How to approach first set of clubs

Andy216

Reaction score
Handicap
??
I would love some advice on how to approach the purchase of my first set of clubs.

I am getting lessons and plan on buying them from the pro shop at my local course after my third or fourth lesson.

Thoughts?

The pro shop would most likely offer some type of club fitting service. It would be your best bet.

Got with something that you're fitted for and offers a lot of forgiveness.

Got with something that you're fitted for and offers a lot of forgiveness.

Agreed

Make sure you go to a good shop to get fit i did not and my first set of clubs cause me lots of issues because of wrong flex

I'd spend as little money as possible and at this point, anything other than a very basic fitting probably doesn't matter imo. You're going to want to buy something new once you start getting a feel for what you like and do best with anyway, so err on the side of forgiving and cheap. I played a $100 set of box set clubs at first and upgraded over time. You could get a set from a few years ago for a little more.

I'd spend as little money as possible and at this point, anything other than a very basic fitting probably doesn't matter imo.
Definitely agree with Hawk. I know everyone's gung ho for getting fit here, but in your case, at the just starting stage, just find a cheap decent used set of GI clubs and start whacking away.

I agree with Hawk on this. You don't need to spend a lot of money at first, as you will want to upgrade things a year or two from now as you improve. If you can get a basic lie & length fitting that should work for now.

It always been my opinion to get a good, cheap, used set, or even heavily discounted new set from a year or two ago over a 'generic' set. There are lots of used options online like Callway Preowned and Global Golf where you can piece a decent set together for a good price. Most golf stores have a used area where they take trade ins if you want to see them firsthand. They might offer a discount if you were to get several pieces.

Listen to Hawk. My first set of irons were bought off Craigslist new for like $150.

I'd spend as little money as possible and at this point, anything other than a very basic fitting probably doesn't matter imo. You're going to want to buy something new once you start getting a feel for what you like and do best with anyway, so err on the side of forgiving and cheap. I played a $100 set of box set clubs at first and upgraded over time. You could get a set from a few years ago for a little more.

This is good advice.

I'd take it one step farther and forgo fitting completely other than just a basic understanding of your height and the shaft length you can thus handle, as well as an understanding of which shaft flex to aim for. Your swing is going to change as you take lessons and learn, so the benefits of a high end fitting will probably be lost. Also, when you're starting (or a hack like me), your swing kind of changes day to day. They'll fit you to your swing that day and you'll come out the next session with a different swing. Heck, even the lie angle will change based on your setup position.

When you're starting, used clubs are your friend. You don't really know what you like and what you don't like. Find an 3-5 year old set and go from there. There are a lot of GREAT iron or hybrid iron sets out there that can be had for < $150. Pick up a driver, putter, some fairways and a bag and you're on your way.

As for which types of clubs fit in that budget, this site is a great source of data. There are tons of threads out there. Find some things that interest you, plug them into eBay and Craigslist and off you go! To figure out which things you might be interested in, look around at signatures and try to find someone whose skill level and swing speed or game type match up with yours.

Definitely agree with Hawk. I know everyone's gung ho for getting fit here, but in your case, at the just starting stage, just find a cheap decent used set of GI clubs and start whacking away.

Listen to Hawk. My first set of irons were bought off Craigslist new for like $150.

As others have said, don't do what i did and purchase three different sets in the first year of playing. A basic static fitting is not a bad idea, just to get a idea of length and lie, and then look for the countless great options on ebay or other sites that will fit those measurements.

Lessons are key, and will save you a few years of frustration, and it does not have to be the top pro in the area, just someone who is established and can start your journey. With lessons as well, try and space them out a bit, maybe 3+ weeks so between then so you give yourself some time to work on what your last lesson taught you.

Go to global golf or 3 balls golf or other in line used store and get 3-4 year old set. Person giving you lessons should be able to give you approximate fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with the approach of finding a quality used SGI set and some woods and swinging away until you get a somewhat repeatable swing.

Once you have that, then get fitted and upgraded.

I put together a loner/backup set this spring (used Adams A3 Irons 3h, 4h, 5h 6-PW, used set of Adams Watson Wedges, used Speedline Fast12 driver and a new Speedline Fast12 3 wood) for just over $200. Picked up a used cart bag off EBay for $45.
As others have said Global Golf, Three Balls and Second Swing are great for used clubs.

