Question on Matrix 6M3 Black Tie

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking at a driver that has a Matrix 6M3 Black Tie stiff shaft in it and am wondering about the launch of the shaft. I can't test this because I am looking at taking a flyer on a used club on eBay.

The club I am looking at has a 10.5 Degree head and the Black Tie Shaft.

I currently game a 9.5 Degree Cleveland TL 310 (which is stock 2 degrees open) with the stock Miyazaki C. Kua 59g stiff shaft.

I am wondering if I can expect similar ball flights (height wise)? Not sure if the Black Tie is a lot lower launching shaft compared to what I have now. I am wondering if the 10.5 degree head and potential lower flighted shaft will be equal to what I have now?

Thanks for the input!!

Part of it will depend on what head it is in.
If the head is of similar design, then the Black Tie could in fact launch lower and play both stiffer and heavier.

I am looking at the Cleveland Classic XL Custom

Part of it will depend on what head it is in.
If the head is of similar design, then the Black Tie could in fact launch lower and play both stiffer and heavier.

Sorry meant to reply directly to you. The head is a the Cleveland Classic XL Custom in 10.5 degree

It really will depend then. Similar spin in the two heads, but the Black Tie is going to be stiffer overall and more tip stiff. In theory that should lead to lower launch, but the biggest difference is going to be the feel.

I would imagine in the same head but higher loft the _M3 will launch higher than the 9.5 but the feel is stout

It really will depend then. Similar spin in the two heads, but the Black Tie is going to be stiffer overall and more tip stiff. In theory that should lead to lower launch, but the biggest difference is going to be the feel.

Is there a place to find spin in club heads? I have thought about this but never really searched for it.

This may sound odd but the only time I can really tell a difference in shaft "feel" is when the tip is active. As tips get more stiff I really can't feel too much difference overall or as some people say the shaft loading, etc.

Not sure what the means.

If the heads have similar spin but the driver with the Black Tie has 10.5 loft and the C Kua has 9.5 loft....you don't think those almost match to about the same flight?

Is there a place to find spin in club heads? I have thought about this but never really searched for it.

This may sound odd but the only time I can really tell a difference in shaft "feel" is when the tip is active. As tips get more stiff I really can't feel too much difference overall or as some people say the shaft loading, etc.

Not sure what the means.

If the heads have similar spin but the driver with the Black Tie has 10.5 loft and the C Kua has 9.5 loft....you don't think those almost match to about the same flight?

Its very possible it could. I find the Black Tie to be one of the few shafts out there that can noticeably move a ball lower for quite a few people as it is quite stout. I also found the 310 to spin a bit less than the XL Custom (in my limited testing).

THe best way to check spin is to hit heads on a launch monitor and compare or come out to a THP Event and jump on the launch monitor on the range with others.

Its very possible it could. I find the Black Tie to be one of the few shafts out there that can noticeably move a ball lower for quite a few people as it is quite stout. I also found the 310 to spin a bit less than the XL Custom (in my limited testing).

THe best way to check spin is to hit heads on a launch monitor and compare or come out to a THP Event and jump on the launch monitor on the range with others.

Hmmm Ok. I was looking for something comparable to my Cleveland TL 310 but where I can take some of the opened faced out. I have fixed my swing some and at times now 2 degrees open is a little too much.

Have you happened to hit the Adams Fast 12 LS with the Fubuki 60? I got that club looking for the same thing and we did not get a long at all. I was just wondering if the Cleveland Classic XL Custom with Black Tie might be similar to the Adams Fast 12 LS?

Thanks

Hmmm Ok. I was looking for something comparable to my Cleveland TL 310 but where I can take some of the opened faced out. I have fixed my swing some and at times now 2 degrees open is a little too much.

Have you happened to hit the Adams Fast 12 LS with the Fubuki 60? I got that club looking for the same thing and we did not get a long at all. I was just wondering if the Cleveland Classic XL Custom with Black Tie might be similar to the Adams Fast 12 LS?

Thanks

I think you might like the Custom. You may just love the 588 driver.

I think you might like the Custom. You may just love the 588 driver.
Yeah I think so too but I generally buy clubs a season or two after their prime to keep overall costs down and my wife off my back!!!! Plus I do have a club tinkering problem so I "test" a few quite often.. Although the TL 310 has had a good stay in my bag.

Sent from my Moto X

I recently upgraded to a used Classic custom with a Black Tie (came from an RBZ Stage2 stock stiff).

Anyways, I LOVE the black tie. It's lower launching and lower spinning, but I have enough ballspeed to make it work.

