rounds were 79! It's amazing how once you break 80, the challenge doesn't seem so daunting when you are +6 or +7 sta nding on the 17 tee.

So true!

40/41 today to just miss my 4th sub 80 in two weeks. With some good play to start the back nine I was 3 over standing on the 14th tee, and then I wasted it. Despite perfect drives on 14-17, I went bogey, double, double, bogey - UGH! Kept missing greens in places you can't miss even though I was coming in from 90-105 yds. Crazy, crazy game!

76 this morning. Then 39 on 9 later in the evening, actually +4 thru 12 before it got dark. Ny 3rd round sub 80. Looking to stay here consistently

My last round I thought I had it, I was at 75 on the 18th tee hit a bomb down the middle sitting 150 yds out hit a 8I and duff it 20 yds in front me, go to the ball hit a 9I and the ball goes over the green so I chip and two putt for a 81, nothing more frustration then blowing up on the 18th hole and the course I was playing the best I had shot there was a 85 so I was upset after I walked off the green but sorta happy I shot my best score at this course.

After shooting 44 on the front 9, I pretty much gave up any hope of breaking 80 today. Naturally, I ended up with a 38 on the back 9, leaving me at 82. Only one double bogey today, but I just couldn't get my putter going.

76 this morning. Then 39 on 9 later in the evening, actually +4 thru 12 before it got dark. Ny 3rd round sub 80. Looking to stay here consistently

Congrats! I'm in the same boat with a few recent sub 80s making me greedy to spend more time in this range!

39/39 today for a 4th sub 80 this season (5th ever). I'm feeling it and can't wait to play again :D

Finally did it yesterday. Shot an 80 on Sunday and knew I had left some strokes on the course. Went out and played 36 yesterday and shot a 79 and then a whopping 73. Hopefully I can keep it in the 70's or at least close from now on.

I swear I'm going to get here this season, im so freaking close!!! Had a bunch of rounds under 85 and my best 9 hole of 40 but I keep losing stokes to my short game. I just need to really work on it. Too many fat or thin wedges from around the greens and my putting isn't very good. I've been solid off the tee and my approaches are mostly good with my misses being close. Really need a short game lesson I think, hoping to get dialed in and break that barrier.

Haven't been on here in awhile. My high school golf team went to state a few weeks ago and on the first day I shot 78! The best score of any practice or official round that I've ever had! I would write a whole paragraph about it but I don't have the desire right now. Anyway, I'm really excited about it and hopefully the future holds lower scores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's been a very good year for me on the golf course. I have set new personal bests 3 times so far. In fact 2 of my best 3 all time scores have been in my last 5 rounds. Finally got sub-80 this past Saturday with a 79.

It's been a very good year for me on the golf course. I have set new personal bests 3 times so far. In fact 2 of my best 3 all time scores have been in my last 5 rounds. Finally got sub-80 this past Saturday with a 79.

NICE! Congrats dude!

Congrats, well done.

Congrats! Sounds like you're playing really solid golf.

Back