PM me if you want any more information. I'd be happy to help.

Here is my two cents ... I would buy something cheap off of eBay or Craigslist. Something newer, but not expensive. For example, I just bought a set of Tour Edge clubs, released in 2013, for $125. Also, when you buy your driver, buy something with lots of loft.

Getting fit for clubs now, when you've never played is IMO mostly pointless. You have no idea how your instructor is going to change your swing, and once he does ... that fitting could wind up being obsolete. Go standard for now, work on your swing, and in a year or two get a proper fitting and clubs set to your specs. A properly trained indian can do a lot of damage with a standard arrow.

My first set were used and very cheap. Not very forgiving but really gave me insight to what I needed to work on with my game. My first new set however were fitted to my swing, and were very forgiving.

I've only been golfing for 1 year and have gone through 3 used sets already. I agree with the crowd that says go cheap and used. I would ask your instructor if he thinks you should be in normal range shaft or something heavier and whether you should start with regular flex or start with something in stiff.

I'm just now getting comfortable with the idea of spending money on an all new set.

When I first started I bought an almost new set of used mizuno clubs, 1200$ clubs brand new a few years ago for 175. $50 used putter, hand me down driver/hybrids *used again is cheap*

Make sure you like the game, once youve decided you're going to keep playing spend some money, like I did. up to about 1600 in the last 2 months :p damn this game..

Sage advice! Do yourself a favor and seriously consider the above. Really can't add anything except buy balls as cheap as you can get them also, they just don't make much difference until later.

just brought mt brother in law a set of nike vr_s irons for £125 only two years old, like people have said half the fun is finding what suits you best.

Sage advice! Do yourself a favor and seriously consider the above. Really can't add anything except buy balls as cheap as you can get them also, they just don't make much difference until later.

I don't know. A ball designed to stay straight like the Bridgestone E6 might make the game easier. They can be found lightly used and cheap at places like lostgolfballs.com.

I don't know. A ball designed to stay straight like the Bridgestone E6 might make the game easier. They can be found lightly used and cheap at places like lostgolfballs.com.

I meant buy cheap when starting out because a person will lose most of them at first. IMO any surlyn ball is going to fly a little straighter than urethane simply due to less spin.

Tappin pars

Agreed. I recently purchased a set of Ben Hogans for my son off of Craigslist for $50 and a $10 bag. I picked up a Wilson Deep Red driver, Callaway 9W, and a Hippo hybrid for him from purchasing a bag for myself and the clubs were thrown in. He time we went out, he was getting better and enjoying it more.

Also, although getting fit is very beneficial, it isn't a cure all. If you revert back to any bad habits like I have recently, you can still slice, top and splash the ball with your fitted clubs. As well as make the ball disappear. I have recently started slicing my fitted driver due to my fighting my old baseball swing. I cured it for a few holes yesterday but still not hitting it like when I was fitted.

Also, although getting fit is very beneficial, it isn't a cure all. If you revert back to any bad habits like I have recently, you can still slice, top and splash the ball with your fitted clubs. As well as make the ball disappear. I have recently started slicing my fitted driver due to my fighting my old baseball swing. I cured it for a few holes yesterday but still not hitting it like when I was fitted.

And respectfully, this I think is the life of a 18+ handicap and I say that as a self described hack. Our swings just aren't consistent enough to really gain the benefits of a fitment.

And respectfully, this I think is the life of a 18+ handicap and I say that as a self described hack. Our swings just aren't consistent enough to really gain the benefits of a fitment.

True. I think you gain the most benefit from a fitting if you are consistently shooting less than 90.

I almost replied to this thread....then I saw that 20 of you guys had already said the same thing I was going to say... cheap/used/decent until you even know if you are going to like the game enough to use the stuff more than a couple times, and wait until you have played enough to develop some consistency before you start looking to drop a load of cash on equipment.

True. I think you gain the most benefit from a fitting if you are consistently shooting less than 90.

That may be true for some, but a big gamble.

http://wishongolf.com/custom-clubfi...-mid-high-handicap-than-low-handicap-golfers/

I'd say if you decide you like the game and are going to continue to play that you should get fit within your first 6 months to a year. I don't know if I would have ever broke 100 swinging average (light weight) shafts. I know that most people will, but I'd at least ask a pro after a few lessons whether you should be in something different - even if it is cheap, used different.

Back