Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot back into the 100's again for a 111 this past Father's day due to really terrible play on all facets of my game. Putting was atrocious and had about ten or so 3-putts due to out of control green speeds. All things aside, I'll be back in the 90's this weekend just a fluke in my eyes!

I played 36 at the SeeMore Extravaganza - the Hermitage courses are more difficult than my normal tracks, and my driver completely deserted me. I had a blast. It shot 108/107. Today I played my home course and shot 99, and the most encouraging thing was I lipped out 3 putts and left 7 more within 2 inches of the hole. Two I still can't figure how they didn't fall! So with a little more work I should be consistently in the 90's, even if my driver isn't working!

Another thing that helped is I avoided hero shots and other dumb risks. For example, the first hole is 330 yds and I usually hit driver under trees or OB. Today I hit 5 iron to 150 and 7 iron to the fringe and just lipped out the par putt. I'm starting to realize that course management is holding me back as much as anything else, and being smart is a good way to turn 7 or 8 into 4 or 5. Too bad it took this long to figure it out lol!

In assessing the current state of my game, I thought I was playing too much. Sounds strange to say that. I'm pushing myself to get more time at the range before my next 18 (hopefully this Saturday).

My big misses are fat shots and RIGHT (push, push slice, and straight slice) and struggle to get anything to move straight or left. I am not consistent in releasing the club. I took a lesson 2 weeks ago and was given a few drills/tips. The guy basically said to over-exaggerate the motions to make the ball go left. I didn't put in enough time to groove a swing and results were worse than before.

Monday: 2 hour session. Focusing on ball striking and hitting the ball straight or left. Took things really slow. Used a CamDaddy to film swings and tried to correct the obvious flaws. Several "coaches in training" wanted to give all types of advice and tips against my wishes. I eventually started to hit straight and slight draw shots with the irons. Best session ever.

Tuesday morning (today): another 2 hour session. Spent about 45 minutes chipping. Most chipping I had ever practiced. I was able to hit chips that roll out or land softly. I can't wait to try to this on the course. I'm so afraid to chip, I usually opt to putt anywhere near the green regardless of length, rough, etc. That should change in my next round.

Spent the remaining time on the full swing (SW to 7i) continuing my progress from Monday. I have been hitting the ball a little cleaner the last few days. No nearly as mainly fat shots. I've been hitting off mats the last 2 days. Hopefully, I am able to hit off the ground as things dry out.

I will probably take a day off. I'm a little sore and I don't want to hurt something.

Got out today and played pretty well. Went 50/46 for a 96 this morning. 6/14 FW, 1/18 GIR and 35 putts. 3 Pars, a bunch of bogeys. Had two triples to bookend the front which was frustrating but aside from that I limited the damage to double or bogey on most holes. Par three play today was poor; a bogey and three doubles really cost me. I'll be focusing on the 170-200 shot quite a bit the next few weeks as everything else was serviceable today. Looking forward to the next round.

107 this morning 54/53. Positives I found my missing driver swing and hit 10 / 14, 2 slight misses left and 2 OB. 38 putts which consisted of 16 x 2 putts and 2 x 3 putts, missed 4 putts for par literally by 1/2 a ball or less. Bogied 3 out of 4 par 3's. Negatives, course management today, even knowing i wasn't swinging well I still pulled the 5 wood out for 2 fairway shots which were topped when I should have just gone with a 6 iron. 2 ball OB (lost one found one) and one stuck in a coconut tree didn't help.

This mornings weather was the worse I have played here in Thailand, strong winds and heavy rain it was more like a UK Summers morning. Out again on Friday morning with a range session tomorrow at some point. Managed to get a lesson booked in yesterday which is helping to get my swing back on track after not having one for several weeks and trying all manner of things to self diagnose and correct. It never ceases to amaze me what someone who actually knows what a swing should be doing can help correct it with a few small tweaks and drills.

I am happy to report that my playing has improved to the point that I will be reading and picking up in the breaking 90 thread.
I appreciate the help and insight this thread has offered.

Good luck to everyone! I will be checking in from time to time!

CJ
I was just about to post the same exact comment. Ditto all the insight and advice on this thread. Hope I'm not jinxing myself, LOL.

