The Highlands of Elgin Golf Course, Illinois

Maybe I should do a spring/summer THP get together for everyone and include this course for the weekend :p Bowes Creek/Highlands mix?!

I'd play! I've never played Bowes Creek (a little too expensive for me…kids). I'd love to play in a THP outing at the Highlands. Count me in!!

I'd play! I've never played Bowes Creek (a little too expensive for me…kids). I'd love to play in a THP outing at the Highlands. Count me in!!

I'd be happy to join in. I live right in Elgin, and I do enjoy the Highlands.
I too have never played Bowes Creek due to cost, however I did just learn about the joys of Golf Now last year. I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I will this year.
A combo of Bowes, and the Highlands sounds like a great time.

The true test of that new driver will be on the tee at 11, my normal miss would be into the water on the left, if I'm lucky enough to get in I can't wait to see how the new "secret" driver performs on that shot!

Lance, I enjoyed playing there with you last year in our warm up for the THP Outing. Great course. I'd play in a non official THP get together this year.

I'd be happy to join in. I live right in Elgin, and I do enjoy the Highlands.
I too have never played Bowes Creek due to cost, however I did just learn about the joys of Golf Now last year. I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I will this year.
A combo of Bowes, and the Highlands sounds like a great time.

The true test of that new driver will be on the tee at 11, my normal miss would be into the water on the left, if I'm lucky enough to get in I can't wait to see how the new "secret" driver performs on that shot!

I think 11 is one of the most entertaining holes on the course. You can play it safe on the right, or get as aggressive as you dare off the tee.
I've never ventured down into the "stuff" near the water, but I'm sure that it's littered with the dreams of long accurate drives, that didn't quite carry. If you do clear the junk, It can be an easy par, or birdie if your short game is on.
Actually the 8th hole is pretty similar. If you're long enough, (which I'm not) it can be an easy par, but it's always a fun hole.

Lance I birdied the 11th at the THP Outing. Hit a high, long draw about 285 over the quarry, 8i in and 1 putt. Beautiful and fun hole. If you hit too far laft and get greedy, you are punished with an unplayble in the quarry. If you hit safe to the right, you make the hole a par 5.

I think 11 is one of the most entertaining holes on the course. You can play it safe on the right, or get as aggressive as you dare off the tee.
I've never ventured down into the "stuff" near the water, but I'm sure that it's littered with the dreams of long accurate drives, that didn't quite carry. If you do clear the junk, It can be an easy par, or birdie if your short game is on.
Actually the 8th hole is pretty similar. If you're long enough, (which I'm not) it can be an easy par, but it's always a fun hole.

Lance, I enjoyed playing there with you last year in our warm up for the THP Outing. Great course. I'd play in a non official THP get together this year.
I'd love to tee it up with you again. I had a great time. Meeting people is one of the best things about the game.

#11...watching ragarm say you need to be just right of the rocks and he then hits it within a foot of them, carrying the gorge by 6 inches. I hit the fairway and the green...then 3 putted from the wrong level.

I have to admit I've always struggled with the back 9. Every hole has a challenge, and a risk-reward. Even if you play it safe, a mistake can step up and bite you. If you hit it well, and consistant, you can score very well. If you are having issues, it can beat you down.
I feel it's a fun and a fair design. To tell the truth, I think I should be playing form the silvers on most of those holes. Some of the carries can be difficult for us short knockers.

I played better on the back 9 after dealing with first THP outing nerves for the first few holes. I did Birdie the last par 3.

I thought with the final winners upcoming, this amazing course deserved a bump for sure.

Beautiful course, yet it seems like you really have to play to your distances on this track. The Wilson/Staff outing here is going to be amazing!!
Maybe some Wilson #PersonalDistance could help with that!!!

I can't say enough good things about the layout here. Fair off the tee, extremely fun shots into greens, and the views you get on both sides are exciting.

This will be a course worthy of a live update thread!

I can't say enough good things about the layout here. Fair off the tee, extremely fun shots into greens, and the views you get on both sides are exciting.

This will be a course worthy of a live update thread!
The views look amazing online, I'm sure they are quite spectacular in person!

I hope I get to play golf here this course looks awesome and a good test of shot placement and course management

I hope I get to play golf here this course looks awesome and a good test of shot placement and course management
It is one of the best courses off the tee I have ever played...The options are endless. Picking the line which gives you the best angle into the green usually brings more risk into play. There are bail out options, but if you choose these... your second shot will be far more challenging. Imho this is the best designed public course (that I have played) in our area, from a strategic golf perspective. Not to mention the pace of play is always good and the greens are very good.

Lord what tees do you usually play?

Looking at the course I see me playing to safety on numerous holes from the gold as I don't feel like I'm quite long enough or consistent enough to take on a lot of the risky tee shots

Lord what tees do you usually play?

Looking at the course I see me playing to safety on numerous holes from the gold as I don't feel like I'm quite long enough or consistent enough to take on a lot of the risky tee shots
We play Highlands a lot, we almost always play the gold. Have played the gold/black many times also. The gold are by far the most fun for our group, make a lot of the tee balls interesting. I always recommend that people play one set up from where they would usually play.
when my dad plays with us he plays from the next set up from the gold. You want to play this course at the tee boxes that give you carry opportunities with the driver but also allow for failure if not struck well.

Just as a point of reference I carry 240-250 off the tee, sometimes a little better, many time less.

If you make it to the area and don't have 4 I would love to get out there with you!

Last edited:
My carry is in that realm somedays a little longer, but have been trying to play more conservative to allow better scoring by avoiding trouble especially off the tee. The gold look perfect yardage wise and gives me the option to be aggressive as well as play it safe and not be too far out to still have a shot of scoring.

I hope to make it up that way someday and tee it up with you guys.

We play Highlands a lot, we almost always play the gold. Have played the gold/black many times also. The gold are by far the most fun for our group, make a lot of the tee balls interesting. I always recommend that people play one set up from where they would usually play.
when my dad plays with us he plays from the next set up from the gold. You want to play this course at the tee boxes that give you carry opportunities with the driver but also allow for failure if not struck well.

Just as a point of reference I carry 240-250 off the tee, sometimes a little better, many time less.

If you make it to the area and don't have 4 I would love to get out there with you!
Make sure you get your entry in for the amazing event in your area!!! (If you haven't already!!!)
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...alDistance-w-THP-amp-Wilson-Staff-Final-Spots

I bet there's some new browsers of this thread. Congrats to the last group on entrants. Can't wait to see all the photos from this amazing course.

Matt Ginella just named the Highlands #5 in the country best value! Speaks to the level of course THP is selecting for the events! I am lucking enough to play it upwards of 15 times a year...love the Highlands.

Matt Ginella just named the Highlands #5 in the country best value! Speaks to the level of course THP is selecting for the events! I am lucking enough to play it upwards of 15 times a year...love the Highlands.

Great? Now the price will go up!

I thought it was a fun course. Their staff was not very nice to a couple THPers who wanted to buy a memento, but it's a good course.

Back