majBC

Reaction score
Which has more influence on driver launch angle: loft, shaft flex, shaft torque, tip stiffness, internal club head Center of Gravity or tee height?

Loft. Is the biggest factor for me.

Loft, based on your list, but I find that for myself AoA is a much bigger factor.

Swing it is for me, my positive angle of attack promotes a high launch angle

High lofted drivers and tip soft shafts don't help but aren't the root of silly LA numbers

Would tee height not play a large role in AoA?
I know it does for me.

I think tee height plays more of a role is contact quality than it does in AoA. It may feel like it affects the swing. But I feel like it just changes where on the driver you make contact.

I think tee height plays more of a role is contact quality than it does in AoA. It may feel like it affects the swing. But I feel like it just changes where on the driver you make contact.

That sounds like AoA to me. I'm not saying it changes your swing, but it does change how the club comes into the ball thus changes the AoA. When you change ball position to hit a hook and swing doesn't change just where the club contacts the ball.

That sounds like AoA to me. I'm not saying it changes your swing, but it does change how the club comes into the ball thus changes the AoA. When you change ball position to hit a hook and swing doesn't change just where the club contacts the ball.

Ball position can changes the AOA and face angle that is how changing it can cause a hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ball position can changes the AOA and face angle that is how changing it can cause a hook

That is the point I was trying to make to blugold.

Would tee height not play a large role in AoA?
I know it does for me.

It can, along with ball position, i.e. ball more forward.

I think loft is the number one factor that affects launch angle. If I switch my Bio Cell from 12 to 9 degrees I see a much lower launch...I would assume 3* difference.

That said, there are so many factors as already listed that trying to single one out of the rest is tough to say the least.

Tee height can also change the launch apart from AoA, like hitting higher on the face which causes the head to deflect, increasing dynamic loft, and reducing spin, not a bad thing for some folks.

Any kind of low kick shaft. Also, driver is the only club in the bag where you hit up upon contact so launch angle is really predicated on the type of swing you apply.

That is the point I was trying to make to blugold.

I think it is a lot smarter and more efficient to change the tee height to fit the swing than to change the swing to fit the tee height.

I also think that swing path and face has more to do with flight shape than ball position. If I am (dumbly) trying to shape a shot, I will change my feet and swing before I will change here I put the ball in relation to my body.

Unless you're making cuts on the PGA tour, change your tee height to fit your swing than to do it the other way around.

I think all of the factors I mentioned in the first post play a role in Launch Angle as well as others that have been mentioned. What brought on this question for me was at my Ping fitting the other day, I have noticed that higher torque shafts on drivers are becoming more common and I asked him about it. He said that higher torque shafts helped launch the ball. I have been told that loft has the most to do with spin and that center of gravity has to do with launch as the SLDR moved its CG and we have to loft up with that club. So I was curious what factors have the most influence for you on launch.

I think it is a lot smarter and more efficient to change the tee height to fit the swing than to change the swing to fit the tee height.

I also think that swing path and face has more to do with flight shape than ball position. If I am (dumbly) trying to shape a shot, I will change my feet and swing before I will change here I put the ball in relation to my body.

Unless you're making cuts on the PGA tour, change your tee height to fit your swing than to do it the other way around.

I am not saying anything about changing your swing just tee height (ball position). I may be an outlier here but when I have trouble with ball striking it almost always comes down grip or ball position.

I am not saying anything about changing your swing just tee height (ball position). I may be an outlier here but when I have trouble with ball striking it almost always comes down grip or ball position.

You're not an outlier in that sense. But if you're looking to change your launch angle it's my opinion that a swing tweak or loft change is smarter and easier than worrying about much else.

You're not an outlier in that sense. But if you're looking to change your launch angle it's my opinion that a swing tweak or loft change is smarter and easier than worrying about much else.

I have to disagree with you on changing my swing is easier than me playing with ball position or grip. I am of the opinion that we all have a natural way that we swing and that little tweaks with grip or set-up can cause us to swing differently and, for me, that is the way to change my swing. I have been playing golf for nearly 40 years and after the first 3 or 4 years I have had the same swing issues, so I am constantly working on the same type of things.

I have to disagree with you on changing my swing is easier than me playing with ball position or grip. I am of the opinion that we all have a natural way that we swing and that little tweaks with grip or set-up can cause us to swing differently and, for me, that is the way to change my swing. I have been playing golf for nearly 40 years and after the first 3 or 4 years I have had the same swing issues, so I am constantly working on the same type of things.

As long as the grip is fundamentally sound and the ball position is consistent, cross those off your list. Those aren't well kept secrets.

As long as the grip is fundamentally sound and the ball position is consistent, cross those off your list. Those aren't well kept secrets.

My Grip and ball position are usually pretty good but those two seem to slowly creep a little sometimes and before I know it one or both are off. Just me, I guess.

That is what I do trying to change you swing to fit a tee height will effect your constancy

My Grip and ball position are usually pretty good but those two seem to slowly creep a little sometimes and before I know it one or both are off. Just me, I guess.

You're not alone there

I'm surprised there are so many loft answers. Everything else equal, yes, I agree. But with tee height included in the list, I'm surprised anyone said anything but that.

Back