Been trying to break a hundred for so long now.
Shot two 101s this month on different courses. Yesterday all I had to do was get a 6 on the 18th (par 4) and I choked and completely blew the hole with an 8.

It's close.... I hope.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Shot two 101s this month on different courses. Yesterday all I had to do was get a 6 on the 18th (par 4) and I choked and completely blew the hole with an 8.

It's close.... I hope.

Try not to look at your score or think about it on the way round. The few times I have broken 100 I knew I was there or there abouts but looking at your score card just put more pressure on the last hole, which for me ends will a big blow up hole. Write your score down and turn the card over so you can not see the numbers, or just shove it straight back in your pocket. Don't even add up after the first 9. Good luck.

My best round ever. 96 yesterday (Rating: 69.6, Slope: 120) in a light to slightly more than light rain shower.

46 on front and 50 on back. 3 pars, 8 bogies, 5 doubles, and 2 triples. I was going very good until I glanced at my score after hole 14. The bogie on 14 put me +16 with 4 holes to go. Predictably, I went double, triple, triple (on a par 3) on the next three holes. Hole 18 was a 2 putt par on a par 5.

71% fairways ... Did not try to crush the driver. Smooth swing and was consistently getting 245 - 260 yards and playable.
2 GIR .. I was near the green a few times. I couldn't get the distance on my approach shot. My flipping came back and I was launching moon shots everywhere. Clean contact but distance loss.
1.8 putts per hole, 33 total. Very good day putting in a while. My chipping was better and giving much shorter putts.
2 penalties. Into the water on the par 3 17th and 1 OOB.

3rd time breaking 100. Still looking for that elusive back to back. The range time is really paying off. My ball striking was much better. Consistent distance and flipping wrists were issues. I only recall hitting 2 fat shots.

Off to the range tomorrow. Trying to get continue with 3 sessions per week. Worked out well last week.

Had a poor round yesterday on a new track; went 51/52 for a 103. Good news was I improved the 170-200 yard game over last round and played better on par 3's. Driver was a disaster on the front and I made some lousy course management decisions which put me in some bad spots. Greens weren't good and I couldn't make up any strokes there either. I had fun though and I'll be better next trip out.

After several close calls I was finally able to break through the barrier in two consecutive rounds - 98 and a 92. Pretty stoked on the game right now and can't wait to see of the trend continues or was just an anomaly of two back to back good rounds. Ball striking is good. Putter is where I am struggling the most.

Shot 100 on Saturday which was my first comp round for 4 months. Had 2 8's in the front 9 to shoot 53 and then kept it doubles or better on the second 9 to shoot 47. I really focused on scoring better from the 6th onward and it seemed to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After several close calls I was finally able to break through the barrier in two consecutive rounds - 98 and a 92. Pretty stoked on the game right now and can't wait to see of the trend continues or was just an anomaly of two back to back good rounds. Ball striking is good. Putter is where I am struggling the most.
Congrats. I'm trying to heck to get the back-to-back sub 100 rounds. Waiting on the rain to break in GA. Might get a round on Thursday.

Try not to look at your score or think about it on the way round. The few times I have broken 100 I knew I was there or there abouts but looking at your score card just put more pressure on the last hole, which for me ends will a big blow up hole. Write your score down and turn the card over so you can not see the numbers, or just shove it straight back in your pocket. Don't even add up after the first 9. Good luck.
This is very good advice. When I was struggling to break 100 consistently I took this advice and just wrote my score down and got focused on the next hole.

Keep working at it guys but don't forget this game is supposed to be fun. A couple rounds ago I found myself so focused on my score and how I was playing I didn't have fun at all shot a 101. Next time out I was relaxed and just had fun shot 88. Go figure that haha

102 :( a few errant tee shots. One missed putt here one missed putt there. Ball striking is better. Just little mistakes here and there. On a positive note past five round average is 98. So getting there.

