Where to go from here?

tbanks5

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,

I posted this in the Parallel or Past Parallel thread, but wanted to get some tips from you on my swing.

I know my swing is extremely long IMO on the backswing and I'm working to shorten it. I also notice I regrip at the top of my backswing as well. Other things need work, but I mainly just want consistency. I've never been a long ball hitter and I'm not really focusing on tons of power. I would like to be a good ball striker....one day lol

Your thoughts....and please don't hold back....:bashful:

[video=youtube;Qri-2zn_7B8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qri-2zn_7B8[/video]

First reaction I would say is your take away and back swing. You are bringing it to the inside right off the get go putting your body in a situation where its only move is work in to out. Is your miss more to the right or left? Also not an expert by any means correct me if I am from there Tadashi.

Freddie will do you a lot more good than i, but I see a couple of things that I just got called out for in a lesson last week, e.g (and I quote) - 1) very upright, too little spine angle; 2) hands are in very tight and close to thighs; 3) pulling club inside at start of takeaway; As explained to me, this causes me to make adjustments that can result in being outside (or OTT) the ball at impact and also pulling up/out left shoulder to try to clear way and create room to swing thru, kinda like a shrug swing.
Of the above 3, the one that bugs me the most, and is giving me most trouble, is trying to lean forward more to create additional spine angle - I just feel really relaxed and comfortable in more upright position - I guess upright just creates angles that screw up my swing apparently.
good luck

7e3epuzy.jpg

Let's get the chest stuck out a bit and create some space between the thighs and hands. Get those shoulders back and extend the hands out maybe an inch. Let's get the club to the top with the shoulders and not just the arms. As of right now you are so far inside it is difficult to operate correctly back into the ball

If you maintain the triangle created with your arms until it gets past you right foot you will notice the club moves on what seem to be an outside path. Once the club head passes the right knee, the right arm should fold into a 90* angle of close to it as the shoulders complete the swing. The swing is complete once the left shoulder reaches the chin. By not breaking the wrist or drawing the club inside, you should have a shorter back swing.

uzydy6u9.jpg

Pay attention to you body angles, these are pretty damn good. Do not get away from this. The top part of this post will clear room for you to swing freely down the line or slight right of second base.

ega6aveb.jpg

Another great set of angles but this is where is stops.

ynady9up.jpg

I know a few dancers that would like to borrow this move from you. Because you sucked the club so far inside on the take away you are forced to do the Baryshnikov (up on your toes) at impact. It's important for you that we get the club in a good position moving back so that the through is solid. You do so much right in the middle and actually at the end but the beginning makes the end awkward. So let's create space in the beginning, keep them middle and the end should look for athletic than dance like.

Thanks for the instruction. Got lots of work to do, and I'm willing to work.

Is there a good drill for keeping my takeaway from moving toward the inside? I will agree with you that it feels very awkward to be more extended in my takeaway. Almost like I'm too far outside.

First reaction I would say is your take away and back swing. You are bringing it to the inside right off the get go putting your body in a situation where its only move is work in to out. Is your miss more to the right or left? Also not an expert by any means correct me if I am from there Tadashi.

My miss is almost always right. Only time I miss left is a straight pull in that direction.

OK I've been working hard. But still not making much progress. I seem to be striking the ball more consistently but I feel like I'm stuck.

I understand the takeaway is where it goes wrong for me. I try to keep it outside the line(if that makes sense) but I'm not feeling much change. I'm also trying to have a solid one piece takeaway but I can honestly say I have no clue whether mine is or not. It feels comfortable but I know it's wrong.

I've got less of a dip in the swing now and I've seemed to calm the dancing moves :) down at impact. The swing seems shortened a little and I try to turn when the shoulder gets to my chin. Please help. ...

Here are 2 more videos. Sorry on the quality and that one isn't directly in line with me (wife did the vids).

http://youtu.be/ZLxjcB8bBjo

http://youtu.be/oMvHONN-k5Q

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Can't view the videos

Videos are set on private, so we can't view them.

Sorry videos should be fixed now

Easier to just embed.....

[video=youtube_share;oMvHONN-k5Q]http://youtu.be/oMvHONN-k5Q [/video]

To me it still looks like your snatching the club to the inside. This is causing you to come over the top and produce more of a slice spin I would imagine.

Another night of practice and the swing just felt horrible. Every shot was near the heel of the club and in trying to have a more out to in swing I shanked my fair share of shots. Over the last few weeks I've worked extensively on a good takeaway. In the house I've been taking a club and (using the shoulders instead of the arms) trying to push a basketball straight back to promote a more solid takaway. Not sure if it's helping me.

