What part of your game prevents you from shooting your best right now?

Short game. Virtually never get up and down from just off. Almost never make any putts over 4 feet. Horrible..

Yup - I don't think I could put any worse than I have lately. Driver & wedges are spot on lately, it's flat out amazing really how awful my putting is ...

Everything could improve, but I waste the most strokes with my short game - specifically chipping and pitching.

Ive been struggling with my mid range putting. Im getting frustrated not being able to get some 10 to 15 footers to go. If i hit 30% of the of my putts from 10 feet i could run around even par right now. im just missing to many putts and at least 50% of those are just poor reads.

Amazing how putting seems to be the bane of golf. So many guys (myself included) seem to struggle with putting. No matter how much practice I put into it, it doesn't seem to pay off on the course. Putting seems akin to being an artist or musician - you can practice all you want, but if you don't have "the knack" (to be able to read putts and use the small muscles which translate to feel), you're never going to be very good at putting - I think those that are good putters are wired differently, and just have an inherent aptitude for it ...

If I had to pick just one part - it would be short game. Shots from 90yrds and in. It's amazing how much better you can score if you can get it reasonably close from within 90yrds. It's really frustrating to be have an awesome round off of the tee boxes and absolutely kill it with a bad chip and a 2 putt. Takes me 1 shot to go 260yrds and another 4 or 5 to go 75yrds.

I'm actually striking the ball the best I ever have been. I got a few pointers regarding swing and stance and I'm hitting the ball straight with both woods and irons. The problem is that I've trained myself to compensate for my usually slice, so oftentimes I think I'm lined up aiming in the center of the fairway or green, but after a shot that goes straight left I step back to find I've was really lined up wrong and hit it exactly where I was aiming.

I can't tell you how many holes I messed up yesterday by either being too long or short from 100yrds in (no feel - in between clubs - etc) or hitting the ball exactly where I aimed...to notice I was aimed wrong to begin with.

Short game abandoned me yesterday when I was off the green. First down day I've had since going to the i20 wedges. Gonna get out to the range early before league tomorrow to give it some work. Tee game still needs some work, but it's getting better.

The mental part of the game has been my nemesis for 7-8 years now. As soon as I stopped playing 3-4 times per week as a coach, the mental has destroyed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting and short game. It's really gotten better over last year, but it still needs work. I don't make nearly enough putts in the 10 foot range, and I miss too many in the 5 foot range. Adds up to about 4 to 5 strokes a round, possibly more, that I'm leaving on the table. Also chipping closer and being better out of the sand, but the main one is putting right now.

My length. I learned this weekend that I may very well be the shortest hitter on the internet.

Without a doubt it's my short game/mental game. My wedges haven't been great inside of 120 yards lately and I can't seem to drain any sort of mid range putt. As far as the mental side goes, it's the rushed chips/putts after a bad shot that really end up ruining a perfectly good round. Just have to remember to take my time!

My problem is that a different area of my game craps the bed each time out. I'm a decent driver, alright with my irons, good with a wedge, and putt well enough but just never all at once.

I have total confidence in my game right now. But at the same time, I know I can't get lazy. Still have to keep up with practice, and most of that is short game. If there is one area that I can pick up strokes, its putts outside of 6 feet. Like the 6-10 foot range. But that's what the practice is for.

~Rock

My driver. It hasn't seen much daylight the last few rounds. Getting a new shaft to see if that helps, even if it's between the ears. It used to be my money club so I know I've got it somewhere.

My problem is that a different area of my game craps the bed each time out. I'm a decent driver, alright with my irons, good with a wedge, and putt well enough but just never all at once.

I'm with you there! I've finally gotten my irons straightened out, my short game and putting have been consistent, and my driver goes off line! Struggling with hooks at the moment and hope to have it sorted out soon.

Approach shots between 120-150yds, I'm usually off just enough to prevent me from hitting the green. My short chips tho are on point (anything inside of 60 yds), which helps me putt well.

Update: still my greenside game. I had 4 birdies yesterday and didn't break 80. That sucks. I have some good days there, but not enough to be even remotely consistent.

Update: still my greenside game. I had 4 birdies yesterday and didn't break 80. That sucks. I have some good days there, but not enough to be even remotely consistent.

We'll make a great combo in HHI then! I shot 80 with no birdies the other day. So if you can score and I can save, we should be good! Haha

I'm with you there! I've finally gotten my irons straightened out, my short game and putting have been consistent, and my driver goes off line! Struggling with hooks at the moment and hope to have it sorted out soon.

Same as you guys.

This past weekend I probably had the best driving round of my year, and my short game and putting let me down.

The next day couldn't get off the tee and putting was way better and short game was solid as well.

Too inconsistent.

Using Tapatalk

For sure! I've been throwing darts with my irons the last two rounds. I had 7 runs at birdie from inside 15ft yesterday. The swing changes have settled in so well. We would be a deadly team in the right format!

Usually it's my tee game, driver/3wd although driver is coming around

2nd is I'm a mental midget when it comes to making the proper swing

The last couple rounds have proven once again that its the tee game when I get off the tee well with Driver/3wd/Hybo I can put up solid scores when I can't my score is doomed. If I was playing for score alone I'd drop back to 4i and play it safe but I am not playing to shoot a number I am playing to post the best # I can using all of my game each time out.

Laying the sod over longer wedge shots - big time. Working on it with my coach. He is thinking I need to back off and take more club at this point - so am I. It does bug me though that when I could hoist a wedge in and stop it in a foot or two I need to take more club and plan to take more room for it to stop.

For me it is always chipping and putting. I miss more putts inside 5 feet just due to rushing and not taking my time. And my chipping is atrocious due to lack of play. Lately I have been hitting most of my GIR, but when I miss one, it is usually leads to a bogey or double.

I would say general course management. At this point, my game is still so inconsistent that it is difficult to manage the course effectively. If I can find a way to become more consistent (through playing more often), then I think I will be able to make great strides in a relatively short period of time.

Putting. And sometimes putting.

Back