Need a higher ball flight

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been struggling so much with a low ball flight and lately it's frustrated me so much that now I am willing to start over and rebuild a swing that produces a higher ball flight. For example, my 5 deep is the only fairway I have in the bag because it's the lowest loft I can elevate and not kill gophers. Even my lob wedge swing doesn't produce a high up and down flight. Any tips or drills to help with this?

Get fitted and test some different shafts. That may be the most effective, but certainly not cheapest, fix.

Get fitted and test some different shafts. That may be the most effective, but certainly not cheapest, fix.

Ive already gone that route. Currently have UST RECOILS 680 and have used DG s300, DGTIS400, DGSL S300, project x 5.5 and Kbps tours. Nothing raised ball flight

I respectively disagree. I wouldn't go chasing results through equipment. It could help, but I think the money is better spent on a couple lessons with a pro.

Any idea where you catching the ball on the face?

Based on your post your issue is swing related. It sounds like your ball position might be off, you are catching the shots thin. And you could use some spin tilt. It also sounds like you not staying down and through your shots and may be hanging back a little.

I'd like you to experiment with ball position first. Moving it around in your stance and see what position gives you a high trajectory.

Also play around with various degrees of spin tilt. Setup to the ball and tilt your spin to the right or away from the target. This will insure a positive delivery into the ball.

Try these before you move into any other adjustments.

Any idea where you catching the ball on the face?

Sorry, Didn't get notice of a reply in the thread. So far, since I have been using tape to see impact point, most of the shots have been on the middle to toe area of the iron as well and middle to low area of club face.

Based on your post your issue is swing related. It sounds like your ball position might be off, you are catching the shots thin. And you could use some spin tilt. It also sounds like you not staying down and through your shots and may be hanging back a little.

I'd like you to experiment with ball position first. Moving it around in your stance and see what position gives you a high trajectory.

Also play around with various degrees of spin tilt. Setup to the ball and tilt your spin to the right or away from the target. This will insure a positive delivery into the ball.

Try these before you move into any other adjustments.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to the range after work so I will work on getting some feedback from the tips you offered and report back tonight.

Need a higher ball flight

I have/had the same problem. We haven't seen you swing but here is what I am doing. Fixed my posture and grip, including standing more strait (still athletic) with the ball closer and hands higher. My main problem is my hands are way ahead of the club at impact (this probably isn't the average fault). So I try to stay back a bit and keep the butt pointed at my belly button going into impact, this is really hard for me.

I've basically changed everything in the last month and I am hitting it higher. I didn't come up with any of these changes on my own, but with an experienced pro that understands that I have hit a lot of golf balls in my life. It can be a little hard to explain. Start with setup, it's the easiest way to see results without going crazy.

I've tried new equipment and fittings, I think the money is better spent on lessons.

Everyone is really different and what works for me might be a disaster for you, but there it is.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to the range after work so I will work on getting some feedback from the tips you offered and report back tonight.

Step a half inch closer to the ball tonight at the range. This will get you closer to center if the face and true trajectory

Try what Freddie suggest i bet it will help your flight out alot

I have/had the same problem. We haven't seen you swing but here is what I am doing. Fixed my posture and grip, including standing more strait (still athletic) with the ball closer and hands higher. My main problem is my hands are way ahead of the club at impact (this probably isn't the average fault). So I try to stay back a bit and keep the butt pointed at my belly button going into impact, this is really hard for me.

I've basically changed everything in the last month and I am hitting it higher. I didn't come up with any of these changes on my own, but with an experienced pro that understands that I have hit a lot of golf balls in my life. It can be a little hard to explain. Start with setup, it's the easiest way to see results without going crazy.

I've tried new equipment and fittings, I think the money is better spent on lessons.

Everyone is really different and what works for me might be a disaster for you, but there it is.

Right now, I do believe any little thing could help, but with a round at PGA west on wednesday I am thinking just trust what I have now and take the next couple months to ingrain a better posture and basic fundamentals.

Step a half inch closer to the ball tonight at the range. This will get you closer to center if the face and true trajectory

I am actually headed to my local Golf Mart at lunch to try and pick an Iphone snap cover to assist with taking DTL and face on video of my swing tonight. Hopefully they still have them in stock.

