PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

Interesting, I have been pondering trying out my steelfilber i95's in the i25 heads. Wonder if I would be running into the same issue? The stock graphite have had no adhesion issues.
Yeah, I was a little surprised. I tried a Recoil shafted 7 iron at Ping and the fitter didn't say anything (I didn't think to ask, either). I don't know if they had anything similar with Steelfiber shafts.

I'll probably call in early July to see what they say.

I got fitted for a set of i25s today. I was a little surprised when the fitter told me the best option was the white dot, which is 3 degrees upright (I'm only 5'9"). Not that I don't believe him - he has a reputation as one of the best fitters in the area - but I wasn't quite ready to buy a whole set based on a few swings in the hitting bay. I ordered one club - the 8 iron - and will give that a good test run. If it works as well on the course as it did in today's fitting session, I'm all in. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I got fitted for a set of i25s today. I was a little surprised when the fitter told me the best option was the white dot, which is 3 degrees upright (I'm only 5'9"). Not that I don't believe him - he has a reputation as one of the best fitters in the area - but I wasn't quite ready to buy a whole set based on a few swings in the hitting bay. I ordered one club - the 8 iron - and will give that a good test run. If it works as well on the course as it did in today's fitting session, I'm all in. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I'm a big fan of ordering a single iron and putting it in play. I did this with a few different clubs and just picked up an S55 7i with X100 in it to see how it feels on the course.

I'm a big fan of ordering a single iron and putting it in play. I did this with a few different clubs and just picked up an S55 7i with X100 in it to see how it feels on the course.

Been following your posts - I am really curious as to what your experience w the S55 is. Keep us updated!

I finally found something these I-25 irons can't do. I hit 14 greens today and had 38 PUTTS !!! Go figure

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set if i25's. 4-LW with CFS shafts. I'm playing G25's right now, so we'll see how this goes. First thing I'll do is change the grips, as I agree with most here that the Ping grips are not good.

Grips are such a personal thing. I think folks who like tour velvets might be ok, but I have always played some form of chords, and for humid weather in KY, there is nothing better than a chord grip.

I finally found something these I-25 irons can't do. I hit 14 greens today and had 38 PUTTS !!! Go figure
Hahaha. I had 4 3-putts on Sunday! I think though, with more GIRs, comes more pressure on the flat stick.

I am 5-8, and playing red dots. I think that manufacturers and fitters, in general, set up for a too upright swing. Lie angles didn't used to be as they are today. I have always thought that this is a result of people wanting to see the ball go high and right to left, and the additional distance that comes with that ball flight.

The Ping fitting chart read that I needed green dot and I wound up with purple dot. The wrist to floor measurement really does mean anything, it's the lie angle when you make contact with the ball. Static measurement will be one thing and the dynamic measurement will give you the lie angle you need. I have always had to bend my wedges more flat, so I expected my lie angle to be flat. Static measurement(wrist to floor) was 3/4 degree upright and when we finally got the dynamic number it was 1 1/2 degrees flat. Big difference.

Grips are such a personal thing. I think folks who like tour velvets might be ok, but I have always played some form of chords, and for humid weather in KY, there is nothing better than a chord grip.

Absolutely. I have a friend that put Ping grips on his non-Ping clubs, because he likes them.. I've been playing and like the Golf Pride multi-compound grips, and trust me.. I know humidity - I'm in South Louisiana!

Absolutely. I have a friend that put Ping grips on his non-Ping clubs, because he likes them.. I've been playing and like the Golf Pride multi-compound grips, and trust me.. I know humidity - I'm in South Louisiana!
Louisiana? I guess you do know what humidity is...lol

due to a veritable crapload of stuff going on the last month or two, I've only played twice in the last 6 weeks. I got out yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and I'm always a little leery going into a round with that much time off and no practice. Didn't even warm up before, so I wasn't expecting much. As has been the case many times already since I bought these clubs, my i25's were the difference. I hit 9 greens and on most of the ones I didn't hit, my chipping with the PW (W) has gotten better and better. Had a few 1-putt par saves in this scenario. I ended up shooting 83, which ties my best on that course and had I not 3 putted at least 3 times when getting on in regulation, I could have hit a PB. Ended the round with 35 putts and it could have easily been 31 or 32. That's not the irons' fault. I still marvel at how well I get and keep these on line.

Its been said before but these long irons are just so forgiving. Ive never stepped over a 5i and had confidence I was going to hit it straight...now Im going to drop my 4 hybrid and get a 4i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

re: I25 4i - I absolutely pured two 4i shots sunday, neither hit the green, just left. Such great ball flight...

