What should my next purchase be?

Rock28

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently bought some used x-22 irons and I love them. They feel great and have been very consistent. I have a 5-A wedge. I also have a older callaway driver and a very old callaway 3 wood.

I want a new driver but I am hitting the one I have pretty good.

I want a new putter but my putting has never been better than it has been the last 2 rounds.

Same problem with the 3 wood, sure it is a 12 year old club but it almost never fails me.

Where I need some help is in the 195-225 range. I never had a 4 iron or a hybrid. What are the benefits to a hybrid and how long can I expect to hit it. My 5 iron is 185-190 when I hit it good. Sometimes off the Tee I will hit it 220 if I really swing hard.

If you are in Philadelphia there must be big box stores that you can go to and demo some hybrids. I am guessing a 4H will fit your gap perfectly.

If you have a used shop around you, the a Cleveland Mashie Hybrid can be found cheap and I am loving more than any hybrid I ever hit before this one--I have the 83 gram shaft and the heavy shaft has kept this one from spraying around like other light clubs. If you want to go new the 588 Hybrid line rocks as well as a little more forgiveness but similar club.

FW or hybrid at 20 - 21 degrees IMO

There are a lot of variables that go into your question. Personally, I really enjoy hybrids and I have more confidence with them when compared to a 3 or 4 iron. On the contrary, some people can't stand hybrids. You just need to go test some stuff out and find what you are comfortable with. I would also say you should try and get your distances down a little better. a 5-iron between 185-220 is a very large gap. I understand that one distance is off of a tee but 35 yards is huge.

There are a lot of variables that go into your question. Personally, I really enjoy hybrids and I have more confidence with them when compared to a 3 or 4 iron. On the contrary, some people can't stand hybrids. You just need to go test some stuff out and find what you are comfortable with. I would also say you should try and get your distances down a little better. a 5-iron between 185-220 is a very large gap. I understand that one distance is off of a tee but 35 yards is huge.

I have hit some hybrids into a net and they feel good, never had the chance to take one to an outside range or the course.

My 5 iron only goes 220 off the tee and when I put the ball back in my stance. I also take a huge swing, not a controlled swing I usually try from the fairway. I don't want to take that swing anymore as I lose control.

Does a a hybrid typically take the 5 wood out of the bag?

I have hit some hybrids into a net and they feel good, never had the chance to take one to an outside range or the course.

My 5 iron only goes 220 off the tee and when I put the ball back in my stance. I also take a huge swing, not a controlled swing I usually try from the fairway. I don't want to take that swing anymore as I lose control.

Everyone is a little different but I will be carrying two hybrids and I will have a 3/4 hybrid that will mostly see use off of the tee. I'm confident off the deck with both hybrids which is a big reason I decided to switch to two hybrids.

Really individual there--for some the 2 hybrid is the 5 wood distance. So if you have room you could carry both with a 3 or 4 Hybrid and a 5 wood.

Back