Getting irons lengthened/adjusted after buying?

z33tec

Reaction score
Handicap
I see lots of great deals online for irons, but I'm currently playing with irons that were made with an extra inch or so of length. Do people who buy iron sets online go and get them fit to them after the fact? I can see cutting an iron down, but wasn't sure if they could be lengthened if needed. I'm currently using a set of clones that a local guy built for me but would love to pick up a set of name brand irons if I see a good deal.

I think most people don't get fit to begin with and don't do any adjusting after they purchase. It can be done though.

I think there are lots of people who don't get fit and play off the rack there are also others who know there specs and have the irons adjusted to meet there specs

I see lots of great deals online for irons, but I'm currently playing with irons that were made with an extra inch or so of length. Do people who buy iron sets online go and get them fit to them after the fact? I can see cutting an iron down, but wasn't sure if they could be lengthened if needed. I'm currently using a set of clones that a local guy built for me but would love to pick up a set of name brand irons if I see a good deal.

I have had a couple of sets lengthened using epoxied-in extensions. That might work fine for you, but if you go see a good fitter he will likely advise you to cut down raw shafts to your specific length. I also use oversize grips, and the extra weight of the grips plus the extensions does change the swingweight and potentially the flex points as well. If you're willing to use year-old heads you could pretty easily build a set to your exact specs with the shafts you want (without extensions) for about the same price as a new set off the rack. You can probably also squeeze a fitting into that same budget.

Back