What I've found is that I was really try to "steer" my previous shaft because it was kicking on me a little bit and producing some spin and snapping left.

The black tie let me swing hard and be confident that the ball wouldn't spin up in the air and then turn left.

I recently upgraded to a used Classic custom with a Black Tie (came from an RBZ Stage2 stock stiff).

Anyways, I LOVE the black tie. It's lower launching and lower spinning, but I have enough ballspeed to make it work.

What I've found is that I was really try to "steer" my previous shaft because it was kicking on me a little bit and producing some spin and snapping left.

The black tie let me swing hard and be confident that the ball wouldn't spin up in the air and then turn left.

Well hopefully I have enough SS and Ballspeed to make this shaft work. I would have tried it but we really don't have many options around where I live so it would be hard just to find a club with a Black Tie that I could try.

Hoping the combo of more loft in the head and that shaft equal out.

Lower ball flight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 6m3 in my xhot driver head. And I can honestly tell you i don't think I will ever play another driver shaft. The thing is a beast and has complexly changed my game! Great shaft!

I have the 6m3 in my big bertha 10.5 and it couldn't be a better fit for me right now. ball flight is just amazing. i am a high hitter, so it helped bring it down a bit but it is still high and penetrating. amazing shaft.

7m3 lover here - lowered my ball flight and made my misses more playable. I love the stout feel too.

Well hopefully I have enough SS and Ballspeed to make this shaft work. I would have tried it but we really don't have many options around where I live so it would be hard just to find a club with a Black Tie that I could try.

Hoping the combo of more loft in the head and that shaft equal out.

You can find a used Classic Custom on ebay with a black tie for under $80.

If you use it and don't like it, you can always resell it. You'll lose some $ in the deal, but probably only like $20.

You can find a used Classic Custom on ebay with a black tie for under $80.

If you use it and don't like it, you can always resell it. You'll lose some $ in the deal, but probably only like $20.
That's exactly what I did. Got a Classic Custom in excellent condition with the Black Tie.

Should have it in tomorrow and can't wait to try it out

Sent from my Moto X

That's exactly what I did. Got a Classic Custom in excellent condition with the Black Tie.

Should have it in tomorrow and can't wait to try it out

Sent from my Moto X

You won't be disappointed!!!

I put a 7m3 in my rbz head this year. I have raised the loft 1.5 degrees and see a similar ball flight to what I had with the stock RBZ stiff shaft

Well I got my Cleveland Classic Custom with the Black Tie (6M3) in last night. Got to hit it on the range with a strong wind into my face a bit from the left. Hit some nice mid launch drives that had just a bit a cut on them. Not sure if was the wind or my swing but either way I will take it. I think I am going to like this set up once I get it out on the course.

Maybe I was expecting something much different but I don't think the shaft is too boardy or overly stiff at all. I was expecting something much more stout but I like it so far and seems like smooth loader.

Well I got my Cleveland Classic Custom with the Black Tie (6M3) in last night. Got to hit it on the range with a strong wind into my face a bit from the left. Hit some nice mid launch drives that had just a bit a cut on them. Not sure if was the wind or my swing but either way I will take it. I think I am going to like this set up once I get it out on the course.

Maybe I was expecting something much different but I don't think the shaft is too boardy or overly stiff at all. I was expecting something much more stout but I like it so far and seems like smooth loader.

Honestly, for all of the talk about the shaft being stiff or "boardy", I've never felt that.

Feels more solid than a low-kick shaft, but it's not like swinging a piece of rebar like some have said.

With this said, maybe the guys saying that are generating enough clubhead speed to get the shaft to flex at all.

Honestly, for all of the talk about the shaft being stiff or "boardy", I've never felt that.

Feels more solid than a low-kick shaft, but it's not like swinging a piece of rebar like some have said.

With this said, maybe the guys saying that are generating enough clubhead speed to get the shaft to flex at all.
Yeah it definitely wasn't what I was expecting after what I had heard and read. I actually think the C. Kua in my TL 310 feels more like rear than the black tie

Sent from my Moto X

Anyone know just how low this shaft launches? I am typically a high launch player and I got one of these in stiff flex (I normally play X, but it was given to me). Right now I am looking for a driver head. I currently play a MP-001 9* (highest loft I have ever played) paired with a Speeder 553 X flex. Not a bad combo, but I really have to tee the ball pretty low in order to not hit it in to space. I normally play 7.5-8.5 lofted heads. Would this shaft be too low launch for me?

Back