One day to play near London, England. Where should I go?

baldguy

Part-Time Sasquatch
Reaction score
Handicap
15.3 GHIN
Work is sending me to London for a week in early July. I'll have one day, a Tuesday, to play golf. I could feasibly play on Friday afternoon as well, but that one isn't as easy to plan for. I won't have a car, but I can take a taxi to someplace relatively close to London. Public transport is an option as well. If I simply must go someplace outside the range of those two then I will rent a car. I'm hoping to avoid that, though.

So, THP, I ask you - where should I play? Should I focus on an historic course? One that is typical of English links-style golf? Some other spectacular course that shouldn't be missed? I'm willing to spend a bit of money on this round since I don't know when/if I will ever be back, but hopefully not more than about USD$400. Less would be awesome.

Looking forward to your advice!

I wouldn't qualify this as advice but with those criteria, I'd be looking at:

Stoke Park, Woburn, Sunningdale, Wentworth (West would push the budget a bit I think).

Sunningdale Old. That's where I'd go, in a heart beat.

certainly some high-end options there, and I'm sure I would enjoy them! I think I have talked my co-worker into playing with me though, and he doesn't have an established handicap which it seems many of the really elite courses require. Not only is his not established but he would probably be a 25+, which wouldn't fit anyway. With that in mind, I still don't really want to play an average public course that just happens to be in the UK. Does anyone know of any options that still fit? Thanks!

There is the London Club in Kent , where the world matchplay is being held in October and HQ for the European Tour .

www.londongolf.co.uk

certainly some high-end options there, and I'm sure I would enjoy them! I think I have talked my co-worker into playing with me though, and he doesn't have an established handicap which it seems many of the really elite courses require. Not only is his not established but he would probably be a 25+, which wouldn't fit anyway. With that in mind, I still don't really want to play an average public course that just happens to be in the UK. Does anyone know of any options that still fit? Thanks!

There is the London Club in Kent , where the world matchplay is being held in October and HQ for the European Tour .

www.londongolf.co.uk

I'll second the vote for the London Golf Club. Played with a London-based colleague several years ago and enjoyed it. One of the courses is private - we played on the other, but it was a nice course; was in pristine condition and very walk-able. I don't recall the cost, but it was pricey.

the Addington looks pretty awesome. they all look pretty awesome. it's not going to be an easy decision!

Let me know the date and I will see if I can get off work and join you , there is also Tilgate Park which is about 30 mins by train to Gatwick , I can pick you up from there here is the link for Tilgate , its a hidden gem designed by Neil Coles and worth a visit. Dont think I can afford the London Club , think the wife would object :banghead:

http://www.glendalegolf.co.uk/Tilgate-Forest-Golf-Centre

Let me know the date and I will see if I can get off work and join you , there is also Tilgate Park which is about 30 mins by train to Gatwick , I can pick you up from there here is the link for Tilgate , its a hidden gem designed by Neil Coles and worth a visit. Dont think I can afford the London Club , think the wife would object :banghead:

http://www.glendalegolf.co.uk/Tilgate-Forest-Golf-Centre

OP, this is a great chance here to play with another THPer...If it was me I'd take you up on it.

I miss my trips to the UK and the Continent for work, need to find a position that brings me back.

As well as the offer from Ranger, I would maybe suggest dropping GEO375 and El Bandito a message as well in case they don't see this - they might have some other suggestions

Back