Guessing I'm Flipping

Maelstrom6

Reaction score
Stopped playing golf about four years ago after shoulder surgery. Have started to go to the range recently (about six trips so far) and discovered something in my swing has definitely changed.

Am thinning everything. Getting a ton of height at the expense of distance. And the rare divot is usually before the ball. Very frustrating and painful to the hands.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as well as swing tips.

The two don't typically go hand in hand. You can be getting height with thin shots. The more likely explanation is that you are picking the ball off the turf on the up swing with an early release. The combination is causing a balloon ball instead of a penetrating ball flight.

A good drill is to swing the handle of the club into the ball. What this does is hold the angle and drive the club head down and through. As the handle goes so goes the club head.
Stopped playing golf about four years ago after shoulder surgery. Have started to go to the range recently (about six trips so far) and discovered something in my swing has definitely changed.

Am thinning everything. Getting a ton of height at the expense of distance. And the rare divot is usually before the ball. Very frustrating and painful to the hands.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as well as swing tips.

I agree you are no doubt flipping the clubface at impact which is a natural reaction to trying to lift the ball into the air rather than letting the club do the work. You have to hit down on it to get the proper impact position. Imagine hitting the ball with the back of your left hand, into the floor, or imagine a nail is sticking out of the ball and you want to pound it into the ground with the back of your glove hand. That is a good starting point that should help you stop flipping the club at impact. I hope that was useful?

I agree you are no doubt flipping the clubface at impact which is a natural reaction to trying to lift the ball into the air rather than letting the club do the work. You have to hit down on it to get the proper impact position. Imagine hitting the ball with the back of your left hand, into the floor, or imagine a nail is sticking out of the ball and you want to pound it into the ground with the back of your glove hand. That is a good starting point that should help you stop flipping the club at impact. I hope that was useful?

This is solid advice, getting the feeling of digging the knuckles of the left hand into the turf will make for solid contact.

Back