Its been said before but these long irons are just so forgiving. Ive never stepped over a 5i and had confidence I was going to hit it straight...now Im going to drop my 4 hybrid and get a 4i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 4 hybrid is going to the basement too.

Just out of curiosity are those of you putting the 4I back in the bag seeing the same distance that you were out of your 4H?

JohnD
I would say that I am getting about 5 yard less distance, but the improved accuracy more than offset's the little distance loss. The trajectory is what also impressed me. The design of the head helps get the ball up quick, but with the shorter shaft it is much easier to control. My I 25 4 iron is 381/2" long(1/4 over length) and your typical 4 hybrid is around 40" which makes it harder to control. I play in south Texas and the wind is always a factor and the 4 iron gets up quickly but it also has a good penetrating flight. Hope this helps.

Just out of curiosity are those of you putting the 4I back in the bag seeing the same distance that you were out of your 4H?

I see more consistent distance and ball flight compared to the Nike VR Pro hybrid I previously gamed. I would say it goes a little shorter than the hybrid would but more accurate.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured but thought I'd ask. While I can't get off the tee consistently, I seem to have found another gear with my irons lately and I'm pondering putting the i20 4I back in the bag, for the same reason. Might mess with my gaps a little, but that's just an excuse to demo different fairway wood & hybrid combos!

JohnD

From what I have read on here, the I 25 long irons have a better ball flight(higher) than the I 20's. You might want to check that out before you decide.

JohnD

From what I have read on here, the I 25 long irons have a better ball flight(higher) than the I 20's. You might want to check that out before you decide.

Same here. That said, I've been mashing the 5&6 irons, so I may give it a whirl regardless.

can someone talk to me about the cfs shafts? How soft/stiff are the reg flex and stiff flex?

can someone talk to me about the cfs shafts? How soft/stiff are the reg flex and stiff flex?

What I can tell you about the CFS shafts is that they are high launching across the spectrum of flexes, at least in my experience. I've played steel stiff shafts in all of my irons and usually whatever came stock up until I bought my i25s. I'm a high ball hitter anyway and even with the stiff CFS, the ball flight was just ballooning on me. So I went through a more extensive fitting and ended up going with 110g KBS Tour shafts, which got me the perfect trajectory. For someone who struggles to get the ball up high, though, the combination of the CFS shaft and the i25 head is MONEY. I found the CFS shafts to be very consistent as well, just not the right launch for me.

What I can tell you about the CFS shafts is that they are high launching across the spectrum of flexes, at least in my experience. I've played steel stiff shafts in all of my irons and usually whatever came stock up until I bought my i25s. I'm a high ball hitter anyway and even with the stiff CFS, the ball flight was just ballooning on me. So I went through a more extensive fitting and ended up going with 110g KBS Tour shafts, which got me the perfect trajectory. For someone who struggles to get the ball up high, though, the combination of the CFS shaft and the i25 head is MONEY. I found them the CFS shafts to be very consistent as well, just not the right launch for me.

Thanks

Some further reading seems to say they might play a tad softer in flex than other comparisons, with a mix of opinions on ballooning or just a good solid high ball flight (surely is an individual swing/preference factor).

Thoughts on flex from you guys playing the CFS shafts?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Some further reading seems to say they might play a tad softer in flex than other comparisons, with a mix of opinions on ballooning or just a good solid high ball flight (surely is an individual swing/preference factor).

Thoughts on flex from you guys playing the CFS shafts?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I play the CFS in X flex and can say it plays true to flex and I never have a "ballooning" shot. I hit the ball higher with the CFS-X than the X100 but it's not a drastic difference.

I've spent the last week hitting an S55 7i with X100 vs an i25 7i with CFS-X. What I have found after hours of balls and launch monitor time is a 1.5 degree launch difference for me between the two with my late release swing.

My test numbers:
PING i25 7i CFS-X: Launch Angle: 18°, Ball Speed: 119MPH, Spin: 7000RPM, Cary: 168, Total: 170
PING S55 7i DG X100: Launch Angle: 16.5°, Ball Speed: 118MPH, Spin: 6600RPM, Cary: 167, Total: 170

So, as you can see the test was pretty much a wash for me. I hit the ball higher with the i25 setup but overall the distance is the same so I ended up just sticking with the i25's till I get the itch to play something else. Remember though when it comes to shafts people who release the club later see different results than people who have another type of release.

Back