Trying to Break 100

Got a round in today with the swarm of gnats in south GA. Scored a 99 although I had 7 penalty strokes due to a few errant shots and not knowing water was in play on certain holes/shots. The fun and danger of playing a new course. This was my 1st back to back sub-100 rounds. #EXCITED #FINALLY

5 GIRs. 4 pars. 6 bogies 5 triples. 50% fairways (only 2-3 not easily in play)

In trying to implement some swing changes, I am very inconsistent with iron distance. Also starting to hit more draws and can't find my line since I'm accustomed to aligning to prevent my old pal Slice from killing me. Improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A round of 2 9's this morning. Front 9 out in 45, 2 pars, 5 bogies, 2 doubles and 19 putts. Back 9 in with a 57, 4 bogies, 2 doubles and 3 nightmare holes a 9 and a 8 on 2 par 4's and a 9 on a par 5 again 19 putts. Not quite sure how the wheels dramatically fell off on the back 9, I got caught in a couple of big bunkers and also a small shallow green side one which I know I slowed down my swing as I hit the ball which skated it across the green into the opposite side bunker which took a couple to get out so that was 3 wasted shots.

That was the most consistent I have played even though it was 5 shots over my lowest score. Played from the Yellow tees at 5587 yards. http://www.theemeraldgolf.com This is a really nice course here sat in the foothills of Rayong and very undulating, tight ish fairways and the back 9 greens were all being sanded, some looked more like beaches than greens. The front 9 there is a really nice breeze blowing but as you turn onto the back for some reason that disappears and the temperature rises. It is also cheap for around here. Only the 2nd time I have played here, first time was in December last year and I scored 119

52/49 for a 101 yesterday. It's a marked improvement over my last round (a 109) in that I was striking the ball fairly well with my irons yesterday. My problem remains getting off the tee, and now (of all things) putting. 44 total putts yesterday to go along with three penalties yesterday really blew up my score. Had a birdie, 2 par's, 5 bogeys, 7 doubles, and 3 others (which included one ESC). The others were all a result of my inability to properly get off the tee.

Keeping that back elbow tucked however really has helped my iron striking though, so even though with the poor putting day, I was happy. Handicap continues to drop ... now at 30.6.

Things are looking up after yesterday's round of 92 (47/45) with 38 putts (terrible day for it). If I can get my 3W in check and work on my driver swing, should be on the heels of high 80's soon enough! Handicap through this season on all my 18 hole rounds is now at 24.6
Looking to slowly get back under the 20's!

It's close.... I hope.

If you're having trouble findiing the fiarway, you could hit two iron shots & be on or near the green with a chance for a close chip or pitch. I know the last rounds I broke 100 that's what I did. Don't get discouraged man!

@Grins, it's actually my irons I'm struggling with! I can hit fairways with driver and five wood and get in great positions but ive really got to work on my tempo with irons I think I get very choppy.

On the plus side 6 iron up should be one of the easier groups of clubs to fix!

Went out at 6:45 this morning & played from the longer tees (6300 yards) for a change of pace. Shot a 47/54 for a 101.

Encouraging:

1) I started to hit driver & 3 wood with a baby draw - right where I was aiming! (usually I'm a slicer - especially lately). 8 fairrways hit (and 4 others just missed with no real trouble). In fact, I actually hit 1 3-wood off the tee & right through the fairway & dribbled into a small creek - I've never hit it that long before, so kinda surprised & not totally bummed over the bad result, cause it was a good swing!)

2) getting better at hitting those 30-80 yard shots.

The extra length came into play mainly on three holes that had forced carries over water in the 170-200 yard range. Carried all three.

I feel like if I had played from the regular tees (6000 yds) I would've been under 100.

Last edited:
Played my 'best' round so far today. I shot a 104 on the Legacy Course at Sweetbriar west of Cleveland.

I had two pars on par 3's. I also had a legitimate eagle putt (which I promptly 3-putted... ugh).

Overall significantly improved on my drives and approach shots. My chipping and putting seems to be significantly holding me back at this point. I only had 2-one putts. I feel that I could shave off anywhere from 5-10 shots if I just practiced those more.

I also got paired up with a Gentleman who was a legit scratch golfer. He was looping around to play the same course again after we finished our 18 this morning. He was practicing to qualify for an amateur tournament coming up in Georgia. He gave me some great tips regarding chipping and was overall fantastic to play with. Dude had a crazy awesome drive and never had a lesson in his life. He shot a 70 IIRC. Overall, a great experience. I can't wait to get out again and try to improve more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back