Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
During league tonight the group in front of us had sort of a weird thing almost happen. And it had me thinking of what the proper ruling would have been if it had happened.

One of the guys in the group ahead of us sliced his tee shot. And it landed on the next green of the next hole. They were on hole 11 and it landed on hole 12 green. What is the ruling if it had went into the hole on the next green. You know, a hole in one on the wrong green.

It had me thinking about it. So, I thought I would ask my THP brethren. Thanks in advance for the proper ruling.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

25-3. Wrong Putting Green a. Interference Interference by a wrong putting green occurs when a ball is on the wrong putting green. Interference to a player's stance or the area of his intended swing is not, of itself, interference under this Rule. b. Relief If a player's ball lies on a wrong putting green, he must not play the ball as it lies. He must take relief, without penalty, as follows: The player must lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When dropping the ball within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the wrong putting green and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule.

During league tonight the group in front of us had sort of a weird thing almost happen. And it had me thinking of what the proper ruling would have been if it had happened.

One of the guys in the group ahead of us sliced his tee shot. And it landed on the next green of the next hole. They were on hole 11 and it landed on hole 12 green. What is the ruling if it had went into the hole on the next green. You know, a hole in one on the wrong green.

It had me thinking about it. So, I thought I would ask my THP brethren. Thanks in advance for the proper ruling.

I believe the post above me is correct but out of curiosity how close was his ball to going in the hole?

I believe the post above me is correct but out of curiosity how close was his ball to going in the hole?

From what was said after league in the clubhouse, about 1 foot. Pretty close for a miss hit :banghead:

From what was said after league in the clubhouse, about 1 foot. Pretty close for a miss hit :banghead:

That sounds like one of the most incredible accidental shots ever.

Being that it is lifted and can be cleaned and dropped without penalty, it being holed out on the wrong green is only relevant at the 19th hole. That is, over post-round beers.

Rules question.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My dad tells me stories of playing Dub's Dread in KC many years ago. Apparently in those days each green had 2 holes cut in it, but only one flagstick. The practice was to putt out, and then move the flag to the other hole. I guess the idea was to reduce traffic around any particular spot on the green. The result, of course, was dozens of tales from players where they made a hole in one in the wrong hole.

One little addition - Relief is for the ball only in this circumstance. Almost every other relief situation you take relief for the ball and stance but in this case your stance can still be on the putting green. As for it being holed that only applies to the hole being played. Therefore you would place the ball on the lip as near as possible to where it would have entered the hole, then you would determine Nearest Possible Relief and proceed.

Last edited:
My dad tells me stories of playing Dub's Dread in KC many years ago. Apparently in those days each green had 2 holes cut in it, but only one flagstick. The practice was to putt out, and then move the flag to the other hole. I guess the idea was to reduce traffic around any particular spot on the green. The result, of course, was dozens of tales from players where they made a hole in one in the wrong hole.

At least one of our five courses does that for winter play, so they don't have to cut holes every day when the ground is hard. Never heard of a course doing that as a normal thing, though anything is possible.

Back