2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

Duf hits it to 10 ft and watches it roll off the green. I'd say lots of bad words playing this course.

I still think #2 is all about the green complexes. I have played it several times before the restoration, and found the greens to be the real challenge of playing that course well.

Oh no doubt you are right. For us mortals they are a definite challenge. I think the rain has taken the fire and subtle breaks out a lot of them for the pros. That said I'm sure I'd still rack up many 3 putts. Also the collection areas are a piece of cake for them (for the most part) but are a real challenge for most of us.

They must be "longer cut" as well as the balls aren't rolling all the way down them. Most are stopping after just a few feet.

Duf hits it to 10 ft and watches it roll off the green. I'd say lots of bad words playing this course.
Like Curtis Strange said yesterday during the broadcast after a guy hit the pin sending the ball off the far side of the green into a bunker, "That's why we curse."

2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

Great Scott !!

Last edited:
Man what a mistake by Mahan

Don't get me wrong. I would play it. Just that at times I watch tournaments and think man I'd love to get out on that course. This just isn't giving me that feeling right now.

I would play it. But I really liked the look of Olympic and Merion more.

Oh no doubt you are right. For us mortals they are a definite challenge. I think the rain has taken the fire and subtle breaks out a lot of them for the pros. That said I'm sure I'd still rack up many 3 putts. Also the collection areas are a piece of cake for them (for the most part) but are a real challenge for most of us.

They must be "longer cut" as well as the balls aren't rolling all the way down them. Most are stopping after just a few feet.

I love what they did around the greens as well, I like the shaved areas and how the ball will now roll away and collect in the low spots. I thought the course before the restoration looked rather ordinary and was like so many other Carolina courses.

I love what they did around the greens as well, I like the shaved areas and how the ball will now roll away and collect in the low spots. I thought the course before the restoration looked rather ordinary and was like so many other Carolina courses.

Can't disagree with that statement at all.

Good video from the Pinehurst superintendent on what they had to do to get the golf course ready after the rains this morning. Most news outlets were saying that the course got 2/3 of an inch of rain, but he says that they got 1 inch of rain in 30 minutes last night.

[video=youtube;DII-RflFZ1A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DII-RflFZ1A[/video]

Good video from the Pinehurst superintendent on what they had to do to get the golf course ready after the rains this morning. Most news outlets were saying that the course got 2/3 of an inch of rain, but he says that they got 1 inch of rain in 30 minutes last night.

[video=youtube;DII-RflFZ1A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DII-RflFZ1A[/video]

Locally, some spots got over an inch of rain, the same possibility exists for tonight as well.

i like the changes i have seen, it's something different, and back closer to what it was.

I do miss seeing the rough. That wispy, deep Bermuda rough looks really nice, and the ball sits down in it every time. It's fun watching the pros struggle out of that stuff.

The natural area is more of a crap shoot on the lie. But if the lie is decent these guys are getting on the green.

and if you're Hunter.... you tell your caddy....

fired1.jpg

Kaymer looks like he he might not be caught

I do miss seeing the rough. That wispy, deep Bermuda rough looks really nice, and the ball sits down in it every time. It's fun watching the pros struggle out of that stuff.

The natural area is more of a crap shoot on the lie. But if the lie is decent these guys are getting on the green.

My old home course UNC Finley had the deepest Bermuda rough in the area that I could remember. You could see exactly where your ball went then be 5 feet from it and not able to find it.

Kaymer pulling driver on 3 trying to drive the green

My old home course UNC Finley had the deepest Bermuda rough in the area that I could remember. You could see exactly where your ball went then be 5 feet from it and not able to find it.

There are a couple courses in NW Atlanta that have similar rough. Brutal stuff. You'll miss the fairway by a foot and lose your ball.

i understand that as well, puts a premium on getting it in the fairways. One thing i would like to know is how long the rough areas have had to grow, and if they will toughen up in let's say 2-3 years

Kaymer with a great shoot Drives the green

Sergio got harassed, heckled....why doesn't Bradley? Hate watching this field-goal kicker preshot routine.

i understand that as well, puts a premium on getting it in the fairways. One thing i would like to know is how long the rough areas have had to grow, and if they will toughen up in let's say 2-3 years

Those sandy areas will definitely grow in a bit over the next several years, if they play the Open at #2 10 years from now, it will play much harder.

Back