Could you shoot better than 88?

I believe the last time the US Open was held there the amateur from the golf digest "Can they Break 100" challenge was an 8 handicap and shot 114. I remember reading him saying that the 60 friends and family following him was as challenging as the course. The celebs playing were all lower handicaps than him and didn't have as much issue with the crowd.

"The damage report: Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (whose handicap index is 2.2) shot a 13-over par 84; pop star Justin Timberlake (a 6.0) shot 98; Today Show host Matt Lauer (a 6.2) shot 100; and John Atkinson (an 8.1), who was chosen from a pool of 56,000 contest entrants nationwide, shot 114."

Romo could handle the course because he's a bomber and the length was no issue for him. But if the 6's are shooting 100 I don't have much faith in too many amateurs playing in the 80s.

I think I could break 100.... But other than that, no guarantees!

From The HTC One Blue!

The only 88 I'd be close to is how much I'd spend at the 19th hole to forget my score.

No. 7,500 yards is obscene.

Give me my tee it forward tees, and a nice rainfall, along with playing my best, I'm sure I'd have a shot like quite a few guys on here would..

But current conditions at that yardage is simply obscene.

No way on the 88. On a really good day i might break 100.

:laughing: Not this guy on that course with that length and those greens

Net or gross......................hell I know two guys that were good college players and would have trouble breaking 88 in those conditions.

I wouldn't even be close. Under those conditions and with those green complexes, I bet I wouldn't break 120.

I think I might try to send a text to a friend that played in the open and get his thoughts on if I could shoot an 88..

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

And their response was absolutely not..... He said the places the average golfer would miss would be impossible to get up and down from 90% of the time. He felt like he was literally inches from disaster every hole and it was probably his least fav tournament he has played in during his 4 year career

Give me my tee it forward tees, and a nice rainfall, along with playing my best, I'm sure I'd have a shot like quite a few guys on here would..

You're long enough to deal with 7,500. I don't think the length would be much of an issue.

The greens, however, would get interesting.

I'd really like to see some of the lower hdcps on here give it a go on that course in the current setup. I bet several would be under 88.

If it makes you feel better, it only played 7422 for the 3rd round when he shot that 88. 7349 yesterday.

I looked at his scorecard expecting to see a blowup hole where he knocked several out of bounds and ended up with a 12 or so...

But nope. He played it like the average hacker, 1 triple, a couple doubles, tons of bogies, and no birdies.

Maybe on my best day I could get close and have a shot, but as of right now...not a chance. I shot a 89 from the tips at the TPC Scottsdale, once, but let's be honest it wasn't in US Open conditions, not even close.

Length of the course doesn't concern me, it's the accuracy required and the greens that concern the heck out of me. It's got to be demoralizing to see your ball land a few feet away from the pin, only to have it catch the wrong ridge and roll off the green into a waste area or bunker.

I honestly have no clue what I'd shoot there.

You're long enough to deal with 7,500. I don't think the length would be much of an issue.

The greens, however, would get interesting.

I'd really like to see some of the lower hdcps on here give it a go on that course in the current setup. I bet several would be under 88.

That's a really nice compliment, but I don't think so. I have a hard enough time enjoying myself at 7,000 -- unless there is a mess of roll.

If it makes you feel better, it only played 7422 for the 3rd round when he shot that 88. 7349 yesterday.

In really not trying to be "Internet Golfer" here. But the length wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Having to hit a five square foot area on the green told hold it would be challenging, though, to say the least.

In really not trying to be "Internet Golfer" here. But the length wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Having to hit a five square foot area on the green told hold it would be challenging, though, to say the least.

I 100% agree I would not even think about the length it would be knowing how precise I had to be into every green that would get me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

This is what my buddy that played in it was talking about.
He said there was nothing more frustrating than a ball coming off the clubface and you knew if it wasn't exact that you had no chance

oh I agree. I bet I couldn't break 88 on that course from 6400 under those conditions. I was just posting that to Dan saying that 7500 was obscene. Trying to make him feel better about it.

oh I agree. I bet I couldn't break 88 on that course from 6400 under those conditions. I was just posting that to Dan saying that 7500 was obscene. Trying to make him feel better about it.
Haha there is no love for long irons into that type of green.

Here is a slight bit of an aside: So here is my question ... your average pro golfer is a what ... +8 or 9 HDCP? So if they'd give Dan a ten stroke head start, and he isn't even sure that he could play bogey golf in similar conditions as them (and he's probably only one of a couple here who would have even the remotest of shots of pulling it off) ... how does the handicap system work for such comparisons? Does it break down at the very bottom and very top of the scales? Or is it simply not designed to accommodate such comparisons?

This is what my buddy that played in it was talking about.
He said there was nothing more frustrating than a ball coming off the clubface and you knew if it wasn't exact that you had no chance

I didn't realize that Nicklaus assisted with the course redesign...

:Alien:

I saw that Toru Taniguchi shot an 88 at Pinehurst today in the US Open. If you were playing well, who thinks they could beat him?

I gave up on that dream just this year actually. I always wondered what would I shoot if I got the chance to play a PGA TOUR set up and I found out. I shot 99 from the tips on Torrey North the Monday after the Farmers. Just a different golf experience all together.

Here is a slight bit of an aside: So here is my question ... your average pro golfer is a what ... +8 or 9 HDCP? So if they'd give Dan a ten stroke head start, and he isn't even sure that he could play bogey golf in similar conditions as them (and he's probably only one of a couple here who would have even the remotest of shots of pulling it off) ... how does the handicap system work for such comparisons? Does it break down at the very bottom and very top of the scales? Or is it simply not designed to accommodate such comparisons?
I think this question would make for a great thread. Hard is hard, and it's not like they are going to rate it a 99.6, are they?

Back