Are these the correct drops for each (ball in water hazard) scenario

Freddy - three different shot shapes, not hazard lines.

Is the red line one shot, or a shot to the fairway and a second shot missed to the left?

This is why I asked what you were asking. The yellow line to me represents a yellow hazard and the red a red hazard. The blue is just a bad shot. So are these three different ball flights over a red staked hazard?

Sorry if my open was confusing. The colored lines represent 3 different types of shot shapes (ball flight patterns) on the way to the hole but all end up in the water. They are shots I have often seen people take and also done myself too.

Each colored shot shape would or could allow for different drop scenarios on contrary to what I actually see many people do. In many cases they are wrong. So I wanted to clear it up just for my own knowledge and my own play to be sure I do it correctly.

Then additional things were brought up.
Some of you brought up differences of whether or not if the stakes are red or yellow which would then make a difference as to where the drops can be placed. So this further added to the questions and the discussion.

Then there was an additional question of if a ball makes it across everything but then falls back into the water? This also further added to the discussion as yet another scenario that does happen. And then that answer of course will also differ dependent on whether or not the stakes are yellow or red.

Hope this sums up the discussion :)
I tried to keep it short as I am capable :)

All this is in Rule 26. The important fact is where the ball last cross the margin of the hazard. That is the first thing to establish. Either keep the spot between you and the hole and you can go back along that line as far as you want.

There is also the all rules option from rule 27-1 where you can play from the place the previous stroke was made.

If the water hazard is lateral then you can find the point where the ball last crossed and take two club lengths no nearer the hole.

If there is a drop zone there will be a local rule on how to proceed as well.
[h=3]26-1. Relief for Ball in Water Hazard[/h]It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In the absence of knowledge or virtual certainty that a ball struck toward a water hazard, but not found, is in the hazard, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1.
If a ball is found in a water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in the water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:
a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.
When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.
(Prohibited actions when ball is in a hazard – see Rule 13-4)
(Ball moving in water in a water hazard – see Rule 14-6)

About a 180yrd par3.
From this tee box on the left I often enough seen many play a shot (including me) with similar results to the ones indicated. Of course being a water ball the result is not good :(

I dont care what anyone does so that in itself doesnt affect or bother me but I do like to play things correctly for my own purposes especially since I started running a cap so i want to know if I got this right.

What I see quite a few people doing after any of these shots is go and drop one near the hole near the "red" drop area. I assume they are thinking because its near where the ball landed. But I "think" that is only correct for the "red" flight path and not the others.
The way i see the rules, the only correct drops are the way i have them indicated for each flight path. Correct me if I wrong with these?? I would just like to know if i'm doing it correctly.

par3_zps211ba209.jpg

Quick answer, no. The yellow one is totally wrong for rule 26-1b. As nearly as I can tell, there would be few, if any pin placements where option b under rule 26-1 would be usable for the point where the ball crossed into the hazard. You don't follow back on line of flight. You draw a line from the hole to the point where the ball last crossed into the hazard, then you can retreat to any point on that line which is not in the water hazard, keeping the point where the ball crossed between you and the hole. Since I can't see the hole in that graphic, I can't say where the drop would be, but it is not where you put it - it would appear to be back way left near the previous green which would be the most likely dropping area. In fact, that hazard would be incorrectly marked if it was marked with yellow stakes in that location, as it would usually leave only the stroke and distance option as a logical choice. The lateral water hazard dropping procedures were added for exactly this sort of situation.

The red one looks correct for the option in rule 26-1c. However, if the hole was in the back left, you could conceivable have a drop near your yellow location too, under rule 26-1b.

The blue option of stroke and distance under rule 26-1a is always correct and can be used for any ball lost in a water hazard. See the pink line. You can see that there is little or no area for a drop near your pushpin.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Quick answer, no. The yellow one is totally wrong for rule 26-1b. As nearly as I can tell, there would be few, if any pin placements where option b under rule 26-1 would be usable for the point where the ball crossed into the hazard. You don't follow back on line of flight. You draw a line from the hole to the point where the ball last crossed into the hazard, then you can retreat to any point on that line which is not in the water hazard, keeping the point where the ball crossed between you and the hole. Since I can't see the hole in that graphic, I can't say where the drop would be, but it is not where you put it - it would appear to be back way left near the previous green which would be the most likely dropping area. In fact, that hazard would be incorrectly marked if it was marked with yellow stakes in that location, as it would usually leave only the stroke and distance option as a logical choice. The lateral water hazard dropping procedures were added for exactly this sort of situation.

The red one looks correct for the option in rule 26-1c. However, if the hole was in the back left, you could conceivable have a drop near your yellow location too, under rule 26-1b.

The blue option of stroke and distance under rule 26-1a is always correct and can be used for any ball lost in a water hazard. See the pink line. You can see that there is little or no area for a drop near your pushpin.

That is probably the rule that is most commonly mistaken. In just about every tournament I've played in, somebody says something about dropping a ball in the line of flight. There is nothing in the rule book about that. It's always taking the point in which it last crossed and making a direct line to the hole and going back from there. Many times that's nowhere near the line of flight.

Quick answer, no. The yellow one is totally wrong for rule 26-1b. As nearly as I can tell, there would be few, if any pin placements where option b under rule 26-1 would be usable for the point where the ball crossed into the hazard. You don't follow back on line of flight. You draw a line from the hole to the point where the ball last crossed into the hazard, then you can retreat to any point on that line which is not in the water hazard, keeping the point where the ball crossed between you and the hole. Since I can't see the hole in that graphic, I can't say where the drop would be, but it is not where you put it - it would appear to be back way left near the previous green which would be the most likely dropping area. In fact, that hazard would be incorrectly marked if it was marked with yellow stakes in that location, as it would usually leave only the stroke and distance option as a logical choice. The lateral water hazard dropping procedures were added for exactly this sort of situation..

That is probably the rule that is most commonly mistaken. In just about every tournament I've played in, somebody says something about dropping a ball in the line of flight. There is nothing in the rule book about that. It's always taking the point in which it last crossed and making a direct line to the hole and going back from there. Many times that's nowhere near the line of flight.

But from what i gather from the rule and you guys for a red staked hazard then the "yellow" ball can indeed be placed 2 club legnths from entry point without having to keep the hazrd between you and the hole. No?

on another note "fourputt" . I would guess they could (if so chosen to) marked the very edge of the 2 areas of the hazard with yellow in just those two places where the hazard bends inwards enough. The two areas would be in line with the hole especially for a left rear pin and from the left tee box. It would be pretty nitpicking and not practical to do it but technically those two spots dont have to be considered lateral but more in line of play. What do you think?

But from what i gather from the rule and you guys for a red staked hazard then the "yellow" ball can indeed be placed 2 club legnths from entry point without having to keep the hazrd between you and the hole. No?

on another note "fourputt" . I would guess they could (if so chosen to) marked the very edge of the 2 areas of the hazard with yellow in just those two places where the hazard bends inwards enough. The two areas would be in line with the hole especially for a left rear pin and from the left tee box. It would be pretty nitpicking and not practical to do it but technically those two spots dont have to be considered lateral but more in line of play. What do you think?

There is no place on that hole where the hazard should be marked in yellow. That should be a lateral water hazard the entire length of the hole. If it was properly marked, then the red and yellow balls could be dropped within 2 clublengths of the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, outside of the hazard and no closer to the hole. Under Rule 26-1c.

The 2 clublengths only applies when the hazard is marked in red as a lateral. If it's marked in yellow, then there are no clublengths to measure, ever.

These are the three relief options under Rule 26-1:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or

c.
As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

Back