Right now, I do believe any little thing could help, but with a round at PGA west on wednesday I am thinking just trust what I have now and take the next couple months to ingrain a better posture and basic fundamentals.

Sounds like a good plan. I've been giving all changes 3 weeks, rather than moving from 1 change to the next at every range session. It's been working so well I may need to get a driver without so much loft, my current is 11.5.

Sounds like a good plan. I've been giving all changes 3 weeks, rather than moving from 1 change to the next at every range session. It's been working so well I may need to get a driver without so much loft, my current is 11.5.

I actually have an X2hot 10.5 set to N,S settings but I am thinking of going to +1, S settings soon.

I have had a low ball flight my whole life and have always hated it. I agree with Freddie's tips about standing closer the to the ball and hitting more down into with high hands in the backswing. This does produce higher ball flight for me, but I constantly struggle to do it and I'm nervous about "stepping closer". Instead, when I set-up, I address with the ball right up next to the hosel instead of trying to step an inch closer. Then when I take a regular swing, I catch it center face instead of toe-y. Works for me. Curiously, it works very well with my 3 - 7, not so good with the 8,9, and PW, but well again with the 50 and 55 degree wedges. Need more practice with those 8-PW I suppose.

But I'm also a believer in changing your equipment as well! They make high launching shafts and variable lofting clubs FOR A REASON. Some folks need to get the ball down, some need to get it up. I switched from regularly lofted fairway woods at about 15 and 19 degrees to a 3 and 5 that are HL designated clubs at 17 and 21 degrees respectively. This worked for me. The 3 wood gets off the deck normally now and the 5 wood almost even balloons, but it will go 230 and hit a green and stop, which I like. With my irons I selected notoriously high launching iron (Speedblades) and their high launching shaft option (85 gram) precisely to get the ball up. And it worked -- now I'm not "high", I'm just normal.

I have had a low ball flight my whole life and have always hated it. I agree with Freddie's tips about standing closer the to the ball and hitting more down into with high hands in the backswing. This does produce higher ball flight for me, but I constantly struggle to do it and I'm nervous about "stepping closer". Instead, when I set-up, I address with the ball right up next to the hosel instead of trying to step an inch closer. Then when I take a regular swing, I catch it center face instead of toe-y. Works for me. Curiously, it works very well with my 3 - 7, not so good with the 8,9, and PW, but well again with the 50 and 55 degree wedges. Need more practice with those 8-PW I suppose.

But I'm also a believer in changing your equipment as well! They make high launching shafts and variable lofting clubs FOR A REASON. Some folks need to get the ball down, some need to get it up. I switched from regularly lofted fairway woods at about 15 and 19 degrees to a 3 and 5 that are HL designated clubs at 17 and 21 degrees respectively. This worked for me. The 3 wood gets off the deck normally now and the 5 wood almost even balloons, but it will go 230 and hit a green and stop, which I like. With my irons I selected notoriously high launching iron (Speedblades) and their high launching shaft option (85 gram) precisely to get the ball up. And it worked -- now I'm not "high", I'm just normal.

I agree with what you say about clubs/shafts making a difference, but they only did so much for me and it wasn't enough.

I agree with what you say about clubs/shafts making a difference, but they only did so much for me and it wasn't enough.

One thing I forgot to mention, on the occasions when I let "normally flighted" playing partners hit my fwoods or irons, they almost always hit hit big balloons with them that fall out of the skies short, then they toss them back to me in disgust. Likewise I can't get their clubs off the deck.

With drivers however, I have no rule of thumb on loft needed to get the ball up. I've hit drivers all across the board from 8.5 to 12 and had success. Depends on the driver and the shaft.

Right now, it's almost a complete let down when I put the tee in the ground. My last two round were 73, 85 and it was like night and day. The 73 I was able to get off the tee consistently, with average length but more importantly with a controllable ball that I felt like I could put anywhere and get to the green on the next shot. The 85 was the opposite. I only hit 2 drives all day that I felt good about (nice height but also controlled distance and direction). The rest of the drives were pulled or thinned (which I believe will be addressed by Freddie's tips tonight). Even my normal "automatic" 5 deep was giving me trouble.

Back