I feel like my plane is a little better by these pictures but I'm still getting that fade trajectory and the occasional pull left. I can tell the difference because I don't feel as balanced on the follow thru.

uvetamyd.jpg

3aqude2e.jpg

Is there a swing thought I need to have to better the swing plane? I usually think hit the inside corner of the ball but it's clearly not happening. Is there any improvement?

Video http://youtu.be/Xz2cI59DJrI

Thanks for any feedback!

Your downswing is mine too. Been fighting it since May.
Looking at the last pic your downswing is half complete but your hips look like they have yet to turn. This is my problem also which is preventing the club head to lag behind. It beats the hips throughout the ball instead of lagging behind causing over the top. At impact my right hand squares the club up to prevent a slice but distance is very lacking. I'm hitting at the ball instead of through the ball.

I've been doing hip exercises where I'm focusing on twisting my hips and loosening up.
During practice I really narrow my stance which gets my hip turning. I make sure I turn back then turn through the ball. This causes me to turn and hit throughout the ball instead of hitting at the ball.
When I take a wide stance it is restricting my turn back and through the ball.
It was amazing that up until I started do hip exercise how I had limited rotation in my hips.

Just want to let you know you're not alone!

Please do not focus on your 'plane'. That is the least of your worries. We need to look at you weight transfer, downswing trigger and foot work.

You are so tense throughout your swing it's tough to swing properly. A good stance and posture are good but needs to have a level of comfort. You're all angles and as a result get out of position (reverse tilt") at the top of your back swing

The weight should move from left to right on the back swing. This is a haired by turning your upper body against a firm lower body. You have to get your chest over your right leg at the top of your swing. This can only be achieved by turning the shoulders against the lower body.

The down swing is started with the lower body, I stress started. The left hip starts the down swing and engages the shoulders which engage the arms and you swing through to your finish. This process will drop the club into a good delivery position and you won't have to 'try' to swing inside to out. Allow the larger muscle dictate the path of the club and allow the arms to swing the club.

The instep of your right foot should drive through the shot. Try to drive the right knee down toward the ball as you deliver the club head into the ball.

You seem to pop your head/body up on the downswing. I would try some %70 power swings instead of %110. Pick some specific shorter distance targets at the range when you practice using a more controlled less powerful swing. Sometimes changing to a more powerful grip can make the footwork easier to keep the swingpath straight.

You seem to pop your head/body up on the downswing. I would try some %70 power swings instead of %110. Pick some specific shorter distance targets at the range when you practice using a more controlled less powerful swing. Sometimes changing to a more powerful grip can make the footwork easier to keep the swingpath straight.

Please explain how swinging at 70% will fix the flaws in the swing. They will be there no matter what speed you swing. And please tell me how changing your grip effects your foot work.

Thanks for the swing tips Freddie. I honestly don't feel tense, if anything I sometimes feel like I'm gripping too hard. But I can see it clearly in the vid's. Almost like I'm trying too hard.

So I've read your other thread and people have their own views on things but I'm hoping you can clarify....

So the down swing and lower body should be one smooth motion of left hip moving toward the target and right knee driving toward the ball? Is that right?

the notion that the left hip moves toward the target is so over blown its not funny. the goal is clear the hips so that there is room to operate. or room to get stuck, like tiger. if the hips move toward the target you have no created space and have actually altered the swing path.

Most that 'bump' the hip toward the target tend to get way out in front of the ball and have to engage the hands to catch up, get stuck or come over the top in order to make contact. if the left hip moves off he lin, like someone is pulling you belt loop on your left hip. this not only gets the swing started but also creates room for you to swing down the line.

the goal in to get the hips pointed at the target after impact. most slide and end up with their hips poined right of the target which means you he either blocked it, come over top or come up and out of the swing. Either way he results will be suspect at best.

now all hat being said,for most there will be aslight bump left but that is just the wieght shift not the weight slide.

the notion that the left hip moves toward the target is so over blown its not funny. the goal is clear the hips so that there is room to operate. or room to get stuck, like tiger. if the hips move toward the target you have no created space and have actually altered the swing path.

Most that 'bump' the hip toward the target tend to get way out in front of the ball and have to engage the hands to catch up, get stuck or come over the top in order to make contact. if the left hip moves off he lin, like someone is pulling you belt loop on your left hip. this not only gets the swing started but also creates room for you to swing down the line.

the goal in to get the hips pointed at the target after impact. most slide and end up with their hips poined right of the target which means you he either blocked it, come over top or come up and out of the swing. Either way he results will be suspect at best.

now all hat being said,for most there will be aslight bump left but that is just the wieght shift not the weight slide.
Thanks for clarifying.

Back