Can full tees be bad for iron shots?

I always use a broken tee when teeing off with anything other than my driver.

I will sometimes hit a pull or pull hook if I tee up anything shorter than about a 7i up too high.

Depending on the condition of the tee box I find it necessary to tee it up a little. If I tee it up I always use a broken tee found on the ground (if I dont have my own). At the moment I am using a broken tee which I hit a ball to within 2 foot, so its my lucky short tee for now.

If the ground is perfect I wont use one, but that is rare. Basically the tee is there just to lift the ball up a tiny bit from the ground.

I doubt there is any difference between using a full length tee and a short tee (or none).

Saying that, I doubt there is much difference between a normal tee and those super slick ones the long drive champions use. But they feel it makes a difference, so there must be something to the theory.

I only use full tees with my driver and if they snap i put them in my pocket for my 3 wood, hybrids and irons or i just use the broken tees found on the tee box for anything other than my driver. My thought is its a waste of tee so its more economical than science haha

Until I win more majors than Nicklaus, I think I'll take his advice.

Seconding the Epoch tees, love them! Still on the original package I bought at the beginning of the season (20+ rounds so far)

This is just my opinion and I only use tee's for my driver the reason is most courses have 4 par 3's that means that for four shots are going to be different than every other iron shot. I like to keep the consitancy with my clubs I find that with a tee I usualy blade it or hit it a little further than usual.

This is just my opinion and I only use tee's for my driver the reason is most courses have 4 par 3's that means that for four shots are going to be different than every other iron shot. I like to keep the consitancy with my clubs I find that with a tee I usualy blade it or hit it a little further than usual.

We had a big discussion about this at some point last year. I am in the minority big time, but I agree with you. I don't use tees for tee shots with irons. I only use them with my driver, 3 wood and hybrid. Most people don't agree but I feel better not using them with irons.

however, after reading the article, maybe ill start using one and teeing it higher up.....

Coolbreeze and Smallie should know I carry 3 1/4 tees by the gross. I can't be stopped when it comes to teeing the ball up.

I.CAN'T.BE.STOPPED.

Kevin

Coolbreeze and Smallie should know I carry 3 1/4 tees by the gross. I can't be stopped when it comes to teeing the ball up.

I.CAN'T.BE.STOPPED.

Kevin
We'll take your golf bag. That'll stop ya.

love using the short epoch tees for everything but a driver. I made the mistake of using the longer tees on a few par 3's and snapped them off.

Same here. Saves hunting around for a broken tee and they last forever.

I usually like to use the broken tees that I find on the tee box for my iron shots cause I do find it easier to use if I hit it wrong.

For as long as I can remember I haven't used a tee with an iron. I always make a short, steep chop at the ground with my iron which lifts up a small chunk of grass. I set the ball on this small elevated patch of grass and swing away. After my swing I step down on the small raised area and you barely notice i was even there. I've never seen anyone else do this. I've received a number of comments about it. Nothing negative.

Tee size for irons vs tees for driving!

Tee size for irons vs tees for driving!

I noticed today that if I use a 2 3/4 tee for a iron shot makes a short shot. I noticed it reduces the spin and overall distance. I broke the tee down to 2 and boom perfect. Also, if you as a 2 3/4 you will notice that the tee will not break or come out of the ground. The tee will be leaning towards the direction of swing and a small divot. Now this is for irons only.

For the driver, there are many variables - try a bunch an see what works for you. The ball should be about a little less than half the ball height above the top crown I the driver. I use a 2 3/4 tee and works great for the driver.

I was wondering today if there could be some science behind the use of short, broken tees when using irons. If I use a full size tee and have it almost all the way in the ground, wouldn't that slow down my club head considerably if I hit it a little fat? Conversely, if I used a broken tee and hit it fat, it would seem that the club head would pick it out of the ground a lot easier instead of getting hung up on it. Anyone have any expertise, ideas or even guesses about whether or not this could be a factor in leaving tee shots shorter than normal on par 3's?

No, because you are supposed to hit the ball first. It would be difficult to hit the tee first with any club except a very lofted wedge, and even then you'd almost have to playing as a flop to get the leading edge that far under the ball before contacting the ball. Once the ball starts on its way, anything the club hits is no longer relevant.

Edit: Guess I should look at the date before I reply to some of these. :banghead:

I don't think it makes a difference. Your club should strike the ball before it hits the tee.

Hmm interesting article, For irons I never really tried to tee it any height than just the tee head above the ground. For wedges on the rare very short par 3 I may not tee it up at all because I seem to prefer wedges off the turf with the way I hit them.

I don't think it does, but here's a solution:

THP epoch tees. They come with 30 long tees and 10 short tees... and if you can break a short tee, I'll rep the picture of it.

Challenge accepted!

I use a broken tee most of the time, so I have a ton of the short tees floating around in my bag. I always walk up to the teebox with one in my pocket, but can almost always find a broken off tee to use instead.

I've snapped off a couple of heads from the short epoch tees, but mostly on rather poorly stuck iron shots.

I'm trying to calculate the physics of how much resistance a tee in the ground would have to give to slow down an iron in full swing, and all I can say, is it would have to be a lot, and would require a poor enough shot that it wouldn't matter, IMO.

I wouldnt think it matters the size of the tee. If the ball is struck first shouldnt matter. However if a small tee works better for you then use one. Golf is funny like that

I'll use a broken tee if I can find one long enough, otherwise I'll use a non-broken tee and push it into the ground as necessary. I like to tee my irons a little higher than most (tee'd high enough to slide a finger between the ground and the top of the tee so probably about 1/2 - 1/4 inch).

Other than that, I really don't notice any difference in resistance between a full tee or a broken tee. A proper stroke should be hitting the ball first so even if there is a resistance from the tee, it's irrelevant to the outcome of the shot.

I would think that hitting the ball worse would only happen if you were flipping your wrists at it or hitting up at it too late in your swing. Other than tht the mistake was made before you ever got to the ball. I don't have huge swing speed but even with epoch tees I take their heads off with irons if I use a long tee.

I use a tee, usually a full length plastic tee, I like the Champ Fly Tee, I've used two so far this season. I usually have to pull it out of the ground after my tee shot since the divot starts after the tee.

Back